Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   New member with a 2008 Fit (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/34815-new-member-2008-fit.html)

xusnatc 11-21-2008 08:10 PM

New member with a 2008 Fit

Bought my Silver Base Model 2008 (automatic) in March and I'm around 20,500 miles now. No problems so far, and I change my oil every 3-4K. I never wait or trust the oil % meter, but instead go by mileage.

So far the Fit's Ok. Nothing to write home and tell Mom about if you know what I mean. The MPG is only around 30, but my average 70-80 MPH maybe causing this. I work about 44 miles away from my home and this was the reason for buying this car. I was driving a 1995 Saturn SC2 with 255,000 miles on it and I thought I better buy something in case it blows up. The Saturn also got 30 MPG, but was burning 1 quart every 500 miles.

My wife loves the car because it easy to run around our town in, but I dont think she'll ever give up the Suburban.

Rod2Rice 11-21-2008 11:58 PM

Welcome to FF!

Guinness 11-22-2008 03:26 AM

Wow, teh suburban is pretty hard tricky to drive after u drove the fit for a while~ I'm glad you are happy with the fit, it must be hard to decide between an 08 or an 09 for you eh?

xusnatc 11-22-2008 11:03 AM

Wasn't hard at all because the 09's were not on the floor yet. I didn't need all the fancy stuff, but wanted something that was cheap. I paid $15,500 out the door on my 08 and I guess I'm happy. This car should be cheaper for what your getting, but hey,.....I'm cheap.

The car is not real strong going up hill's, but it does fine when I'm straight and level. When I go to work, I have to go up a small Mountain and this car will tach @ 4000 RPM's just to keet it @ 65 MPH. That's Bad !!

Fat Ping Cat 11-22-2008 11:12 AM

with the mileage already on your car assuming you're using a synthetic blend you could change your oil every 5000-7500 or with full synthetic 7500 and over.

xusnatc 11-22-2008 12:02 PM

The only thing I ever use Synthetic in is my Harley because it's an air cooled engine. I change the oil so much in the FIT that running synthetic would be a waste of money for me. Oil Temperatures cause oil to break down, and air cooled engines will beat the hell out of oil, hence me using it in the Harley.

I just rolled over 3K on the oil in it right now so off to WalMart I go today,.......AGAIN. I run 5W20 oil in it, and I run the Fram Filter because of the easy off material on the end of the filter. I dont use a wrench to take it off or screw the filter on,........ONLY BY HAND !

As for oil,......I use whatever is cheaper.

E = Mc2 11-22-2008 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 500681)
Wow, teh suburban is pretty hard tricky to drive after u drove the fit for a while~ I'm glad you are happy with the fit, it must be hard to decide between an 08 or an 09 for you eh?

Not really. Try jumping from the Fit into a 55 passenger bus! Of course, I drive for a living (over 1 million miles at work(*) in the last 13 years) and have been a licensed driver for the last 26 years. Experience is helpful. :vtec:

(*) I drive an average of 70+ miles a day outside of work. The Fit is 185 days old, and I topped 13,000 miles on it last week.

On Topic: Welcome to FitFreak!

Cat 11-22-2008 01:35 PM

Welcome to the Fit Family! Give the little car time and it is going to grow on you like a weed - The car is so much fun to drive and makes the trip to anywhere worth the cost of admission - I feel like I got a lot of car for my money because lets face it - Its A Honda:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Cat :x

Guinness 11-22-2008 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by xusnatc (Post 500785)
Wasn't hard at all because the 09's were not on the floor yet. I didn't need all the fancy stuff, but wanted something that was cheap. I paid $15,500 out the door on my 08 and I guess I'm happy. This car should be cheaper for what your getting, but hey,.....I'm cheap.

The car is not real strong going up hill's, but it does fine when I'm straight and level. When I go to work, I have to go up a small Mountain and this car will tach @ 4000 RPM's just to keet it @ 65 MPH. That's Bad !!

Yea, I find that a problem too when I have to pretty much floor the gas paddle just to keep my car from decelerating on a hill... thats one of the reason why i turboed my fit =P

nodrogkam 11-22-2008 06:45 PM

It's a honda. It loves to high rev for you.

silverbulletfit 11-24-2008 02:05 PM

welcome to fit freak! my fit is silver as well, except it's an 07' with 42,000 miles on it.

xusnatc 11-24-2008 02:27 PM

Any issues in those 42,000 miles ? Hopefully mine will be issue free considering I'll be out of warranty (the way I'm going) right @ my 1 year anniversary of owning it.

I drive it pretty hard on the Highway, but I take it easy on normal/city roads. The only issue I see right now is my drivers side window when cracked has a rattle, like it's loose when I shut the door when sitting in the seat. Only when I shut the door. Dont know if it is loose, or if that's just the way it is.

silverbulletfit 11-24-2008 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by xusnatc (Post 502441)
Any issues in those 42,000 miles ? Hopefully mine will be issue free considering I'll be out of warranty (the way I'm going) right @ my 1 year anniversary of owning it.

I drive it pretty hard on the Highway, but I take it easy on normal/city roads. The only issue I see right now is my drivers side window when cracked has a rattle, like it's loose when I shut the door when sitting in the seat. Only when I shut the door. Dont know if it is loose, or if that's just the way it is.

it drives as good as new! :D

CorrodesTheFilm 12-04-2008 08:03 PM

If you change your oil at 3K you're throwing money away. Honda engineers wouldn't put a feature into the car that would tear up the engine. If anything, the oil life meter is conservative, as most people probably won't change the oil RIGHT when it tells you to.

Also, 4,000 RPM is nothing for a 1.5L Honda motor.

That said, welcome to FitFreak. :wavey:

(What year is the Suburban? I learned to drive on a '95 Suburban with a 350. Redlined at 4,500. Torque like nothing else though. :hyper:)

xusnatc 12-05-2008 11:06 AM

Sure,.....that may be true, but it also makes me feel better knowing that I spent under $15.00 to change my own oil and the piece of mind knowing not only that the oil is clean for another round, but the engine itself is staying clean because of the continuous changes. I have very close to 22,000 miles on this car in only 8 months, and to me the changes can only be beneficial. This car better get over 300K miles. Hell my Saturn was able to get close to 260K when I gave it away last Spring.