Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Interior Wet From Leaks? PLEASE READ! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/49621-interior-wet-leaks-please-read.html)

Gffy2334 10-16-2009 06:40 AM

Interior Wet From Leaks? PLEASE READ!

Alright, did some searching and there have been a few members on here reporting that their FIT had water on the rear floorboards after sitting parked during continuous rain lasting somewhat over an hour.

I'm stationed in Japan right now, the wife is taking care of the cars while i'm away and mentioned having this problem. ( She's in northern Florida where it regularly rains for 2-4 days almost continuously.)

I sent here to the dealer who we've bought two cars from, they send her back after two days, with nothing found, and nothing resolved.

It rains again for two days straight a week later, and she brings the car back into the dealer. They tell her this week after a (maintenance?) manager looks at the car that he's seen about 25 cases of this problem reported, but that isn't enough nation wide to warrant a recall or a Technical Directive to fix it. He also cited that it was not the plastic door liner seal that was the culprit with the water leaking into the interior. It was some other external seal. I will get clarification today when it's an appropriate time to call the U.S. and let you guys know.

What is needed from everyone that has this problem is simple. Report it to your dealer! bring some back up from the Forum as proof that it isn't just your car if you need to.

I realize a lot of people do not live in rainy environments, but if you notice that it rained last night before you just leave your drive way check the rear foot well for dampness.

Thanx for the great site, I (my wife) did have to point the dealership in the right direction.

Gffy2334 10-16-2009 10:35 AM

I just got off the phone with the service manager, and he told me that there was a firewall plug that was not sealed correctly from the factory, and a body seam that needed attention. They re-treated both areas yesterday, and it did rain again all last night, however the floor boards are dry right now after their fix.

We do keep the Fit parked at an incline in our driveway, about 5 deg. So the body seam near the drivers door, and the firewall plug could be accurate.

Either way, we are pretty persistent with these things, and will stay on top of the dealership should we need more assistance.

BTW my dealership has won more than a few customer satisfaction awards, and are pretty particular about not pissing me off, at least in my experience...

DarkFit 10-16-2009 12:07 PM

I for one have not had any leaking in my fit, but that's good that they found the opening, now people can get their fits fixed.

trancedsailor 10-16-2009 12:13 PM

I didn't know Fits ever had leaking problems. My car does though lol

vallerys 10-16-2009 06:56 PM

Front door Leak? HELP

I read both of your e-mails from today, I have a 2007 Honda that is less than 5,000 miles out of Warranty. We took it to the Honda Dealer because of the water building up in the back carpets. The dealer checked it, tore all the carpet apart and tore all the doors apart until he found that ALL of the carpet Front and back was soaked through from the Front Driver's side back, and needs to be replaced. Then, he said that the leak is coming from the seal in the Driver's door that is not sealing properly. He said that it will not be covered under Warranty "even if your warranty was still fully intact". But, I have been having difficulty shuting that door ever since I got the car.

I don't know what to do, they want to charge me over $ 800.

Thanks for any help,
Sandy

Originally Posted by Gffy2334 (Post 763994)
I just got off the phone with the service manager, and he told me that there was a firewall plug that was not sealed correctly from the factory, and a body seam that needed attention. They re-treated both areas yesterday, and it did rain again all last night, however the floor boards are dry right now after their fix.

We do keep the Fit parked at an incline in our driveway, about 5 deg. So the body seam near the drivers door, and the firewall plug could be accurate.

Either way, we are pretty persistent with these things, and will stay on top of the dealership should we need more assistance.

BTW my dealership has won more than a few customer satisfaction awards, and are pretty particular about not pissing me off, at least in my experience...

spin out 10-16-2009 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by vallerys (Post 764190)
I read both of your e-mails from today, I have a 2007 Honda that is less than 5,000 miles out of Warranty. We took it to the Honda Dealer because of the water building up in the back carpets. The dealer checked it, tore all the carpet apart and tore all the doors apart until he found that ALL of the carpet Front and back was soaked through from the Front Driver's side back, and needs to be replaced. Then, he said that the leak is coming from the seal in the Driver's door that is not sealing properly. He said that it will not be covered under Warranty "even if your warranty was still fully intact". But, I have been having difficulty shuting that door ever since I got the car.

I don't know what to do, they want to charge me over $ 800.

Thanks for any help,
Sandy

many times on this board, i've seen it suggested to call "honda america" (1-800-999-1009) when a dealer is balking at your issues. i believe even suggesting you'd call them can make a dealer bend somewhat. dont hold me to that... but i recall hearing evidence of that.
anyway, regardless, call honda america and tell them about your issue and tell them others have had a similar problem.

NVRL8 10-19-2009 03:17 PM

I just got off the phone with Honda America and they are not aware of anny probleme concernig water infiltration of anny kind. My next step will be to contact the dealer. Gffy2344, I was wondering if there were anny fees related to the water fix when you whent to the dealer?

Gffy2334 10-21-2009 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by NVRL8 (Post 765234)
I just got off the phone with Honda America and they are not aware of anny probleme concernig water infiltration of anny kind. My next step will be to contact the dealer. Gffy2344, I was wondering if there were anny fees related to the water fix when you whent to the dealer?

My dealer did not charge me anything to fix my car. I have no idea why other dealerships try to make their customers pay for something like this.

I honestly suppose that when I go in to deal with them or buy something I make it clear that I won't take their shit, and I TRY to be courteous and respectful towards their profession (This is only helped by the fact that I am a Marine dealing in a smallish military town.)

Good luck with your dealers, Just make it clear through attitude and mannerisms that escalation of force is only a phone call away (HONDA AMERICA), this is usually enough to at least get them to listen to you.

Edison Carasio 10-21-2009 06:22 PM

My Fit is getting wet on the roof where the antenna is. I've heard of this before. Anyone gone to the dealer for this? I have 48k miles, so I'm out of warranty.

Scratch&Dent 10-25-2009 07:19 PM

I have had this happen about 5 times, but I attributed it to leaving the rear window down about 1/2 an inch. Maybe it's actually leaking...

AfterlifeBrock 10-25-2009 07:33 PM

I have talked to a couple people with fits and none of them have ever had an issue with leaking, but now that Winter in coming around and we are going to be getting snow, that might change.

moyad63 05-28-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by NVRL8 (Post 765234)

Now thats funny (NOT!!!) When i called Honda USA i spoke with an ALEX and he said the same exact words almost verbatim (they are not aware of any problems concernig water infiltration or Leaks of any kind))
they must be scripted to say that, becaus they DO KNOW that it is a problem. WHAT a SHAM!!!!!!:mad:

pauljazz 05-29-2010 12:56 PM

I had water in the boot well below the spare wheel in my 2002 Jazz and the dealer fixed the problem FREE of charge 2 months ago and the boot is still dry..

Machiel 05-29-2010 01:06 PM

Got an idea, how they fixed it? and where was that leak?

Globalksp 11-21-2017 08:54 PM

This thread died long ago, but I found it useful now that my 2007 Fit has water in the spare tire well of the boot as well as wet floors on the passenger side.

In the years that have passed since this thread was started, has anyone else had this issue? Any resolutions?

fightinghamster 11-22-2017 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Globalksp (Post 1386209)
This thread died long ago, but I found it useful now that my 2007 Fit has water in the spare tire well of the boot as well as wet floors on the passenger side.

In the years that have passed since this thread was started, has anyone else had this issue? Any resolutions?

I had heard that the main way water got in was around the hatchback around the rear quarter windows and on the rain rails filling those areas with silicone is supposed to fix it but it ends up looking like crap

Globalksp 11-22-2017 10:57 AM

Thanks! Hoping to dig into it over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Redskull 11-23-2017 06:37 PM

took it to the dealer and hey couldnt find out were

bbaer1 04-05-2018 08:36 PM

Leaks

My wife's 2007 Base leaks into the spare tire well. Every year I have to take everything out and sponge it dry, and there's usually about 1 1/2" of water in it. Never knew where it was coming from but after checking out some YouTube videos I discovered that our Fit also has the cracks around the top corner(s) of the hatch. I ordered some red-colored Flexseal to mimic her paint job and will try this out when I've got a day nice enough to do it. Hopefully it will look better than some of the caulking hatchet jobs I saw on YouTube. Haven't had a problem with any of the passenger carpets, just the donut well.

fr8train 04-05-2018 09:45 PM

My fit leaks water in as well. It's been doing so since new I've been told. It was taken in under warranty several times to get "fixed", but it leaks after sitting in heavy rain to this day.