The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

Do NOT Text and Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
You know what's ironic, right?

The guy filming it is holding his iphone up while driving too. If it had been mounted, it'd be different.

Never saw the condition of the other driver. After the wall impact, and lack of control following that, I'd bet it was more of a "condition" than texting.

Some people are drunk, some black out due to medical conditions, some fall asleep... etc.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Yea I totally get what you're saying, but I believe, IMO, texting is worse because you're looking down at a small screen. Atleast the driver recording, in this case atleast, was recording and driving at the same time. He wasn't just pre-occupied by typing. All shoot and go. But they're both still wrong.

You might be right about the condition. Well it did say on the second video that he saw the driver texting and he tried to make him stop but to no avail. Too bad there's no follow up on what happened..

Old 06-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Comment:
"OMG, is the railing ok?" <- i lol'd

But seriously, the guy with the camera was focusing his full attention on the driver and road in front, he just happened to be holding a camera at the same time. And you are probably right, that dude had to be under the influence of something...

Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
The moron should never get behind the wheel again. He blew his chance of being a driver. Son of a bitch nearly killed innocent others.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
where was the texting?

wouldn't a texter have and swerved, braked hard (not just a quick tap like in the video), or something after one of the many impacts?

seemed more like the driver was passing out/sleeping, drunk, or high on something

Old 07-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
where was the texting?

wouldn't a texter have and swerved, braked hard (not just a quick tap like in the video), or something after one of the many impacts?

seemed more like the driver was passing out/sleeping, drunk, or high on something
I doubt the driver was texting.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
I'll admit texting and driving is a challenge, for your "average" driver it's not a good idea. The guy swerving in this video I think we all can agree was under the influence.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Everyday that my wife comes home from work she is griping about people being all over the road, running stop signs or driving way to slowly while talking on cell phones or texting... I have had to pull onto the shoulder of a road because of a guy tailgating so closely only to have him pull over also while still right on my back bumper... I know there are people that swear they can drive while doing something else that requires their attention but more than likely they are also on some form of prescribed medication like the majority of the population and probably shouldn't be driving or drinking much less using any form of communication device at the same time.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Another overblown scarefest. Media loves to gobble this crap up. Shit drivers are shit drivers. Give them a phone, a pizza, a vibrator, whatever it happens to be, and they'll find a way to screw up.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
I picked up on the fact that people with cell phones pressed to their ear while driving was creating hazardous conditions for others on the road long before the media had picked it up as a topic to exploit

Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Another overblown scarefest. Media loves to gobble this crap up. Shit drivers are shit drivers. Give them a phone, a pizza, a vibrator, whatever it happens to be, and they'll find a way to screw up.
Your posts are the best.

I only want 20 posts so I might as well post another useless thing.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
I had to watch a woman in front of me... talk on her cell phone.

No hands free... yet both hands were on the steering wheel.

When she made the turn... I saw her talking like the people at home would talk on a home line... neck craned to one side squeezing the phone between the head and shoulder.

I'm thinking to myself... if she so much as thinks the phone is slipping, we're all screwed.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I had to watch a woman in front of me... talk on her cell phone.

No hands free... yet both hands were on the steering wheel.

When she made the turn... I saw her talking like the people at home would talk on a home line... neck craned to one side squeezing the phone between the head and shoulder.

I'm thinking to myself... if she so much as thinks the phone is slipping, we're all screwed.

Sad thing happened to me yesterday...I was at a stoplight (red ofcourse) and I was looking at my phone just to see if I had any missed calls or txts (I was one turn away from my work place) I look to my left and voila! A cop on a bike sees me looking at my phone...got pulled over, good thing it was only a warning ticket..

The thing that irks me is I see A LOT, I mean a lot of people every single day that's on their phones and never gets caught

Oh...and after work, I got hit by a city bus...great way to start July!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
Sad thing happened to me yesterday...I was at a stoplight (red ofcourse) and I was looking at my phone just to see if I had any missed calls or txts (I was one turn away from my work place) I look to my left and voila! A cop on a bike sees me looking at my phone...got pulled over, good thing it was only a warning ticket..

The thing that irks me is I see A LOT, I mean a lot of people every single day that's on their phones and never gets caught

Oh...and after work, I got hit by a city bus...great way to start July!
Wow, what a crappy day. In Illinois we have a loophole for the no texting law, the law says it is legal to use the gps capabilities of our phone while driving. So regardless of what you are doing all you have to say is 'I was using my gps, officer' and they can't give you a ticket.

Also the law allows you to use your device if it is 'electronically integrated' into the car. This has never been tested, but most would agree that a USB connection with your radio is integration.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Wow, what a crappy day. In Illinois we have a loophole for the no texting law, the law says it is legal to use the gps capabilities of our phone while driving. So regardless of what you are doing all you have to say is 'I was using my gps, officer' and they can't give you a ticket.

Also the law allows you to use your device if it is 'electronically integrated' into the car. This has never been tested, but most would agree that a USB connection with your radio is integration.
Hmmm...maybe I'll try that next time...hoping there would be no next time though lol. Just got off the phone with the bus company and they said it was most likely their fault...Also got an estimate this morning and it was only $459...I was thinking of keeping the money and get tires instead of getting the scratch fixed...hmmm decisions decisions

Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 PM
so like a few hours ago, i was texting while driving.. but car was on cruise control going 60 on a 70 freeway. barely anyone on the road though. i'd never text when theres people on the road.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:14 AM
How can we prevent people from texting when there are still those among us who won't even buckle up?