Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Tire Wear (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/100894-tire-wear.html)

Colonel Panik 06-26-2019 05:06 PM

Tire Wear

Well as the 2015 Fit gets ready to hit 90000 miles we are about to put the fourth set of tires on. Fourth? Wait a minute, that is 30000 miles per set and
I ain't buying cheap tires. My daughter and son-in-law have the same car, different color but still the same. They have had about the same luck, bad luck.

What is wrong? I can't say anything about the OEM tires, those are never all that great but the next two sets were Kumho and Dunlap and not the cheap ones.
Before you yell at me about how I drive the car, my 03 Civic has averaged well over 60000 miles per set. That 03 Civic still has the original rear brakes!
This boy is not hooning his cars.

About the only thing I can praise about the FIT is the CVT, I really love that.

Please tell us about your tire mileage, good or bad.

Rob H 06-26-2019 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Colonel Panik (Post 1431021)
Well as the 2015 Fit gets ready to hit 90000 miles we are about to put the fourth set of tires on. Fourth? Wait a minute, that is 30000 miles per set and
I ain't buying cheap tires. My daughter and son-in-law have the same car, different color but still the same. They have had about the same luck, bad luck.

What is wrong? I can't say anything about the OEM tires, those are never all that great but the next two sets were Kumho and Dunlap and not the cheap ones.
Before you yell at me about how I drive the car, my 03 Civic has averaged well over 60000 miles per set. That 03 Civic still has the original rear brakes!

How many miles tires last isn't one of my criteria for choosing a tire. I run snow tires in the winter and performance oriented summer tires in the spring, summer and fall. If I remember correctly the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's that I use in the summer have a 280 tread wear rating? That's maybe 25-30K miles? If I get 30K out of those I'm happy. Higher the wear rating the longer tires last. Those long lasting tires usually have poor grip. Tires are a trade off or compromise. You won't get sticks to the road like glue tires and have them last 90K miles. You can buy 80K mile tires, but the car will handle like sh*t. Tires also affect things like braking distances. Tires will make a car preform better or turn a decent car into something that's only good in a straight line. It's all what's important to you. I assume I'm in the minority of what the normal Fit owner is concerned with in regard to tire purchases?

GolNat 06-26-2019 10:36 PM

Kumho and Dunlap and not the cheap ones.

This tells us very little. What kind of tire? What was the treadwear rating? Are the being rotated? Just because they are expensive does not equate to lasting a long time. If longevity was important to you then the person who sold you the tires should have taken that into consideration when deciding what tire would be best for you. If I get 30k out of set of summer tires then I am happy.

doctor J 06-26-2019 10:55 PM

Wrong generation post :D

evilchargerfan 06-27-2019 10:39 AM

wrong gen indeed

I slapped on my hankook ventus's (cheap tire) at 28k. I am now at 58k with 5/32 remaining. my braking distance is affected, and wet handling ... so I will be replacing these real soon. I for one, am fine with 30k. I couldnt ask for too much out of $47/a piece tires

2Rismo2 06-27-2019 11:30 AM

On the stock Firestones I got 40K before I replaced them at around 3/32nd. I'm currently on a set of General Altimax RT43 that are supposed to get 60k. I don't remember the measurement, but the last time I measured it, it was wearing really well. I'm at 78k so I'll measure them and see how they are doing.

I rotate my tires every 5k and keep them at around 35PSI all around. I get an alignment at least once a year.

I think road conditions also have a factor in tire wear. Does the higher heat in NM eat away at tires faster? Do you do lots of stop and go driving with the Fit? Or is it more constant highway speeds? When was the last time you got an alignment? How often do you rotate tires? Do you regularly keep your tires inflated? Are you carry a bunch of junk in your vehicle?

Jared592 06-27-2019 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rob H (Post 1431037)
How many miles tires last isn't one of my criteria for choosing a tire. I run snow tires in the winter and performance oriented summer tires in the spring, summer and fall. If I remember correctly the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's that I use in the summer have a 280 tread wear rating? That's maybe 25-30K miles? If I get 30K out of those I'm happy. Higher the wear rating the longer tires last. Those long lasting tires usually have poor grip. Tires are a trade off or compromise. You won't get sticks to the road like glue tires and have them last 90K miles. You can buy 80K mile tires, but the car will handle like sh*t. Tires also affect things like braking distances. Tires will make a car preform better or turn a decent car into something that's only good in a straight line. It's all what's important to you. I assume I'm in the minority of what the normal Fit owner is concerned with in regard to tire purchases?

I'm right there with you. I'd much rather have great grip and handling that last 25k than some crappy hockey puck rubber junk that lasts 60k. Safety is no joke. When you rear-end someone because your 60k warranty tires made your stopping distance 25 feet longer you'll wish you could go back in time and pay the extra $100 to have quality tires.

Alyssa Beth Hinkle 07-01-2019 02:14 PM

I buy tires every 3 months

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...4628e2a407.jpg