Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   The Fit loves to slide! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/35559-fit-loves-slide.html)

coupdetat 12-08-2008 05:25 PM

The Fit loves to slide!

Surprising, huh? For the past few days, I've been finding every wide open intersection and sliding my way through it! It's been a little wet in CT lately, and I have very skinny 14" snow tires on my car that have little-to-no grip. Surprisingly, the car doesn't plow through hard corners but instead the rear end swings out a bit and the steering wheel gets all loose and noodly. Basically I just go down to 2nd as I'm approaching the turn and progressively turn the wheel as I give it more gas--the tail will step out most of the time, if the pavement isn't totally dry :D I haven't had the balls to try sustaining the slide much yet, but it definitely feels controllable to me.

So, am I being an idiot, or is this a worthy way to destroy my cheapo tires? I'm just doing this for fun :) BTW I have Tanabe GF210's and Progress RSB. I think a stock Fit would just plow instead of turn in.

El Chupacabura 12-08-2008 05:34 PM

I think there would be a bit too much body roll on a stock fit to do anything like that. IDK on my car with my coilovers installed it's lots of fun to slide the fit around corners. It rained near my house this weekend so I was able to have lots of fun sliding. Yes it might be idiotic but its lots of fun!!

TOOL 12-08-2008 05:44 PM

Without pulling the e-brake?
Hmm. Ive taken turns hard in the rain, only some undertseer never oversteer.

Rubba Burna 12-08-2008 05:45 PM

i id it... on dry roads >.< my point is, you will definatly feel the body roll, the last time i did it made me want to stop... because it over steered, it littlerally scared the shit outta me.. i hit the neutrel n turned away from the tail... it was scary man.. stock fit and tires but still, you will end up with a serious over steer...

MNfit 12-08-2008 06:48 PM

I dont know if its because of the Progress rear "sway bar" or if its just the car. I was driving to day and the roads had a some snow on it and going threw it the car would get a little skitish and the back would feel loose.

coupdetat 12-08-2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by TOOL (Post 514859)
Without pulling the e-brake?
Hmm. Ive taken turns hard in the rain, only some undertseer never oversteer.

It probably has a lot to do with your tires. I'm on 185/60/14's (maybe 55, I don't remember) so there is barely any grip. It's much harder to slide on my summer Falken RT-615's which are 205/50/15.

Raaaaaaaaaay. 12-08-2008 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MNfit (Post 514935)
I dont know if its because of the Progress rear "sway bar" or if its just the car. I was driving to day and the roads had a some snow on it and going threw it the car would get a little skitish and the back would feel loose.

The Progress sway made it harder for me to ass drag.
Since Ive removed it its real easy. :)

jtsimaras 12-08-2008 10:17 PM

Someone post a vid---:wavey:

solbrothers 12-08-2008 10:37 PM

ive slid my fit on black ice. wasnt meaning to do it, so it shocked/surprised me.

im on skunk2 coilovers, progress rear swaybar, and crappy 5 year old tires

accordguyintake 12-08-2008 10:45 PM

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...brake-fun.html

i just had to post it... hahahaha

im sure you have seen it already but yeah... FIT=NEW BEST DRIFT CAR! lolll jk :)

Rubba Burna 12-08-2008 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by accordguyintake (Post 515183)
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...brake-fun.html

i just had to post it... hahahaha

im sure you have seen it already but yeah... FIT=NEW BEST DRIFT CAR! lolll jk :)

aww i thought it was a video :(

sl0wp0k3 12-09-2008 12:18 AM

completely stock(including tires) auto-x in the rain can result in oversteer with only slightly aggressive inputs during transitions. it caught me by surprise at first, but it became controlled slides pretty easily, not fast, but fun. in just plain sweepers it was just plain understeer.

Chukwudi 12-09-2008 09:12 PM

Last time I slide in my Fit (which was almost a month ago) I was in a car accident...

Beware! Car repairs! Get new tires if need be...

accordguyintake 12-10-2008 01:53 AM

YouTube - Honda Fit rainy E-brake drift: trial 3

YouTube - Honda Fit rainy E-brake drift: Final Trial!!!

...Disclaimer* Not intended for street use :]

wdb 12-10-2008 05:12 PM

Sounds like fun to me. I was doing e-brake donuts in the parking lot at work last night, woohoo! Not sure why your back end is stepping out unless the difference in front/rear traction is sufficient to cause it to happen. I've seen videos of FWD cars with winter tires on the front only, and they slide sideways and loop around when they lose traction due to the front tires having so much more grip than the rears.

Mr B 12-10-2008 06:20 PM

Hehehehehe... Horse Thief Mile @ Willow Springs

YouTube - Bryan Rogers Honda Fit Drifting

Rubba Burna 12-10-2008 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by accordguyintake (Post 516303)

WOWWEE you just inspired me to drift again hehe gotta find a quiet parking lot tho >_> ...and does it make a difference if you yank the e-brake or ease the e-brake? i yanked it...

btw i saw ur "damn them asians" vid, funny as hell lol "-squael- oh sorry bro" lmao your becoming one of them :rotfl:

Fitcapo 12-10-2008 07:06 PM

I am looking forward to when it snows on a weekend that I have off of work that way I can find myself a nice parking lot and slide all over the place.

Sa211050 12-11-2008 09:19 AM

It's raining horribly in Georgia now and supposed to last through the weekend. I want to try so bad but im all stock and never tried messing with the ebrake before...don't really want to slide into a curb or anything.

accordguyintake 12-11-2008 11:19 AM

I prefer to yank rather than slowly pull but i dont think i ever tried slowly pulling it. If you're a beginner you might wanna try this, the first time i used the hand brake for this purpose, my friend told me to go about 25mph on dry tarmac (15 or so if wet), turn the wheel and rip the hand brake. Most of the time this made the car do a 180 and stop. After that i tried different things on my own and it led to the things i do in my video... hahaha just a thought :)

ooh a few tips too:

scandinavian flick is good! (flick the wheel the opposite way first before turning in to throw more weight out

find smooth floors if possible to get better sliding and less tire damage if dry

have the car in neutral if you try the thing i was talking about, that way it'll kick out easier. those vids of me up there were my FIRST time applying throttle, all other times i was on the clutch