Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   A/C Flush Questions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/100681-c-flush-questions.html)

Carlsat 05-25-2019 06:55 PM

A/C Flush Questions

I have a 2007 Sport Fit, probably 120K or so miles. I live in the deep south and the A/C stopped working about a week ago. I took some pressure readings (high on the low side and low on the high side) and I thought it might be the expansion valve. I got the system evacuated and took off the valve, and sure enough, the expansion valve was full of gunk. Unfortunately, it looks like there are little specks of metal mixed in with the gunk. I guess the compressor is tearing itself apart. I could easily slap another compressor on the car, but I'm guessing the whole system is full of gunk and metal, so I don't want to run the system and blow up my new parts.

I'm guessing I could take it to a shop and ask them to flush the system. If I do that, should I put on the new compressor and expansion valve? Or leave the old parts on? Anyone do this before?

Is there a DIY option? I'm pretty handy, but I've never had to work on the A/C until this weekend. I just replaced the evaporator in my van, so I'm getting my experience all at once.

Thanks for any help.

doctor J 05-31-2019 11:49 AM

A/c evaporator and condenser are very difficult to clean. Replace all components with good used

rerod 05-31-2019 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by doctor J (Post 1429634)
A/c evaporator and condenser are very difficult to clean. Replace all components with good used

The evap isn't as impossible to flush as the condenser but you may still have life in the old system. I saved the evap from a E350, but replaced everything else. Its doable and when your done (might have to do it twice) you know its done as well as it could be, probably better because you pulled it down longer , drier.

seditious3 06-01-2019 01:45 PM

Backflush! You can buy a piese that you splice into your radiator hose. You hook up your garden hose and flush the system by forcing everything backwards. That keeps the gunk from getting further into your system.

It's the proper way to do it.

JerrySFL 06-01-2019 08:06 PM

If you have metal pieces floating around in your system you need to replace everything in the system . Evaporator, expansion valve , high and low side hoses compressor and condenser . That’s really the only way to do it properly .
Check amazon for prices ,Compressor about 200 , evaporator with expansion valve 50 , condenser with filters 50 , suction and High pressure hoses 50 each, pag oil 10 and 134a $30.

seditious3 06-02-2019 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by JerrySFL (Post 1429695)
If you have metal pieces floating around in your system you need to replace everything in the system . Evaporator, expansion valve , high and low side hoses compressor and condenser . That’s really the only way to do it properly .
Check amazon for prices ,Compressor about 200 , evaporator with expansion valve 50 , condenser with filters 50 , suction and High pressure hoses 50 each, pag oil 10 and 134a $30.

Agreed, I spaced on the metal pieces floating around.

JerrySFL 06-02-2019 11:40 AM

If you check ebay also ,you will find good prices on used low mileage compressors , hard lines and hoses at a reasonable prices, I would buy a new condenser/ filter drier since there is not much of a price difference and its a part that is subject to be easily damaged.