Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Headlights dim when using electronics (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/33860-headlights-dim-when-using-electronics.html)

Hootie 11-01-2008 10:16 PM

Headlights dim when using electronics

I just drove my Fit around this evening and noticed some little weird things going on. Whenever I turned the AC on the headlights dim briefly and then go back to there previous state. Same thing happens when one of the windows are being rolled up.

Has anyone else noticed this happening or am I just an old ball of the group?

chimmike 11-01-2008 10:19 PM

happens on almost every car I've owned. It's the extra amps being pulled on the startup of those systems, puts a quick strain on the alternator, then goes back to normal.

Fitcapo 11-01-2008 10:23 PM

Only car I haven't really noticed this on is my old aerostar van but then again those lights were already very dim so it would be hard to tell if they got dimmer.

Hootie 11-01-2008 10:43 PM

Oh ok, for a second there I was thinking my battery was slowly draining. Thanks.

solbrothers 11-01-2008 11:01 PM

is this your first car? or the first time youve been in contact with a car? its just what cars do.

Hootie 11-01-2008 11:03 PM

This is my first car; it isn't my first contact with a car, and I never noticed this happening to any car that I've driven till now.

Guinness 11-01-2008 11:08 PM

You may wanna go for HID conversion for your headlights... that will solve all problems and u will end up having brighter / nicer lights =)

I was gonna say you may need HID for winter driving but I am not sure if its all that dark in TX during winter... up north, its dark by 4pm... =\

solbrothers 11-01-2008 11:09 PM

i bet the other drivers on the road hate you.

Hootie 11-01-2008 11:16 PM

solbrothers, I'm just going to ignore that comment for now. :wavey: Can't tell where you were coming from in that post.

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 479479)
You may wanna go for HID conversion for your headlights... that will solve all problems and u will end up having brighter / nicer lights =)

I was gonna say you may need HID for winter driving but I am not sure if its all that dark in TX during winter... up north, its dark by 4pm... =\

Its not a problem, it was just one of those moments were you go, "What the heck is going on here?" The HID lights aren't really needed around here during winter but I have been considering installing up some in the future.

solbrothers 11-02-2008 12:13 AM

sorry, in not talking about you, im talking about HID headlights. unnecessary glare for other drivers and no real lighting gain. unless you do a full retrofit with projectors

07fitsport 11-02-2008 12:38 AM

i never noticed it in the several cars i have owned til i got the FIT and happens like u said when turn somethin on such as roll window up or down brief dimming of lights

prelude_guy97 11-02-2008 01:09 AM

Perfectly normal! Starting current is several times the ampage when compared to normally running current. Since the battery can handle only so much...the starting current takes alot of the battery's ability thus reducing much of the other loads. An AC unit especially draws alot of initial current.

polaski 11-02-2008 08:20 AM

And since our batteries are so small the effect is amplified.

concorde 11-05-2008 09:46 AM

When I had my '08 Sport, I noticed the lights dimming each time the A/C turned on and off... It was very very bothersome.

This never happened on other cars I've owned in the past. I've had BMWs, four Accords, some Cavaliers, etc... I have yet to run the A/C on my '09 Sport while driving at night, but I will sure try it soon enough. I sure hope Honda addressed this going forward.

chimmike 11-05-2008 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by polaski (Post 479706)
And since our batteries are so small the effect is amplified.

since when do you guys think this has anything to do with the battery when the engine is running?

Have you ever heard of ALTERNATORS?

The alternator on this car is tiny. Any spikes in amperage pull when something is initially turned on is going to cause a brief dimming of headlights. Remember folks, the ALTERNATOR is part of the charging system, which maintains the charge in the battery ;)

Oh, and HIDs? You think those use LESS power? Are you nuts? lol.

Fla3fi 11-10-2008 11:56 AM

One quick way to fix this is to buy a audio cap and install it I was having the same problem till I installed my Car audio system and bam it was over and done my fit was the second Vechile I noticed it on the first was my 97 Dodge Neon Basically you should install a audio cap run it in series with your stock battery

explosivpotato 11-11-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike (Post 483290)
Oh, and HIDs? You think those use LESS power? Are you nuts? lol.

HID's draw less running amperage than incandescent lamps. Why do you think OEM's started using them?

Also, the alternator being small is what causes those voltage drops, but if the battery were bigger (capacity-wise) it would mitigate the effect. I just swapped out my arthritic stocker for a Braille 3125 with 1380 pulse cranking amps! I can barely detect the headlights dimming when I turn on the defroster (A/C).