1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Who wants more miles per tank, not MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
Southern California driving is really hard on gas mileage figures... Dallas and Houston are pretty much the same way except that once you are away from it you can drive a long way hassle free....Living in a rural area and seldom hitting any traffic jams are the only reasons I get the mileage I do.... Thirty years ago in Dallas I was doing well to get 37MPG in a VW diesel pickup and when I got out into the country I was able to get over 50MPG with ease and got to where I was consistently getting 54.7.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Southern California driving is really hard on gas mileage figures... Dallas and Houston are pretty much the same way except that once you are away from it you can drive a long way hassle free....Living in a rural area and seldom hitting any traffic jams are the only reasons I get the mileage I do.... Thirty years ago in Dallas I was doing well to get 37MPG in a VW diesel pickup and when I got out into the country I was able to get over 50MPG with ease and got to where I was consistently getting 54.7.
yeah its all the damn traffic. But I know the fit is capable. In december i went on a road trip to santa barbara, than to monterey bay and back, and had a car with 4 people and luggage. I got 45mpg going 80mph the whole way.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
yeah its all the damn traffic. But I know the fit is capable. In december i went on a road trip to santa barbara, than to monterey bay and back, and had a car with 4 people and luggage. I got 45mpg going 80mph the whole way.
I was getting great mileage during the winter before I supercharged it driving faster than what what we are supposed to talk about here and still getting 37 to 39 MPG and the first summer I had it I got 42 on a trip back from Mexico running the A/C. I have louvers on the hood and will probably put spacers between the hood and hood latches to flow more air to lower intake air temperature, and cut down on air turbulence under the car.... I am alway messing around doing stuff like that just to see what will happen.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
300 a tank. I fill to one good shake and drive till the light comes on then fill back up at work or the house, which ever I was headed too when the light comes on. I run the shit out of mine at 80 with the daily burst to 90 or so to pass the dumbass in the hammer lane doing 70.

It's a cheap ass plastic and beer can car boys. Drive and have fun.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Wow, I only get between 215 and 250 miles outta a tank, I fill when my light comes on, and Ive never put more than nine gallons in it. But I drive town, highway, town twice a day, and Im a bit hard on her, lol. Im gonna try the shake method, cant hurt to try it!!!!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
I have put as much as 13 gallons in my tank by filling it and the fill tube completely to the top... I have been doing it since August 2006 when I bought the car with no problems... Just don't fill it to the top on a hot day without burning a gallon of fuel before leaving the car parked in the sun or you could have problems.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jensen Healy
I don't like to see big $$$ on the pump when I fill it up, even though in the long run, it still costs me the same.
NOT true! You're carrying more weight around more of the time, so you're getting slightly less MPG than while driving with less than half a tank, etc. So you're costing yourself more money!!!!

I usually get around 320 miles out of a tank before I fill up, it usually takes about 9 gallons to fill up so I figure there's at least a gallon in reserve even while driving on the empty line

Old 02-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by whaap
i guess the saying: "whatever floats your boat" would apply. I drive till the needle becomes a concern, stop, fill up to the first click and think about other things.

+1 !!!!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by TMH42
NOT true! You're carrying more weight around more of the time, so you're getting slightly less MPG than while driving with less than half a tank, etc. So you're costing yourself more money!!!!

I usually get around 320 miles out of a tank before I fill up, it usually takes about 9 gallons to fill up so I figure there's at least a gallon in reserve even while driving on the empty line

I was thinking the same !

Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
I seriously doubt the 21.3 lbs of fuel at a constant speed of 75 to 80 MPH is going to make any more of a difference than having to exit the freeway 100 + miles sooner, find a station and reenter accelerating back up to speed is going to use.. Also take into consideration that when you are buying gasoline from a station on an interstate or US highway you will be paying a higher price for it and there are times when you have to wait until there is a pump that is not in use or people waiting in line to pay for gas and other items... If weight is a concern, lighter wheels and tires to cut down on rotating mass can have the same effect as driving with 1/4 tank of gas and even more in stop and go driving.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
Ok…here is the deal. The expansion space is at least 10% by federal regulations. What this does is compensates for potential fuel expansion from cold fuel to hot fuel. But the calculation assumes that you have filled your tank in the dead of winter in the Antarctic, and then within an hour, the car magically appeared the Sahara Desert in the dead of summer. They use the extreme recorded temperatures and go from there to be conservative. So, what do we do? I too always put in an extra 1.8 to 2.0 gallons in after the first click but only if I know I will be driving at least 60-miles right after the refueling to burn it off. If the car will be parked after refueling, I never over fill it.

I’ve got over 200,000 on my GD3 and my overall average is 29-mpg. That’s it! But I’m always crossing the Appellations at 80-MPH…posted is 70-MPH. I’m at wide open throttle (WOT) a good 30% of the time. I don’t think many people can make that claim. Oh, and the engine ECU cuts out the engine with a bang at 120-MPH by GPS…

Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by kakrohn
I don't know if the Fit has the same type of emissions system as other cars... but I know alot of GM and Toyota cars, if you overfilled them too often, then the "charcoal canister thing" would fill up with gasoline & cause a check engine light (until the gas evaporated or you replaced the canister).
Been there done that on my son's 2001 Chevy prizm (aka corrolla) the charcoal canister was toast. The mechanic said to stop filling at the first click and it should last. My wife's matrix has the exact same setup (looks like the exact same canister), we stop at the first click now, so far 90000 miles with no issues with the canister.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
I had a bit of trouble when I filled my BMW R1100GS completely to the top while on the center stand... It ran rough for a few seconds and would put out a very rich exhaust mixture... My Fit is driven at least 18 miles after a fill up and then parked in a barn I don't have but just under 41000 miles on it but I have been filling it like this since early July 2006 most of the time it is driven over 40 miles before being parked.. There is never any fuel odor where the car is parked... You do drive the hell out of your car Jodele.. My car would only reach 115 except on a long hill where it would barely get to 120 even with 5PSI boost helping it along... It doesn't take long to get well past that speed now but I'm not driving it as fast now as I did before doing the 10PSI high boost upgrade.. I found that in addition to losing bottom end torque there is also some power loss at top end with after market exhaust and intake but from 4.5k to 5.8k it felt stronger or maybe just gave the impression it was by the sound it made.. It would pass slower moving cars with less effort and more quickly....

Old 02-28-2012, 02:32 AM
After getting 500+ mile tanks out of cars with much lower MPG and slightly bigger tanks, it is kind of hard to stop under 400 miles and put in less than 10 gallons...

Hmm... might try the "extra" capacity on a trip.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
I fill to the top better than 60% of the time but I drive enough before parking that a gallon or better is used before I park it.... I'm sure that I've parked it for days without driving but 8 or 10 miles first without having any kind of problems..

Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by F0NIX
Well, I also does that car-shaking and fill up to three clicks. Always drive a hell of a long time before I see movement on the needle
And most of the time I dont fill up before the fuel lights come on. But I have not tried to find out by driving it empty to find out how much fuel there is in the tank after the fuel light has come on.

I have seen comments that you never should drive after the fuel lights come on and that you never should overfill.
But I have actually asked my local Honda dealer that actually knows a lot about this car as he owns one for himself (well his wife actually), and he has found nothing that could harm the car when "overfilling" or driving empty. He only said that if you overfill and it goes over the edge, you pay for more than you actually get into the fueltank...
But he could not find any numbers on how large the tank (with filler neck) actually stores maximum. There is only one number for the tank itself and that is how much you could fit before the low-fuel lamps comes on...

Has anyone here tried to measure how large the spare-tank is?
By driving it until it gets empty?
to be honest all that crap at the bottom of the tank clogs the filter when it goes really low it happened to me once ex wife always left me an empty tank lol

Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virrdog
After getting 500+ mile tanks out of cars with much lower MPG and slightly bigger tanks, it is kind of hard to stop under 400 miles and put in less than 10 gallons...
You'll find that as you (or your passengers) get older, the limiting factor about how far to go on a tank is your bladder, not the car's capacity....

Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
You'll find that as you (or your passengers) get older, the limiting factor about how far to go on a tank is your bladder, not the car's capacity....
Just allow yourself straight liquor on long trips and you won't have to pull over as often as you would by drinking something with nasty old water in it..

Old 03-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Damn, I barely get around 32-33mpg. I think it's crazy that some of you are getting such great gas mileage. I just changed the plugs and the oil the other day, lets see if it makes a difference whatsoever.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Depends on traffic...really. Los Angeles basin or NYC area can make your mileage SUCK.

Another way to increase MPG is to move into a jurisdiction that uses Imperial gallons!

Quick Reply: Who wants more miles per tank, not MPG?