Tire, Wheel, Brake & Suspension Welcome to the FitFreak.net Tire, Wheel, Brake & Suspension Forum

Any suggestions on rims and tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Any suggestions on rims and tires?

All four rims and tires were stolen a few weeks ago. Im driving 2009 Honda Fit Sport. Does any of you have suggestions on what rims and tires I should get? The OEM tire size is P185/55 R16 83H.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:45 AM
I suggest no rotas,xxr, drag, Konig, or any other knock off. How bout some rotiforms?
What are you looking for in wheels? Hellaflush,tucked,OEM,etc.?
What size interests you? Stock 16", or 17", or down size to 15"?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Cool I would look at Tirerack.com

Originally Posted by LscAndrew
All four rims and tires were stolen a few weeks ago. Im driving 2009 Honda Fit Sport. Does any of you have suggestions on what rims and tires I should get? The OEM tire size is P185/55 R16 83H.
Lighter wheels and tires make the car handle much better.

I switched my 2010 Sport to 15" wheels.

The RPF1's seem to be popular, and are one of the lightest most reasonably priced wheels, but I did not like the style...

I like my Yokohama Avid Envigor tires...but even though they are all-saeson they aren't great in snow, but I have snow tires...

Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but first of all, Im a complete newbie on after market, so excuse me, I have to search up on internet every word you just said. lol.

I guess I need to decide on rims first,
Does down sizing to 15" affect the speedometer and mileage? Do I have to make adjustments? If it's too complicated, I would stick with 16".

Enkei RPF1 is so light in weight! 9.5lb only! I am worried about the strength and safety of it tho. Im more interested in the Enkei Tuning SC03.
Also, I was told that, "Aggressive fitment on wheels less than ET42. Fender lip rolling and or camber adjustment may be required!". Does normal auto shop technicians know how to do this?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I saw some pretty bad a$$ wheels on tirerack, not sure of the quality though. TRMotorsports which is probably a knock off but they are super light. 12.8lbs for 15" and 15.2lbs for 16". Look pretty good and actually really inexpensive which hopefully doesn't translate into el cheapo. Anyone have any experience with these?

Wheels for 2007 Honda Fit Sport

Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 PM
??

[QUOTE=Bthasht;1055544]I suggest no rotas,xxr, drag, Konig, or any other knock off. How bout some rotiforms?

I really like the look of some of the XXRs. Are they garbage though?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by LscAndrew
I guess I need to decide on rims first,
Does down sizing to 15" affect the speedometer and mileage? Do I have to make adjustments? If it's too complicated, I would stick with 16".

Enkei RPF1 is so light in weight! 9.5lb only! I am worried about the strength and safety of it tho. Im more interested in the Enkei Tuning SC03.
Also, I was told that, "Aggressive fitment on wheels less than ET42. Fender lip rolling and or camber adjustment may be required!". Does normal auto shop technicians know how to do this?
The lighter wheels increase the mileage.

As long as the tires have the same overall diameter, the speedometer will not be affected.

I am using 195-60/15 Yokohama Avid Envigors...24.2" outer diameter same as factory 16" Dunlops...

Wider wheels offset the high offset number of the factory wheels. Mine are 15 X 6.5" (40 offset) and do not rub and did not require any modifications...

Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by concorde
If you want to stay stock, my excellent condition '10 Sport rims with 10k miles on the tires are for sale.......
I would like to buy them from you, but the thing is Im in Toronto, ON, Canada

Old 12-10-2011, 03:39 PM
^^Uuummmm correct me if im wrong here, but are your wheels not XXR?
These:
http://discounttires.com/product_det...=1&zmap=270247

But yeah XXR is garbage. Very poorly made knock offs. The TRMotorsports are a decent wheel made for racing. The enkei rpf1 are of high quality and I would not worry so much about them bending at all, but technically they are even knock offs of the discontinued Racing Harts. Dont get me wrong RPF1s are very good wheel just stating the obvious.

Last edited by Bthasht; 12-10-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 AM
yea, that does put a damper on things.. sorry my friend or else i'd practically give the entire set to you. again, sorry about your loss. i hate it when vermin like that wrong others.
Well, thanks. Im so sad about this but now I have an opportunity to buy some after market rims. =P

Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by Bthasht
^^Uuummmm correct me if im wrong here, but are your wheels not XXR?

But yeah XXR is garbage. Very poorly made knock offs. The TRMotorsports are a decent wheel made for racing. The enkei rpf1 are of high quality and I would not worry so much about them bending at all, but technically they are even knock offs of the discontinued Racing Harts. Dont get me wrong RPF1s are very good wheel just stating the obvious.
lol, why so serious? This is a joke, of coz he knows his rims are XXR and of coz it's the 519 series that he mentions.

I think as long as you are not using ur fit for racing, it really doesn't matter what rims you are using. I care more about appearance than performance. Just saying.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
The lighter wheels increase the mileage.

As long as the tires have the same overall diameter, the speedometer will not be affected.

I am using 195-60/15 Yokohama Avid Envigors...24.2" outer diameter same as factory 16" Dunlops...

Wider wheels offset the high offset number of the factory wheels. Mine are 15 X 6.5" (40 offset) and do not rub and did not require any modifications...
Thank you for the information! For rims I have decided to buy a set of Enkei Tuning SC03, with Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (205/50R16) for tires. The rims have a offset of +43mm. Im not sure if this needs to be modified. =/

Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
I recently bought a set of 16"X6.5" 45mm offset 12.8 lb Kosei F4R wheels..I have 205-50-16 Goodyear GTs mounted on them with no clearance problems.. I still have my 15X7 41mm offset wheels but even with 195-55-15" tires I have had some issues with rubbing due to the offset and width.. Nothing bad but there have been times when the tires make contact with the inside of the fenders.. Mostly on bumpy tight curves... The less the amount of offset toward the hub the more wear you will have on axle bearings, suspensions and steering components..... You may not feel it with a stock engine but there is an increase in torque steer when pulling out to pass or changing lanes with the throttle pedal down.... I had 16X7 38mm offset wheels on it for a little while and the whole experience was silly, even with 195-45-16 tires... The lower the offset the heavier the wheel also. Though the weight is close to the center of the wheel and doesn't have as large an effect as rotating mass it does affect the suspension as unsprung weight.. I am very pleased with the Kosei wheels and Goodyear GT tires though they aren't quite as light as the RPF1s and Conti Contact tires..

Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I recently bought a set of 16"X6.5" 45mm offset 12.8 lb Kosei F4R wheels..I have 205-50-16 Goodyear GTs mounted on them with no clearance problems.. I still have my 15X7 41mm offset wheels but even with 195-55-15" tires I have had some issues with rubbing due to the offset and width.. Nothing bad but there have been times when the tires make contact with the inside of the fenders.. Mostly on bumpy tight curves... The less the amount of offset toward the hub the more wear you will have on axle bearings, suspensions and steering components..... You may not feel it with a stock engine but there is an increase in torque steer when pulling out to pass or changing lanes with the throttle pedal down.... I had 16X7 38mm offset wheels on it for a little while and the whole experience was silly, even with 195-45-16 tires... The lower the offset the heavier the wheel also. Though the weight is close to the center of the wheel and doesn't have as large an effect as rotating mass it does affect the suspension as unsprung weight.. I am very pleased with the Kosei wheels and Goodyear GT tires though they aren't quite as light as the RPF1s and Conti Contact tires..
This is good to know! According to you, a 16"x7" 43mm offset rim plus a 205/50 R16 tire must have rubbing issue! right? How should I fix this

Old 12-11-2011, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
It was with the 15X7"41mm offset and 195-55-15 I had a slight problem with... It wasn't as bad as with 16x7 38mm offset with 195-45-16s.. With 205 50-16s on the 16X7 38mm offset the fenders were gouging the tire where the tread and sidewall meet.. The suspension was dropped about 1.5 inches.. On 16X6.5-45mm offset the 205 50 16s are doing fine, as I stated in my first 2 sentences of my last post. Tires of marked as being the same size as those of another brand can be of a different height or width, meaning that the same size of one brand may work fine but in another brand will have clearance problems. So your car has 205-50-16"s on 16"x7" 43mm offset and rub? ??. Oh I get it you meant to use this smilie

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 12-11-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 AM
It was with the 15X7"41mm offset and 195-55-15 I had a slight problem with... It wasn't as bad as with 16x7 38mm offset with 195-45-16s.. With 205 50-16s on the 16X7 38mm offset the fenders were gouging the tire where the tread and sidewall meet.. The suspension was dropped about 1.5 inches.. On 16X6.5-45mm offset the 205 50 16s are doing fine, as I stated in my first 2 sentences of my last post. Tires of marked as being the same size as those of another brand can be of a different height or width, meaning that the same size of one brand may work fine but in another brand
I see, this means, I won't know unless I try putting them on, right? lol. but if they have rubbing issue, can it be solved or I just have to purchase another set of rims and tires? This concerns me the most, I don't want to keep buying and selling.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Well what I did was have 205-50-16s mounted on wheels I already had and after raising the height of my rear suspension as high as I could took off to my granddaughters 3rd birthday party 100 miles away and nearly went crazy when even the slightest bump would cause the fender to slice into the tire... The manager of the place that installed them and test drove the car to make sure it wasn't too close a fit weighed less than I do had no trouble.. It was rubbing on the way home so I raised it up and adjusted my rear dampers at their stiffest setting which was better but not enough... I ordered new wheels to mount the tires on after I arrived home in the wee hours of the morning... The ones I had were too heavy anyway...

Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Even if you are into looks more than performance, It is a good idea to take the weight of the wheel into consideration.... If you have ever ridden a mountain bike along side a person that is at the same level of fitness as you are on a skinny tired road bike with very light wheels, you already know about the difference reduced rotating mass makes... Lighter wheels are about the best thing you can do for your car both in terms of performance and extending the life of your car.. It will improve acceleration, braking, suspension function,fuel mileage in stop and go city driving and lighten the steering feel... Lighter wheels will also lengthen the life of the drivetrain, steering, brake and steering components.... I'm kind of sold on lighter wheels, I suppose it is obvious...

Old 12-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Bingo!

...carry on gents
Yeah. Holla at me when you bend them on a pothole. Mine is all looks as well.

Even if you are into looks more than performance, It is a good idea to take the weight of the wheel into consideration.... If you have ever ridden a mountain bike along side a person that is at the same level of fitness as you are on a skinny tired road bike with very light wheels, you already know about the difference reduced rotating mass makes... Lighter wheels are about the best thing you can do for your car both in terms of performance and extending the life of your car.. It will improve acceleration, braking, suspension function,fuel mileage in stop and go city driving and lighten the steering feel... Lighter wheels will also lengthen the life of the drivetrain, steering, brake and steering components.... I'm kind of sold on lighter wheels, I suppose it is obvious...
This best put by Texas himself. Quality does matter.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm currently considering these two sets of rims.

Enkei SC03
Price: $600.00
Size: 16x7
Offset: 43mm
Rec. Tire Size: 205/50-16
Weight: 19.0lbs.
Pros: A lot more choices of tires
Cons: Heavy in weight

Kosei K4R
Price: $636.00
Size: 16x6.5
Offset: 45mm
Rec. Tire Size: 185/55-16
Weight: 12.8lbs.
Pros: Light in weight
Cons: Very limited selection of tires, only 3 sets are available, and all 3 of them do not have good ratings

Another question:
Should I purchase summer tires or all-season tires, given that I already have a set of snow tires. Also given that the prices are about the same.

Last edited by LscAndrew; 12-12-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions on rims and tires?