The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

WTF is up with all the ricers!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
Some people look at my car and call it rice, and there probable right. People have different taste and goals with there cars there is no reason to start calling people out especially when you get upset when others call you out. See my sig for what I think a better definition of rice is.

by the way why are you getting your feelings hurt? noone has said you were a ricer? it certain people and they know who you are! everyone is getting there pussy hurt when i say ricer! im just stateing a fact about spray painting everything in theyre engine bay and puting long strips of leds out in the open with out being hidden! really im talking about the people that have put the long strip of leds on the back of theyre cars off a truck and make it a third brake light!!

fyi nobody said you were rice!!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I disagree completely.

Ricers are the reason people are hesitant to rent lots and tracks to the tuning community.

Ricing your car is not tuning by any stretch of the imagination.

Bolting on parts is not tuning. The fast and the furious is very much part of the problem in encouraging these knuckle dragging mouth breathing retards, and they give many people who actually build and tune a bad name.

The police give the rest of us a hard time as a result. Sanctioning bodies become harder to convince in letting us use facilities because of the mental image of some jack off in a plasti-chromed, slammed vatozone built POS doing a one-wheel-peel through a parking lot or down a busy street.

The ones who leave a shootout or a quick 16 event and immediately try to street race anyone who will give them a second look.

You can be a ricer at 20 or 40, in a domestic or an import. It is a state of mind, and it is a cancer on the hobby that so many of us enjoy and work to support in our communities.

You bring up some interesting points, but the major difference in our arguments is that you are referring to a "ricer" as a person. I am referring to a "ricer" in terms of a car with cheap bolt on parts or cheesy mods.

I'm certainly not going to argue that there aren't idiots performing brakestands in the parking lots at shows. Like you said, they are probably the same ones revving on you at a red light in their Cavalier.

The problem with using the term "ricer" to describe people like this is that it's not always people in Japanese cars making these stupid moves. I have seen more than my fair share of moronic mustang and "sport truck" owners pulling crap like this on New England's streets and at shows.

But I think it's unfair to use the term "ricer" to describe this behavior. As a result you are inadvertantly associating Japanese car owners with these irresponsible drivers.

I know that bolt-on parts don't count as "tuning." But they are the first step for someone that is looking to get involved in the tuning community for the first time. If they are getting made fun of on forums or at events for trying to customize their car, you are taking away from any motivation they might have to improve on it.

Teasing someone for mods that you personally think are ugly is not a good way to promote growth in this hobby we all enjoy. I'm certainly not writing this to make myself sound like the Ghandi of the tuning world, we've all made fun of someone's car in the past. All I'm saying is that if we want to grow our sport, we have to be supportive and welcoming of those who might not know as much as we do.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 AM
OP: How are the tow hooks (which were included with the sale and are being sold tomorrow morning, I <3 free money) rice while your winglets are not?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by 2Legit2Fit
You bring up some interesting points, but the major difference in our arguments is that you are referring to a "ricer" as a person. I am referring to a "ricer" in terms of a car with cheap bolt on parts or cheesy mods.

I'm certainly not going to argue that there aren't idiots performing brakestands in the parking lots at shows. Like you said, they are probably the same ones revving on you at a red light in their Cavalier.

The problem with using the term "ricer" to describe people like this is that it's not always people in Japanese cars making these stupid moves. I have seen more than my fair share of moronic mustang and "sport truck" owners pulling crap like this on New England's streets and at shows.

But I think it's unfair to use the term "ricer" to describe this behavior. As a result you are inadvertantly associating Japanese car owners with these irresponsible drivers.

I know that bolt-on parts don't count as "tuning." But they are the first step for someone that is looking to get involved in the tuning community for the first time. If they are getting made fun of on forums or at events for trying to customize their car, you are taking away from any motivation they might have to improve on it.

Teasing someone for mods that you personally think are ugly is not a good way to promote growth in this hobby we all enjoy. I'm certainly not writing this to make myself sound like the Ghandi of the tuning world, we've all made fun of someone's car in the past. All I'm saying is that if we want to grow our sport, we have to be supportive and welcoming of those who might not know as much as we do.
You conveniently missed the last sentence of my post it seems:

You can be a ricer at 20 or 40, in a domestic or an import. It is a state of mind, and it is a cancer on the hobby that so many of us enjoy and work to support in our communities.
And teasing the owners of these wheeled abortions should be encouraged, or they won't go away. Peer pressure is an amazing tool in this case. Their mere existence makes ours more difficult.

Again, I disagree that this is their first step in the 'tuning' world. They are not part of our 'sport.' They are hurting us in the eyes of the public and the law.

There are many paths they can take, cosmetics and fart cans is the route taken by those who will not be contributing to the community. This is the stuff done by the intellectually lazy and incurious.

It's not just about ugly mods either, many times it is about safety and legality. I am not talking about legalities like passing emissions either.

All these people need to do is a little research, buy a service manual and some basic hand tools, a jack some stands and wheel chocks and they can do >85% of the tasks, modifications and repair they want/need at home.

I am sick of seeing spray paint parts, bondo'd body panels, jb weld on everything and just a general lack of knowledge or attempts to gain some.

Not everybody hacked their first car to death in the process of learning. Not everyone should be motivated or encouraged.

It's like giving out participation trophies to all the losers, so feelings don't get hurt. In the end nothing is learned and no further attempts are made to better themselves because of it.

If you drive a POS of your own design everyday, and people let you know it, typically one would change course or try and better themselves. I've seen it, and many people I know wouldn't take the constructive criticism of myself and others until we straight up started shunning them and stopped loaning tools to them so they could slam their car on some springs, rub/shave wheels and rip off body panels in the process.

After enough embarrassment and being stuck on the side of the road or in an ugly neighborhood downtown looking for their bumper after it falls off on a speed hump and they didn't notice because they were bumping music so loud, people come around.

Now I am helping several people rehab what they have done to their poor vehicles over the years.

If I have a chance this week I'll take a few pics of this kid from my neighborhoods formerly beautiful IS300 that he hacked to death.

He finally had enough of shit braking down, falling off, making terrible noises and just getting laughed at and now we are working on his car to make it fun and respectable again..

Another kid needed us to do an engine swap in his prelude after he did god knows what to his MAF sensor and it cost him what was otherwise a perfectly good H22.

He too has now seen the error of his ways, and unfortunately his epiphany came in the form of a $1100 engine and a few cases of beer to rent our time.

Do not encourage stupid people nor underestimate their power in large numbers. It almost landed us Sarah Palin as VP for fucks sake.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-10-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
The whole "modding" scene of changing and adding things to a car encourages attempts of creatively changing the appearance of ones car with non performance enhancing parts that are soon dated, laughed at and designated as being rice.... After market parts and out dated cosmetic parts will one day be looked upon as being nostalgic and people will be recreating the look of cars in "The Fast And The Furious" and they will be called rat ricers... Just wait, it will happen. As I have said many times, performance modifications never go out of style.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 01-10-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by nxtfit_08
by the way why are you getting your feelings hurt? noone has said you were a ricer? it certain people and they know who you are! everyone is getting there pussy hurt when i say ricer! im just stateing a fact about spray painting everything in theyre engine bay and puting long strips of leds out in the open with out being hidden! really im talking about the people that have put the long strip of leds on the back of theyre cars off a truck and make it a third brake light!!

fyi nobody said you were rice!!!!
I am by no means upset or have my feelings hurt, I think you miss under stood what I was tring to say. I was just saying others might look at my car and say that thing is riced. for example I have been called a fag for driving a Fit buy some guy in a Lincoln on shitty chrome 20" and another guy in a crown vic gave me the thumbs down. What I was trying to say was what you may look at as rice othere might see as cool. Rice is more of a attitude then a styling, all though most times they do go hand and hand.

I know exactly who your talking about and calling a ricer. I may not agree with what there doing with there car but its there car if there happy then good for them. When I see a post of there's I just ignore it and go on with my day. I may still be young but I do know you cant change a persons mind especially when your rude aboot it and call them names.

Last edited by MNfit; 01-10-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:20 PM
You conveniently missed the last sentence of my post it seems:
I didn't miss it, I understand what you are saying. But if people see someone in a V6 Mustang ripping donuts at a Sonic and start calling that person a "ricer," there is an automatic correlation to Japanese cars, specifically Honda's. That's what worries me.

I certainly wouldn't encourage someone with a 4 inch exhaust tip on their 92 Accord to keep going in that direction with their build. If something looks awful or chessy, I have no problem calling them out on it. But referring to the person as a "ricer" just gets you no where. I'm not saying the horrible mods shouldn't be pointed out, I just believe that continually throwing the term "ricer" around, especially at horribly modded vehicles, is only going to make it that much more difficult to gain credibility when building a Japanese car.

What you are doing for your friends is exactly what I was saying before. Obviously they didn't know what they were doing, and it took the help of some experienced builders to get them on the right track.

I just don't think it's okay to make fun of them for trying, or anyone for that matter. Tony Hawk wouldn't roll up on a kid trying to learn to skateboard and harass him for not being able to do a kick-flip. All I'm saying is that if we want to see the industry grow, it's better to educate than to hate.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Except for the black painted grille opening all of the changes in my car's looks and sound are performance related, the dark window tint is common in Texas due to the environment.. Still it does turn heads and little boys seem to get excited seeing it when I am in town to pick up the mail... I think that a lot of people are shocked that an big old bearded man with long hair, disable vet licence plates and a handicapped parking placard is driving it.... I sometimes laugh at some cars I see that beat all to crap, have tote the note car dealer stickers on them and wheels, tires, and chrome mufflers that don't sound like crap but I don't feel disdain or hatred of them. I save emotions like hatred for the people that are in powerful positions and are screwing up the world I live in while they are robbing us and wiping out the middle class making it a world of haves and have nots. Wait a minute, I have a 4" diameter exhaust outlet.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 01-10-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  IMG_5242.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  146.8 KB

Hella Flush garbage ???? do you even use that roof rack ??? I am sorry bro but your just plain gay your self.

is this your next step ?? since your fallowing the scene and all
Name:  camber.jpg
Views: 10257
Size:  93.9 KB

what happened ??? your ride looked nice before ?

fitpics2006.jpg?t=1244951467

Old 01-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
^^that is hardly the trend that is just one obscure car in Japan.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Noxm09

Hella Flush garbage ???? do you even use that roof rack ??? I am sorry bro but your just plain gay your self.

is this your next step ?? since your fallowing the scene and all

what happened ??? your ride looked nice before ?

who the fuck are you calling hellaflush garbage!!!!!!!!!!! i really guess you are a newbie who are you to talk shit about my car what does yours look like? maybe like this!!!

or like this?

your car looks great bro!! and as for the comment about my car i really dont care what you say!! everyone here is always talking shit about the flush stance and the roof rack really doesnt have anything on it beacause im in the proscess of getting some bikes and racks! so if you dont know my plans dont say shit!!!

Last edited by nxtfit_08; 01-10-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
^^that is hardly the trend that is just one obscure car in Japan.

but he would know that if he knew anything about cars!!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 PM
fitpics2006.jpg?t=1244951467

That does look pretty nice. Was that your ride at one point?

Also, hellaflush is absolutely retarded as a trend.

It's about as aesthetically pleasing leprosy. Not too mention pointless.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-10-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
That looks like my car except my car is silver with black wheels sits higher in the rear and the lower grille opening and fog light housings are black.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member

That does look pretty nice. Was that your ride at one point?

at one point but im going for a different aproch im going euro with the whole conversion front,rear, and jazz side skirts so really i got over the makeing it look jdm but thanks!

im still trying to understand why everyone is saying that hella flush is ricer? i dont get it cause theres people on here that are going for the race look and others for vip and all vip cars are fitted!!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
It really doesn't matter if people think your car is hellaflush, riced out, JDM, euro, etc.

In my opinion, if your modifications are done the right way they will look good. And by the "right way" I mean quality products, close attention to the smallest details, and keeping everything clean.

I would drive a hellaflush car just as soon as I would drive the Maxima from the Fast and the Furious. It really doesn't matter what mods you do to your car as long as they're done cleanly and maintained properly.

It's no different than people not getting their cars into magazines or winning shows because it's rolling on Rota's or XXR's. Rare JDM pieces are all fine and good, but these expensive pieces are taking away from the difficult custom work other people are doing. It's like spending 100 hours on a custom fiberglass sub enclosure, but it gets no respect because it's housing Sony Xplods. Hating on someone for not having the highest quality brands on their car is immature and disrespectful.

Most people are building on a limited budget, and there is nothing wrong with that. But it's these budget minded people that also need to be taught that, "If you don't have the money or the time to do the job right, then wait!"

Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I didn't miss it, I understand what you are saying. But if people see someone in a V6 Mustang ripping donuts at a Sonic and start calling that person a "ricer," there is an automatic correlation to Japanese cars, specifically Honda's. That's what worries me.

I certainly wouldn't encourage someone with a 4 inch exhaust tip on their 92 Accord to keep going in that direction with their build. If something looks awful or chessy, I have no problem calling them out on it. But referring to the person as a "ricer" just gets you no where. I'm not saying the horrible mods shouldn't be pointed out, I just believe that continually throwing the term "ricer" around, especially at horribly modded vehicles, is only going to make it that much more difficult to gain credibility when building a Japanese car.

What you are doing for your friends is exactly what I was saying before. Obviously they didn't know what they were doing, and it took the help of some experienced builders to get them on the right track.

I just don't think it's okay to make fun of them for trying, or anyone for that matter. Tony Hawk wouldn't roll up on a kid trying to learn to skateboard and harass him for not being able to do a kick-flip. All I'm saying is that if we want to see the industry grow, it's better to educate than to hate.

You can't educate the obstinate. It took months of merciless abuse by strangers, family and friends till they could swallow their pride and let us help.

Ricer is a term that is going to stay. The stigma attached to it is part of why it is effective and it IS a mindset.

That is how everyone else sees it. You can still look like a kid if you drive like a dick, even in a million dollar car, if it looks and sounds like shit.

So I think you're just gonna have to get over it. Sorry if it offends you, but this is the real world and you are on a public forum. The wasteland section no less.

I love to actually help people who want to better themselves, but if they insist on doing something stupid or obnoxious with it, I withdraw my offer and support. I've seen it too many times to care about how you feel it reflects on the japanese car community.

If people don't want to be treated like retards or fanbois stop acting like them.

You don't need to have the most JDM'd ride in the world just for the sake of being able to point at a given piece of gaudy useless plastic on your car and pronounce it JDM.

I about bust a gasket when people ask to look under the hood of any of my cars and the first goddamn words out of their mouth are "Is that JDM, bro?" It happens surprisingly often, and even in my buddies G35S, which has zero JDM parts on it as well. There is like a dedicated crowd of these d-bags with tilted ball caps, echo shirts, fake chains in a Honda Civic shouting Nice JDM BRO!

Then the second question they ask is "how much boost you runnin, bro?"

"What stage is your turbo, bro?"

Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
It really doesn't matter if people think your car is hellaflush, riced out, JDM, euro, etc.

In my opinion, if your modifications are done the right way they will look good. And by the "right way" I mean quality products, close attention to the smallest details, and keeping everything clean.

I would drive a hellaflush car just as soon as I would drive the Maxima from the Fast and the Furious. It really doesn't matter what mods you do to your car as long as they're done cleanly and maintained properly.

It's no different than people not getting their cars into magazines or winning shows because it's rolling on Rota's or XXR's. Rare JDM pieces are all fine and good, but these expensive pieces are taking away from the difficult custom work other people are doing. It's like spending 100 hours on a custom fiberglass sub enclosure, but it gets no respect because it's housing Sony Xplods. Hating on someone for not having the highest quality brands on their car is immature and disrespectful.

Most people are building on a limited budget, and there is nothing wrong with that. But it's these budget minded people that also need to be taught that, "If you don't have the money or the time to do the job right, then wait!"

WOW you actully paid atention about what i was saying theres no reason to spray paint eveything or to put led light everywhere cause they think it looks cool think it out a little bit harder before you do it!

and as for hellaflush it always been around just people didnt really know about it until the vip cars started to come out and as for stretching tires that all started back in the late 80s early 90s in europe cause they were trying to make the wheels fit under the fenderwell since thats the law over there in germany and it all started with the vw!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
You can't educate the obstinate. It took months of merciless abuse by strangers, family and friends till they could swallow their pride and let us help.

Ricer is a term that is going to stay. The stigma attached to it is part of why it is effective and it IS a mindset.

That is how everyone else sees it. You can still look like a kid if you drive like a dick, even in a million dollar car, if it looks and sounds like shit.

So I think you're just gonna have to get over it. Sorry if it offends you, but this is the real world and you are on a public forum. The wasteland section no less.

I love to actually help people who want to better themselves, but if they insist on doing something stupid or obnoxious with it, I withdraw my offer and support. I've seen it too many times to care about how you feel it reflects on the japanese car community.

If people don't want to be treated like retards or fanbois stop acting like them.

You don't need to have the most JDM'd ride in the world just for the sake of being able to point at a given piece of gaudy useless plastic on your car and pronounce it JDM.

I about bust a gasket when people ask to look under the hood of any of my cars and the first goddamn words out of their mouth are "Is that JDM, bro?" It happens surprisingly often, and even in my buddies G35S, which has zero JDM parts on it as well. There is like a dedicated crowd of these d-bags with tilted ball caps, echo shirts, fake chains in a Honda Civic shouting Nice JDM BRO!

Then the second question they ask is "how much boost you runnin, bro?"

"What stage is your turbo, bro?"

thats funny!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Your car did look really quite nice man, even though the japanese license tags look just as out of place as the german tags you see on BMWs MBs and Audis. But those are still pretty subtle and not obnoxious, just odd

Originally Posted by nxtfit_08

im still trying to understand why everyone is saying that hella flush is ricer? i dont get it cause theres people on here that are going for the race look and others for vip and all vip cars are fitted!!
Because they are rice.

And sure as hell don't look "race" prepped or "VIP." They look like you should pray that you don't bottom out on a pothole and have your tire forcibly remove the inside of your wheel well.

Or jamming the sidewall into the knuckle or the shock perch. Or catching a rock between the sidewall and the road on stretched tires causing a blow out and endangering those around you... or having the fucking tire roll off the rim in a hard corner.. again endangering those around you.

That is just how the rest of the tuning community sees these stupid trends.

Whatever happened to "fast with class?"

I agree that not everyone can or should have the most expensive parts on their car.. but they should at least be authentic parts.

When you buy knock off TiAl BOVs/wastegates or china brand manifolds you are hurting the companies that took the time to do the R&D in the effort to support the community.

Take your flushed/dumped/donked ride to the techs at an event run by a recognized body NASA/NHRA/LSR whatever and see what they have to say.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-10-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: WTF is up with all the ricers!!