Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   15 vs 16 - wheel sizes - pros and cons (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/100863-15-vs-16-wheel-sizes-pros-cons.html)

RaginTxn 06-22-2019 12:47 AM

15 vs 16 - wheel sizes - pros and cons

Alright - so my searching ability are inferior, so I thought I'd start a poll & feedback thread (and for my selfish wants as I debate which choice to go with myself).

15 vs 16 in wheels - pros / cons / experiences... go!

GolNat 06-22-2019 09:57 PM

It’s whatever you prefer really. I think 16’s look perfect on the Fit. If you are an mpg warrior then 15’s might be better. Taller sidewall with 15’s so maybe a softer ride (depends on tire). Better road feel and turn in with 16’s (tire dependent also).

Hootie 06-22-2019 11:59 PM

15 inch wheels

Pros...

Typically lighter and cheaper for both wheels and tires. At this time there are a LOT more tire choices for 15s in both 195/55 and 205/50 configurations than in 16s as per Tire Rack. Generally a softer ride as well due to thicker sidewalls.

Cons...

Depending on tire and its size, sidewall flex. You'll have a softer and "looser" ride depending on the tire due to again sidewall flex.

16 inch wheels

Pros...

Like previously mentioned, the thinner tires that naturally come with 16s (205/45 to be specific as per Honda's accessory tire size) can have better road feel and feedback due to the smaller sidewall (allowing less flex). Visually speaking, 16s are the "better looking" wheel/tire combo to go to with the GD (but to each their own).

Cons...

Wheels and tires are generally a little more expensive as well as heavier. There are less tire choices than the 15s if you run the accessory size of 205/45R16 and MUCH less if you run a 215/45R16 (literally 3 tire options as per Tire Rack... LOL) which is closer to the factory 195/55R15. Ride will be firmer than with 15s due to again sidewall thickness but manageable depending on tire choice.

RaginTxn 06-29-2019 09:56 PM

great feedback by all - surprised that not more took a stand on their favorite flavor :D

but all good points!

And Hootie - I'm not following your build thread as I really like what you've done with yours. Although I don't know if I'll go the S/C (as much as I would love to - maybe some day?), but I loved the DD build mentality :thumbups:

GAFIT 06-30-2019 01:16 PM

Can't really add a whole lot to what was said above.

In my opinion, 15's ride better and 16's look better. Beyond that there's a slight performance gain from 16's due to the lower profile tires, but that gain gets taken away by the extra weight.

For us, we chose 16's with 205/45's. The decrease in ride comfort is worth it to us for the visual impact.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...15f8331f38.jpg

RaginTxn 07-28-2019 08:35 PM

On the 205/50-15 size, a lot of the offsets I'm looking at are +35-+40ish - any issues with rubbing at lock on the lower end of that range?

Also - I'm not looking for an all out autocross setup - just something more...better than stock...(wow, that's terribly vague). Anyways, I believe I saw suggestions for the Function & Form coilovers? Seem pretty well setup out of the box - maybe a bit much for my use; was looking at the Tein Basic Damper - maybe a bit more what I'm looking for? Or am I better just with a set of lowering springs? All I've owned previously are yota trucks (taco, 4R, and a tundra) - from that perspective, if you're changing ride height, you want to adjust the shocks along with the springs. Dunno if it's the same when lowering?

GolNat 07-29-2019 02:31 PM

Function and Form will be too stiff for what you are looking for IMO. Tein makes a great daily set of coilovers at a great price. I would do that over springs as yes you should replace the shocks along with the springs. For the price of lowering springs and shocks the Tein is a bargain.

silverrose12 07-29-2019 02:45 PM

i am planning to get 205/50 16inch ..... its little heavier than 15inch but i think its a perfect for spirited riding

fitsmyfit 07-29-2019 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by RaginTxn (Post 1433175)
On the 205/50-15 size, a lot of the offsets I'm looking at are +35-+40ish - any issues with rubbing at lock on the lower end of that range?

Also - I'm not looking for an all out autocross setup - just something more...better than stock...(wow, that's terribly vague). Anyways, I believe I saw suggestions for the Function & Form coilovers? Seem pretty well setup out of the box - maybe a bit much for my use; was looking at the Tein Basic Damper - maybe a bit more what I'm looking for? Or am I better just with a set of lowering springs? All I've owned previously are yota trucks (taco, 4R, and a tundra) - from that perspective, if you're changing ride height, you want to adjust the shocks along with the springs. Dunno if it's the same when lowering?

If you're just looking to lower the car with a similar ride quality to stock then I would suggest Swift springs. Swift springs are designed to be paired with stock struts. I currently have Swifts and would recommend them for a daily driver.

Swifts + Progress Rear Swaybar + wider performance tires = fun on the back roads.

Thrasher 07-31-2019 12:45 AM

If I had 15's I'd keep em

I thought I had the 15's when I was looking up new tires and was excited at the low prices. As low as 35 bucks a tire! To think I could get a full set of summer tires for the price of 2 16's . But turned out I have 16's. Oh well

RaginTxn 07-31-2019 11:14 AM

Thank you all for the feedback and recommendations (and by all means, anyone else with further feedback - keep it coming)! I'll keep y'all posted on a build thread once I get it put together. Cheers!

User1 08-25-2019 12:35 AM

I thought at least one person would state that 16" will give you more mpg. Of course that's with all other things being equal.

More mpg with 16"?

GAFIT 08-26-2019 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by User1 (Post 1434720)
I thought at least one person would state that 16" will give you more mpg. Of course that's with all other things being equal.

More mpg with 16"?

Definitely not! Metal weighs more than rubber. If you have matching 15" and 16" wheels, and tires of the same diameter and width, the 15" combo will be lighter.

Now, if you're going from a steel 15" wheel to an aluminum 16" wheel...maybe. Overall, it's really hard to get a lighter set up than the GD 15" sport wheel/tire combo. It's really expensive to try to keep or lose weight when switching to aftermarket 16" wheels.

RaginTxn 03-05-2020 01:59 PM

Hey everyone - coming back to this thread. I got this message from Tire Rack with the 15" wheels with a +35 offset and a set of 205/50-15s:

Important Notes: Any wheel fitment with less than ET45 may require some camber adjustment depending on the car.

Aggressive fitment. This may require modification to the bolt sticking out into the rear wheel wells to avoid rubbing.

Does anyone have any feedback as far as fitment adjustments or issues going with this setup? The "to avoid rubbing the bolt sticking out" would be good to know.

Thanks!

mike410b 03-05-2020 07:58 PM

If the car is not lowered you'll be fine

Personally I'd stick with 195/55/15 for tires though

RaginTxn 03-06-2020 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 1433224)
Function and Form will be too stiff for what you are looking for IMO. Tein makes a great daily set of coilovers at a great price. I would do that over springs as yes you should replace the shocks along with the springs. For the price of lowering springs and shocks the Tein is a bargain.

Do you have a part number for the Tein COs that work on our GD model? On Vivid they say the following fits Fit 2007-2014: GSB80-81AS2

Also - a random question to the group - I noticed that the Koni yellows from redshift say that they are techinically for an 06+ civic, but that they fit our GDs. Is this the case for the front struts as well? i.e. could I use 2006+ civic koni orange or yellow front struts and rear shocks?

If I can't find the Tein COs that fit the GD, then I'll probably go with Konis + Godspeed coils as they are the closest to the Tein setup.

GolNat 03-06-2020 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by RaginTxn (Post 1443801)
Do you have a part number for the Tein COs that work on our GD model? On Vivid they say the following fits Fit 2007-2014: GSB80-81AS2

No. What years does Tein's website say they are for? I always use manufacture info.

RaginTxn 03-07-2020 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 1443807)
No. What years does Tein's website say they are for? I always use manufacture info.

Tein's page says that for the 07-08 they only have the lowering springs. on vividracing's webpage, when you filter for '07 Honda Fit, it does show these fit 2007-2014 - however, I believe that the suspension connection points are not the same between the US GD and GE (the description says: Fit G, L GE6 FF 2007.10-2013.08 JPN - which makes me skeptical that it actually fits even though the filter says it will... :confused: )

TEIN STREET BASIS Z Coilover Kit Honda Fit G, L GE6 FF 2007.10-2013.08 JPN

GolNat 03-07-2020 10:04 PM

I thought the only difference between the GE and GD suspension was the spring rates.

New set for cheaper then new so you can try it out.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2110223068?ii...CABEgKGYPD_BwE

K-tuned lists them for both gens. Very stiff spring rate.

http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/New-...-14-_b_13.html

Hootie 03-09-2020 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by RaginTxn (Post 1443823)
Tein's page says that for the 07-08 they only have the lowering springs. on vividracing's webpage, when you filter for '07 Honda Fit, it does show these fit 2007-2014 - however, I believe that the suspension connection points are not the same between the US GD and GE (the description says: Fit G, L GE6 FF 2007.10-2013.08 JPN - which makes me skeptical that it actually fits even though the filter says it will... :confused: )

TEIN STREET BASIS Z Coilover Kit Honda Fit G, L GE6 FF 2007.10-2013.08 JPN

Its a bit of a mental game with it comes to looking up parts for the GD. I make it a habit look for 2007 model years only since the GD was still in production globally at that time. For 2008, the GE was in production in most markets and the GD was about to be phased out the following model year in others.

Looking at the model year range and the fact that this is listed as compatible with the "GE6" is leading me to believe that the coilovers are for the second gen Fit... Which have longer strut and shock bodies than the GD if I remember correctly. You might be able to offset the longer strut length by compensating with the adjustment sleeve but I can't say for sure (being speculative here). If you can find something that specifically says GD1/GD3 then you should be fine... Might have to make the two mounting bolts were the strut secures to the knuckle larger but length wise you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 1443826)
I thought the only difference between the GE and GD suspension was the spring rates.

New set for cheaper then new so you can try it out.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2110223068?ii...CABEgKGYPD_BwE

K-tuned lists them for both gens. Very stiff spring rate.

New K1-Street Coilovers for Honda Fit 07-08 and 09-14

GD and GE suspension technically aren't directly compatible. You can get them on the car, yes... BUT stock vs stock, the GE suspension on a GD would raise the car and GD suspension on GE would lower the car noticeably if I remember right. Along with that either the brake lines and/or the wheel speed sensor mount/clip point may be in a different location.

Also... 6k springs are firmer than stock but still rather soft for street use to be honest, that's roughly a 338 lb per inch spring doing rough math. Even then, if the dampers are valved accordingly with the spring rate then you'd still be fine.