Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   ok so i think i'm in trouble (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/33745-ok-so-i-think-im-trouble.html)

ikrash 10-30-2008 05:05 PM

ok so i think i'm in trouble

decided to change spark plugs as 50k miles

got the bosch platinum +2

realized that cars's not running correctly...i think the spark plug is firing intermittedly

so the plugs are not gap-able

but it prolly isnt the problem compared to the fact that i could have

a) overtightened and stripped the aluminum head (unlikely but possible)

b) did not put the "box" onto the plug tight enough

c) broke the plug wire

and suggestions of what i should do to diagnose this problem (hopefully the cheapest way)

help!!!

thanks
igor

Tofuman 10-30-2008 05:25 PM

Bosch spark plugs are junk. I would replace them with OEM NGK plugs. See if that helps.

Super Mario 10-30-2008 05:25 PM

Try to put the stock spark plugs back in and see if you still have the problem.

FitStir 10-30-2008 05:27 PM

I'm not a mechanic, or that knowledgeable with the problem you're having.

But one time when I decided to put the Bosch Platinums on my 89 Acura Integra, the car never ran right. After a few weeks one of the sparkplugs flew up hitting the hood leaving a little dent. When that happened, I changed them out, with the basic NGK's (I wanted the higher end ones, but the auto parts place was out of them). Never had a problem again.

I thought it might have been the gaping, but I checked it with the gap measuring tool (I think they already com pre-gapped), then I thought they might not have been on too tight, but if anything I overtightened. Maybe our Japanese cars don't like German parts? lol :confused:

I would try the NGK's and see if you still get the same problem. I'm sure, others will have better advice.

nodrogkam 10-30-2008 05:48 PM

If Honda's are similar enough to Toyotas...please do not use Bosche plugs on them.

Bosche plugs have been nothing but trouble for Toyotas and it boggles my mind why people would use them over OEM or even OEM brands such as Denso/NGK. For some reason the Bosch plugs just cause misfiring issues regardless of gap etc.

That's not to say they make an inferior product or products...but history has told us that they do not work well with japanese vehicles. They work great in Euros (as they should...)

ikrash 10-30-2008 05:55 PM

unfortunately...i had put the oem plugs back in and the problem still exists

now either im an idiot and cannot put the "box" (sorry for callign it that..i dont know the exact name) onto the plug correctly

or i screwed up the plug wire and have to dive into taht bs

when i get home i'm going to make sure the boxes are on the plugs correctly and if that fails im going to have to get plug wire....

how hard of an install is that?

and suggestions?

thank you for replies
igor

Fa1 10-30-2008 06:03 PM

Can't help you with your problem, but the "box" is the coilpack if I understand what you're talking about.

sevenaprils 10-30-2008 06:03 PM

First off, I'd say check and make sure all your plugs and wires are connected no only PROPERLY but in the CORRECT ORDER.
I switched plugs 2 and 3's wires once on my old explorer and it idled/ran like crap.
It's an easy, albeit silly, mistake - I'm sure many people have done it but few will admit to it.

If that doesn't help, I'd get away from the Bosch plugs like already mentioned and check the torque on each plug too, to make sure none are loose. I use loctite blue on my plugs/cars whenever I change them out as well, for extra insurance.

If you want to upgrade plugs, you should upgrade wires too, IMO. I've yet to do it on my Fit but when I do, they go hand in hand.

BoriJDMGD3 10-30-2008 10:37 PM

2 reason...1) Honda dont run on Bosch, they use NGK or Denso. 2) you dont have to replace the plugs or do a tune up until 100,000 miles...that the problem. :)

ikrash 10-30-2008 10:42 PM

bosch...

anyways..

my idle was being screwy so i decided to use the plugs my friend had which he never used

which is why i changed them

i think im gonna attribute this strange behavior of the car to a bad batch of gasoline...i put some octane booster and filled up with 89 and i THINK it's running fine....

praying it is rather...

and yes...honda's dont run on bush...lol

but the CAN run on BOSCH if you want them to...bosch is a decent company but it COULD have to do with the fact that its not SUPPOSED to be run on jap cars...

anyways

im gonna go do some spirited driving in the local canyon

thanks for the responses and help
igor

BoriJDMGD3 10-30-2008 10:47 PM

soorrryyy.... bush...lol. i was thinking of the president that his leving sooooonnn...jaja :rotfl: jk

ikrash 10-30-2008 10:51 PM

lol

i was gonna say honda's would run on cheney if anything

fat ugly but surprisingly deadly when pushed

sounded funny-er in my head

and now my car is gonna stop working completely cuz i called it fat and ugly

anywas

peace

Masterdebater 10-30-2008 11:38 PM

hondas are not meant to run anything BUT ngk plugs. so stay with oem or aftermarket ngk plugs. if u didnt tighten the spark plug(s) correctly u may melt the coil packs.. just double check ur work. i wouldnt do spirited driving til its running right!

Darkstars 10-30-2008 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by sevenaprils (Post 477379)
First off, I'd say check and make sure all your plugs and wires are connected no only PROPERLY but in the CORRECT ORDER.
I switched plugs 2 and 3's wires once on my old explorer and it idled/ran like crap.

I use loctite blue on my plugs/cars whenever I change them out as well, for extra insurance.

with our ignition setup I don't think you could mes sup the firing order if you tried. Its not a tradiational distributor or coil pack with a bunch of ignition wires coming from it.

and you NEVER loctite spark plugs, infact on aluminum heads its common to put a LITTLE bit of antiseize on the threads. Pretty much all spark plugs will come with a crush washer built in nowdays, if you install them correctly you wont have any issues.

Originally Posted by FitStir (Post 477340)
I decided to put the Bosch Platinums on my 89 Acura Integra, the car never ran right. After a few weeks one of the sparkplugs flew up hitting the hood leaving a little dent. When that happened, I changed them out, with the basic NGK's. Never had a problem again.

You realize this was caused by own stupidity (sorry to put it that way but its true) and your very lucky you didn't destroy the threads in the head. A spark plug shooting out is your fault, not the fault of a bad product.

chimmike 10-31-2008 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by sevenaprils (Post 477379)

If you want to upgrade plugs, you should upgrade wires too, IMO. I've yet to do it on my Fit but when I do, they go hand in hand.

How exactly do you plan on upgrading the spark plug wires when there are none?

This is a coil-on-plug operation. No wires. No need to upgrade, the stock coils will support far more power than you're making right now.

As stated before: Bosch plugs are trash. All of them.

Use NGK's and only NGK's.

And as stated before, sounds to me like you connected the wires wrong and the coilpacks are firing in the wrong order.

FitStir 10-31-2008 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Darkstars (Post 477757)
You realize this was caused by own stupidity (sorry to put it that way but its true) and your very lucky you didn't destroy the threads in the head. A spark plug shooting out is your fault, not the fault of a bad product.

Yeah I know.. It was my first Honda, after owning a VW Rabbit, and an Audi 5000, I was still stuck in the German state of mind. But what could the problem have been? Not being tight enough? True I didnt use a torque wrench, but I know I tightened them suckers in good.

It couldn't have been me switching the wires, because I only do 1 wire/plug at a time.

Which is why I still think the Acura was rejecting the Bosch Platinums, kinda like bad organ transplant.

oh well NGK ftw!!!!! :D

Darkstars 10-31-2008 09:15 AM

the only way your gonna shoot a plug out is from not tightening them correctly.

FitStir 10-31-2008 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Darkstars (Post 477957)
the only way your gonna shoot a plug out is from not tightening them correctly.

Gotcha! Still, mind boggling after several weeks of daily driving.

ikrash 10-31-2008 01:20 PM

lol okay

TO the coilpack there ARE wires which you can damage

thats the first friggin thing

second friggin thing is

you CANNOT put them in the wrong order cuz the wires are just that short

so before you accuse me blatently ;) of being stupid enough to not put them in the right order

go check it out! :) yea!

and in addition...the problem is fixed with 8 gallons of 91 and some octane booster

i think i just got some bad gas....and i dont mean the burrito kind..

Tofuman 10-31-2008 06:24 PM

Stick with NGK plugs and Shell or Chevron gasoline and you'll be just fine.