Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Replacing horn = removing bumper? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/33760-replacing-horn-removing-bumper.html)

CrystalFiveMT 10-30-2008 08:25 PM

Replacing horn = removing bumper?

I'd like to know for sure if replacing the stock horn requires removal of the front bumper.

Any of you who have done this please chime in. Thanks.

Julio 10-31-2008 01:28 AM

Yup! But you don't have to take the whole thing off... Just the bolts on top

kylerwho 10-31-2008 01:51 AM

you can just crawl under the car and pull off some plastic pieces without taking off the bumper but it is easier to pull the bumper.

koolkevin1107 10-31-2008 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT (Post 477511)
I'd like to know for sure if replacing the stock horn requires removal of the front bumper.

Follow my writeup. I know it's an GD3 writeup but i'm SURE that the GE3 is the exact same way to uninstall the bumper.

Oh and yes u have 2 take off the bumper completely. It's MUCH easier.

Rob22315 10-31-2008 06:36 AM

Taking the bumper off is easy - two screws, a dozen clips, and a tug on each side should do it. Use a small flat screw driver to help release the clips. There are 4 clips on top directly under the front of the hood and another 8 clips underneath. Pay attention to how the plastic pieces fit underneath. Some sit on top of the bumper cover, some underneath. The two screws are located in the front edge of the wheel wells. Takes about 10 min or less each way.

CrystalFiveMT 10-31-2008 01:04 PM

Great! Thanks for the tips. It's not for my car, but for my dad's 07. He wants to replace the horn.

Fat Ping Cat 10-31-2008 07:38 PM

yes no worries about taking the bumper off, its so easy... just follow koolkev's diy!
:wavey:

haha all you need is a phillips and a flathead screw driver..

kenchan 11-12-2008 05:29 PM

i think im going to get a nicer horn next season. :)

theloxmyth 11-13-2008 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT (Post 477511)

A quickhttps://www.fitfreak.net/forums/memb...led-screws.jpg pic...

Shaggs2Dope 11-14-2008 02:10 AM

The horn needs some balls. Anyone know the loudest compact horn that will fit as a direct fit?

kevvur 11-20-2008 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope (Post 492674)
The horn needs some balls. Anyone know the loudest compact horn that will fit as a direct fit?

I used the Accord horn in my GE8 and it fits fine. Not so sure about the GDs though.

trancedsailor 12-27-2008 08:20 PM

the new Accord? I want something a bit louder and meaner, like a freight train horn.

kylerwho 12-27-2008 09:14 PM

why does everyone want a louder horn? did all of you grow up in new york? ha ha ha

trancedsailor 12-27-2008 09:35 PM

I was born in Long Island and lived in NJ for 19 years.........so yes basically

Juliane 12-27-2008 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by trancedsailor (Post 530245)
the new Accord? I want something a bit louder and meaner, like a freight train horn.

I'd like something a little louder and with more tune to it, not a freight train horn but a loud car horn, like an old Caddy or something, with 3 or 4 notes to it. Yeah, right.

I also don't want to pull the bumper myself. :( Have to wait until I can get another Fitfreaker to help me. Or something.

Juliane 12-27-2008 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by kylerwho (Post 530288)
why does everyone want a louder horn? did all of you grow up in new york? ha ha ha

The Fit horn is lame, lame, lame. I want something that gets attention when I need it to. My car is tiny and I want to startle someone if I have to!

:hyper::wavey:

trancedsailor 12-28-2008 07:13 AM

exactly. And Juliane, Koolkevin posted a DIY of removing the front bumper that makes it easyyyyyy. I understand your situation though lol I'm a little nervous myself but that won't stop me ;p

Juliane 12-28-2008 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by trancedsailor (Post 530579)
exactly. And Juliane, Koolkevin posted a DIY of removing the front bumper that makes it easyyyyyy. I understand your situation though lol I'm a little nervous myself but that won't stop me ;p

Yeah, but you're a GUY. I'm not a nail-polish-manicure type of person, but neither do I feel like unclipping the front bumper of my car just for grins. Maybe my older son can help me some Saturday. I have to find a horn that fits, plug and play, too. Not going to do a bunch of rewiring just for that.

trancedsailor 12-28-2008 03:12 PM

I think I'm just gonna drop by Honda this week for an Accord horn assembly. I'll be removing my bumper in a week or so anyway once my retrofits come in weeee!

And I know you're a woman. I didn't want to just assume that you're weak or anything. Some woman take offense to that! :P

Juliane 12-28-2008 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by trancedsailor (Post 530825)
I think I'm just gonna drop by Honda this week for an Accord horn assembly. I'll be removing my bumper in a week or so anyway once my retrofits come in weeee!

And I know you're a woman. I didn't want to just assume that you're weak or anything. Some woman take offense to that! :P

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm not weak, but I've never taken a body part off a car before and I sure wouldn't want to attempt it by myself, even if it does just clip on and off. Anyway it's more fun when someone is helping...someone to share the beers afterward...(Not my son, he's only 17!) When I do "handy-man" stuff around the house (Daddy always wanted a boy), I impress the hell out of hubby. "Have I ever told you how much I appreciate you," he says...he doesn't do that stuff b/c his dad was anal and impatient and hubby is left-handed anyway. To me, it's just another task that you have to get the right tool for...and I love to go and buy more tools! I'm also CHEAP as anything and hate to pay someone to do something I could do myself. I haven't changed my own oil in years, though - too hard to dispose of the old oil safely.

What retrofits are you getting?