Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Advice on buying 2003 GD5 with 456k km (283k miles) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/100941-advice-buying-2003-gd5-456k-km-283k-miles.html)

bicheichane 07-03-2019 05:40 AM

Advice on buying 2003 GD5 with 456k km (283k miles)

Hello guys! I'm considering buying a 2003 Jazz with 456.000km, LS AC edition with 5 speed manual, for 1500€ (~1700$), what issues should I be looking for?

From what I've already searched online of common Jazz problems, I'm planning on doing these checks:

Going to a self-service car wash and thoroughly test every gap in panels/doors/windows to check for leaks
Parking on a steep uphill road to check the state of the parking brake.
Test for jerky running when going about with the car -> EGR valve
Testing the AC
Test for clicking noise when turning left in 2nd gear
Testing electric windows
Testing speakers (to see if water damage got to them, showing that there are leaking problems)
Test emergency braking -> abs system check

I would like to assess wheel and transmission bearing status but I have no idea how to (without dismantling the whole thing that is). Any suggestions?

Aside from what I've already said I'd like to check, anything else you think would be good to add? Or something that I should change in what I want to test?

Thanks in advance!

hotkey 07-03-2019 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by bicheichane (Post 1431531)
I would like to assess wheel and transmission bearing status but I have no idea how to (without dismantling the whole thing that is). Any suggestions?

To check wheel bearings: Drive around in a quiet area with windows down. Listen for squeaky noises coming from the wheels.
To check transmission bearing: First check transmission fluid - change the fluid if it's low or dirty. Then drive around for a bit. Transmission should be quiet.

jeffwern 07-05-2019 01:02 PM

From my experience buying a used car

1) Go in circles (turn the steering until the end, in both right and left directions) several rounds to check if there's an issue with the drive shaft
2) Check for major accident signs on the body, inside and out. (I was viewing a car and noticed uneven body panel, left almost immediately)
3) Wheel bushings
4) Turn the air-conditioning on and wait if there is any issue with the engine idle, and when you try taking off
5) Are the suspensions going bad? (typically the absorbers)
6) Weather seals
7) The obvious thing to check is the engine noise (if it's noisy, it is no go for me)
8) Brakes (does the rotors require replacement? Bleeding? Pads?)
9) Infotainment system (if that's necessary for you)
10) Engine leaks
11) Rust

I would immediately change the transmission fluid, coolant, and engine oil the moment I get a used car. Regardless if the owner has had it changed recently. I trust almost nobody with their cars unless the owner is known to be a car person.