Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   My Fit keeps unlocking randomly while I'm driving (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/32143-my-fit-keeps-unlocking-randomly-while-im-driving.html)

storm88000 10-02-2008 12:54 AM

My Fit keeps unlocking randomly while I'm driving

'07 Fit sport here. The other night I woke up to my alarm going off, I went out to stop it, unlocked and relocked it, went to bed, then the next morning I was going to drive somewhere and I discovered it was unlocked.

Now since then it will randomly unlock all doors while I'm actually driving. When I hit the power lock button to re-lock the doors it sounds like it's meeting resistance. I can manually lock all doors, but once all 4 are locked, it unlocks again. Then my power lock switch stopped working for a day, now it works again.

Anyone else experience this or have any input? It's terrible leaving your car in a parking lot somewhere not knowing if it's going to remain locked or not. :hyper::hyper: When I use the key FOB from outside the car to lock the doors, like 1 out of 4 times it will unlock by itself within 10-20 seconds.

GD3 FTW 10-03-2008 01:25 PM

ahh I have an 08 my fit unlocks randomly while I'm driving too!! :mad:

RandomKoko 10-03-2008 01:43 PM

send it and consult your dealer immediately before you warranty runs out. lol good luck.

Juliane 10-03-2008 04:53 PM

Have you changed the battery on your alarm button lately? It might need a new battery. But safest to let the dealer check it out.

dank24 10-03-2008 10:40 PM

0o0o0o I plan on working at Lehigh Valley hospital soon.

polaski 10-04-2008 09:28 AM

May sound weird but...

Anything plugged into the power outlet?

My old civic would do that when I had a cooler plugged into it. Every 5 minutes.... CLICK!

bdrake 10-04-2008 12:28 PM

Try taking the battery out of your key for a day. There might be some dirt or a loose part on the button that is unlocking your car. That will tell you if the problem is with the key or the car.

--Barry

storm88000 10-04-2008 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by polaski (Post 445373)
May sound weird but...

Anything plugged into the power outlet?

My old civic would do that when I had a cooler plugged into it. Every 5 minutes.... CLICK!

Yes, I actually a 3-port power outlet plugged into the cig lighter.

Side note: It seems like it may do this unlocking thing when it's raining/really humid out. :confused::confused:

storm88000 10-04-2008 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by bdrake (Post 445494)
Try taking the battery out of your key for a day. There might be some dirt or a loose part on the button that is unlocking your car. That will tell you if the problem is with the key or the car.

--Barry

How would that explain why the power lock button on the driver's door stops working?

bdrake 10-05-2008 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by storm88000 (Post 445884)
How would that explain why the power lock button on the driver's door stops working?

It doesn't. It just determines whether or not the remote is involved in the problem, and it's a relatively easy thing to try. Make a problem "smaller" by eliminating parts, and it's easier to solve.

--Barry

marz 10-05-2008 03:25 AM

same thing happened to me i have a base model fit called around about the alarm and actually some one actually told me to look for my alarm under the dash said it should be a box with around 10-20 wires to it and a few wires connected to there own seperate fuses they had me remove the fuses which powered my alarm told me to start with out alarm worked the remote didnt anymore turned my car off tried to rearm the alarm it did nothing then with the car off i replaced the fuses never had that problem again they told me that it basically reset the alarm

o and my car was acting screwy after i let the battery die out completly due to leaving my lights on now i plan on getting daytime running light conversion installed

storm88000 10-05-2008 11:52 AM

Weird, ok I'll try some of those things, thanks guys. If anyone else has had this problem feel free to chime in.

storm88000 10-09-2008 02:55 AM

Ok weird, I think what happens is the car unlocks it's self when the alarm is armed, and thefore it sets of it's own alarm.

goodyonsen 10-09-2008 03:02 AM

that's wierd stuff. I've never had this problem

Maximuz 10-11-2008 01:40 PM

have u drove in the rain and managed to get the switch wet on the door. could of got wet, shorted out and damaged.

storm88000 10-13-2008 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Maximuz (Post 452721)
have u drove in the rain and managed to get the switch wet on the door. could of got wet, shorted out and damaged.

You know what, thats a great thought.. cause from what I remember it WAS raining the night it first happened.

Maximuz 10-13-2008 10:51 AM

i smoke so when im at work i end up smoking in the car when it raids, with the window down a crack it seems the water the drips off the roof goes right into the window and lands on the window control panel, i keep a dust cloth in my car i usally cover the panel with the cloth to keep it dry. im a computer tech so i know what water does to electronics :)

id take a run to the dealership and get it checked.

VallejoDave 02-26-2012 12:32 PM

I have an '08 Fit Sport and recently, while driving, all the doors would unlock repeatedly: unlock .... unlock ... unlock .... randomly ... sometimes in quick succession, sometimes just occasionally. It seemed to happen more frequently when the car was pointed down hill. It would also happen in my driveway while loading up with the engine off. This got so annoying that I pulled over one evening and with the manual and a flashlight I pulled fuse #28 (under dash fuse box). That stopped all the actuators from actually firing but I could still hear a little relay clicking away at random points in time. Last weekend I went on a trip with the car fully loaded. To get into the rear hatch area I had to put the fuse back in so I can unlock it. Then to secure the car I had to lock and then quickly remove the fuse before it would unlock again on its own. What a nuisance! Otherwise I've had no trouble with this car these last four years, but I have less then 30k miles on it.

Yesterday I logged into the HelmInc.com website and for $10.00 bought three days of access to Honda Service Express. This is such a great deal and there is SO MUCH information on-line. I looked at the relevant schematics and went out to the car and proceeded to troubleshoot. I took the driver's door panel off to inspect the lock/unlock switch. I disconnected it and found the random unlocking problem was still occuring. I found that wiggling the wiring harness under the dash by the fuse box would make it happen, but not always. At this point I eliminated the door switch as the issue. Digging further, I found a pig tail of a wiring harness, hacked, and botched together with electrical tape, just dangling way in the rear or the under-dash area behind the steering column.

I pulled it out and took pictures of it, but I can't seem to post any pictures here.

Anyway, this harness has two fuses and three connectors. One of the connectors is 14 point:

Red, white, red/white, white, violet (cut off), yellow, green, white/black?, black, orange, brown, light green (cut off), vacant, green/black? (cut off)

The four point connector: Red, green, red, blue

The two point connector: Red, green

As stated, this whole thing looks like a hack. I zip tied the two little connectors neatly to the trunk of this harness and drove around for about 30 minutes with this harness out of harms way. I THINK MY RANDOM DOOR UNLOCKING PROBLEM IS NOW FIXED!!!!

Although these connectors are insulated, there are tiny areas where an edge of sheet metal could make contact and ground one of the pins, especially the four point connector.

What’s the story with this hack??? I have read, in detail, Service Bulletin 10-082, “2007-08 Fit Low Beam Headlights May Not Work”, which describes a procedure to modify the wiring harness and possibly replace the combination headlight switch. But this procedure doesn’t account for three cut wires (see above) and the connectors have a different pin arrangement.

I’ve searched the Honda schematics and can’t find a harness with a 14 point connector arranged as per above. Or the other two little connectors.

I’m mystified! However, if you are suffering from random door unlocking, look for this pig-tail in the harness under the dash and route it out of harms way and zip tie it down!

Hope this helps someone!