Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   "Loose Fuel Cap" light (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/35880-loose-fuel-cap-light.html)

violation 12-16-2008 12:48 AM

"Loose Fuel Cap" light

hey everyone,

Noobie here, but I've had my fit since June 07 (15k miles or so on the clock).

Anyway, I registered and did some searches but couldn't come up with anything... hopefully you won't shoot me for asking this.

A "Loose Fuel Cap" light started flashing tonight, where the odometer usually is. I think it says "check loose fuel cap" or something similar. I checked the cap, twice. Unscrewed then screwed it back on. But nothing. There is 1/2 tank gas in there right now. Shut off the car then started her up again. Still the same problem. I could not find any threads on this but hopefully someone can help. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I may try to wake early and head to a nearby dealership before work. Maybe the light will magically disappear tomorrow. Who knows.

So anyone able to help at all? Seen something like this before?

Thanks all.

kylerwho 12-16-2008 12:55 AM

unplug your battery and wait 2 minutes. then plug it back in and turn on the fit. this should reset the ecu and the light should go away. make sure the gas cap is on tight too. listen for 3 clicks at least.

Fit of RAGE 12-16-2008 09:02 AM

Put some "Vaseline" on the seal of the gas cap. then just wait for 40 key cycles or less. the computer will continue to monitor it. If it sees the problem is fixed, it will turn off the light.

spreadhead 12-16-2008 09:37 AM

Mine did this, checked fuel cap, it was OK, "Check Fuel Cap" was gone the next morning.

GD3_Wagoon 12-16-2008 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by kylerwho (Post 520883)
unplug your battery and wait 2 minutes. then plug it back in and turn on the fit. this should reset the ecu and the light should go away. make sure the gas cap is on tight too. listen for 3 clicks at least.

if/when you do this, make sure you have your stereo key code on hand. when i installed my intake i had to remove/adjust the battery and it asked for my key code when i plugged the battery back in and started it up. i didn't know WTF the key code was so i frantically searched through my dealer papers LoL

chaseerry 12-16-2008 11:36 AM

My Fit has thrown the "Check Fuel Cap" once before. I stopped twice within 30 minutes to make sure it was tight.
The notification was gone the next day.
Odd.

Fitcapo 12-16-2008 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by chaaree (Post 521068)
if/when you do this, make sure you have your stereo key code on hand. when i installed my intake i had to remove/adjust the battery and it asked for my key code when i plugged the battery back in and started it up. i didn't know WTF the key code was so i frantically searched through my dealer papers LoL

Is this with your manual or located somewhere else with paperwork? Just so I know for future reference.

Fitftw 12-16-2008 12:18 PM

the radio code should be on a separate piece of paper that the dealer gives you.

violation 12-16-2008 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by spreadhead (Post 521042)
Mine did this, checked fuel cap, it was OK, "Check Fuel Cap" was gone the next morning.

Originally Posted by chaseerry (Post 521084)
My Fit has thrown the "Check Fuel Cap" once before. I stopped twice within 30 minutes to make sure it was tight.
The notification was gone the next day.
Odd.

UPDATE: this morning, as i was going to leave for work, i was going to unplug the battery. but when i started her up, no "Check Fuel Cap" light. so all is well i guess. http://smiliesftw.com/x/dunno.gif

thx for the tips tho!

GD3_Wagoon 12-16-2008 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fitcapo (Post 521090)
Is this with your manual or located somewhere else with paperwork? Just so I know for future reference.

it's on a separate card that's about the size of a business card. mine was plastic sealed and attached to the stereo warranty guidelines/dealer BS.

Jodele 12-30-2008 07:20 AM

Slow Fuel Cap Leak

Mine did that too…an 07. I called my friend at the Honda dealer and he told me to turn off the car and then start it three times…that clears it. No radio codes to re-input either.

As for the Vaseline…ArmorAll does a much better job…and not as messy!

baldddguy 12-30-2008 09:36 AM

My 'check fuel cap' warning came on when I started home from work last night ~ about 240 miles since my last fill up (2007 MT Sport ~35000 miles). I stopped at the dealer and they reset the computer. The service fellow said sometimes serious sloshing might trigger the sensor. I did make a more rapid than usual sharp turn exiting the parking garage just before the warning appeared. I'll keep an eye on it.

Dave