1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Speaker wear and Integrated Bluetooth installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 01:56 PM
Speaker wear and Integrated Bluetooth installation

Hello Internet!

The drivers door speaker on my 2008 GD3 Fit is a mess - bass comes out as noise, quite a lot of static, and generally speaking it sounds like tuning into an FM station from underground. The other 4 speakers appear to be fine. My headunit is stock, and it seems the previous owner wired an auxillary cable to the back of it - it just comes out of the glovebox. The thing about the auxillary cable is this: if I wiggle it around while using it with a phone, for a split second I can get the malfunctioning speaker to produce good sound, but it's impossible to find a sweet spot and keep it there. This leads me to believe that maybe the speaker is fine and it's one of the wires that's an issue? maybe not the auxillary cable per se, but one of the wires running TO the speaker? Not sure.

Now, I'm planning to buy and set up a behind-the-scenes bluetooth system like this one:
https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/h...phone-aux-kit/
This will obviously replace the Aux cable I currently have, as it uses the same port in the back of the stereo. I am not sure if this will fix the problem or if the speaker needs to be replaced.

I have done zero work with wiring audio in my life, and I guess what I want to ask you guys is - have you had an issue like this before? is there an easy way to diagnose which part is faulty? and also, if it IS the speaker indeed, how hard is it to get in there and replace it?

thanks so much!!
==============
0l0id

Old 05-30-2019, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
The speaker is dying because of exposure to the water ; the plastic shield inside of the door is leaking (I'm having this issue on my car since 2010)

Old 05-30-2019, 06:36 PM
oh nooooo!
well thanks! that helps with diagnostics a bit. Have you opened yours up to see it? how hard is it to get inside the door?

Old 05-31-2019, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Thaing the speaker out is a bit tricky (it snaps into the nest); I've saw traces of dried out water under the speaker on my car when did the driver's lock cylinder repair. (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...xperience.html) The hardest part of door disassembly is armrest (cover) removal without damaging the power window switch bezel.

Edit: found DYI here with some information
http://www.splscience.com/2007-honda...-5-components/

Last edited by doctor J; 05-31-2019 at 10:43 AM.