1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Who wants more miles per tank, not MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Who wants more miles per tank, not MPG?

Who wants MORE miles on a tank of gas? I will hit 360-365 miles BEFORE my low gas light comes on. And often go 50 more miles before filling when the light does come on. But I am only getting 33.5 MPG highway driving 75 MPH. When I fill up, I will put in up to 12.9 gallons in a 10.8 gallon tank!

How so you say? Defeating the laws of physics. When I fill up and it clicks off, I shake the car side to side, add gas, shake, ad gas, shake.... This puts .2 gallons in each time. I can fill it up to the opening, about another two gallons or more after first click. I will get 120 miles before the gas needle even moves, 220 miles to a half tank. And the above mentioned 360 plus miles when the low gas light comes on. If I fill to first click I am lucky to get 280 miles until the gas light comes on.

Please, please, please don't tell me it is not good to fill up that full. Been doing it since new, 50,000 miles and have not had one lick of trouble. If you don't want to do it then don't. Don't rain on my parade...

Last edited by rocksnap; 04-04-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I also does that car-shaking and fill up to three clicks. Always drive a hell of a long time before I see movement on the needle
And most of the time I dont fill up before the fuel lights come on. But I have not tried to find out by driving it empty to find out how much fuel there is in the tank after the fuel light has come on.

I have seen comments that you never should drive after the fuel lights come on and that you never should overfill.
But I have actually asked my local Honda dealer that actually knows a lot about this car as he owns one for himself (well his wife actually), and he has found nothing that could harm the car when "overfilling" or driving empty. He only said that if you overfill and it goes over the edge, you pay for more than you actually get into the fueltank...
But he could not find any numbers on how large the tank (with filler neck) actually stores maximum. There is only one number for the tank itself and that is how much you could fit before the low-fuel lamps comes on...

Has anyone here tried to measure how large the spare-tank is?
By driving it until it gets empty?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
The only gas tank I let get near empty is my motorcycle's. But that's because it has no fuel gauge or trip odometer. So when it loses energy and I have to switch to the reserve tank on it, that's when I fill it up with around 3 gallons. I do use my Casio DBC150 http://www.chezmaman.com/upload/photos/CASIO/dbc%20150%20black/dbc-150-black-xl.jpg
as my trip odometer.

While I don't go much further than a half a tank before I fill my Fit up. That's just a psychological thing with me. I don't like to see big $$$ on the pump when I fill it up, even though in the long run, it still costs me the same. At least I'll never run out of gas. I do keep a spare gallon with me though just in case.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I guess the saying: "Whatever floats your boat" would apply. I drive till the needle becomes a concern, stop, fill up to the first click and think about other things.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Don't care about miles per tank at all for me. On a cross country trip or something, being able to go an extra 50 miles before stopping would be handy, but other than that it doesn't matter. Having to fill up every 2 weeks instead of every 2 weeks and 2 days? :shrug:

And with my short commute, it's more like every 25 days vs. every 30.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I never overfill but I do drive the Fit even after the gas light comes on but I do estimate to make sure that I will make it to the next gas pump. Before when I was hypermiling I was able to make 400+ before the gas light comes on. Right now, the gas light comes on between 325-350 miles and I will still continue to drive for about 30-40 miles before I refill.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Getting about 400 miles out of a tank is good enough for me. Also I have had other cars that overfilling caused some check engine lights to come on, but I haven't heard about the Fit having those kinds of issues.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I have been a chronic over-filler with every car i have ever owned (blame my mother who ran every car she ever owned out of gas, regularly) My Fit hasn't had any trouble, but my wifes Forester has begun to have Evaporative Emission control issues. My mileage and experience has mirrored the OP almost exactly. I would like to have a 14.5 gallon tank so i could go farther between fillups, but I don't want to pay the piper in reduced vehicle dynamics....

Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 PM
300/tank.......regardless of how i drived..........

Old 04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
I have been filling to the top for 47 months, have gone over 400 miles numerous times and have put over 13 gallons in my tank frequently.... Before adding a supercharger I averaged 37 to 39 MPG and dropped to as low as 28 to 33.5 MPG with the S/C..... I got over 37MPG on my last tank and have over 200 at the 1/2 way mark on this tank thanks to the ECO 5 mode on my throttle controller.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know if the Fit has the same type of emissions system as other cars... but I know alot of GM and Toyota cars, if you overfilled them too often, then the "charcoal canister thing" would fill up with gasoline & cause a check engine light (until the gas evaporated or you replaced the canister).

Old 04-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
300/tank.......regardless of how i drived..........
I'm in the same boat. It'd be nice to get another 50-100 miles per tank but like it was said by others, I fill up once every 2 weeks on average so it's not a big deal to me. I do travel between St. Louis and PA several times a year and it'd be nice for that trip. Although more gas = more weight, which I do not want.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alvarospatchez
I'm in the same boat. It'd be nice to get another 50-100 miles per tank but like it was said by others, I fill up once every 2 weeks on average so it's not a big deal to me. I do travel between St. Louis and PA several times a year and it'd be nice for that trip. Although more gas = more weight, which I do not want.
I drive 120 miles each way to work but that is several times a month. Reguardless of miles driven, how often you need to fill up it is awesome being able to squeeze 3 plus gallons in and a big deal in the amount of miles you can drive on a tank of gas. As far as not wanting to add more pounds doing so? Come on, be real. That is what, another 13 pounds? I can loose that taking a dump in the morning...! Not to mention you will never even feel the difference. No offense...

I think it is great driving 120 miles before the gas needle even moves. It sucked only going 300 miles when I filled to first click. Now over 400! But I will say it does suck sitting there at the pump shaking and filling to get the extra gas in. Though it is great not having to stop so often if you drive any amount. Oh well...No evaporator canister issues. No check engine lights. Done this dozens of times, thousands of miles, over two years since new.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM
You would feel that extra weight believe me, 4 extra gallons (not including whatever you can squeeze into the filler neck) would weigh about 32 pounds. Ever notice how much extra pep your Fit has when the tank is empty? I go about 140 miles round trip to work every day so i feel your pain. I'm just glad I get 40 MPG, imagine if you drove an Escalade!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
In daily driving inside the city I usually average 400 km per 42L tank...so that's roughly 250 mi.

More miles per tank would be great but really it's a function of the driver - so more MPG = more miles per tank. I don't really drive with an economy bias (I rev the nuts off my L13A3 from time to time) so the fact that I'm still pulling 400 km per tank, even with uneconomical driving and heavy 16" wheels, is pretty damn good news to me.

Imagine how much more frugal I would be in the daily grind if I drove like a saint.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:05 PM
HAR! not getting the distance you need outta a fillup? my other car is s 2003 WRX, i converted it to flex fuel (e85 or gas or mixture) as an aside with an upgraded turbo the thing runs like a raped ape.. anyways.. i bought these 15 gallon hdpe recycle drums to store e85 in since the closest e85 station is 10 miles away. sometimes i go fetch fuel in my fit. put the seats back put the drums in and to get 30 gallons of fuel wonder how far i could get if i filled up my fit and two 15 gallons 'reserve' tanks? btw, i also have a 20 gallon drum that i bought by mistake thinking it was a 15 gallon unit. fits in the FIT too but with 20 gallons of fuel i would probably strain my back getting it out of the car and into the storage shed.. now how far could you get on 40 gallons of reserve fuel plus a full tank? course i dont feel real secure driving long distances with 30 gallons of flammable liquid in the back seat..

Old 04-16-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Am I the only one that barely gets 250 miles per tank...

Old 04-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by andre181
Am I the only one that barely gets 250 miles per tank...
It must be the way you drive and your driving condition. My advice is easy acceleration and learn how to predict what's ahead of you so you could prevent too much breaking.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Driving Style Effects this Car's MPG's Alot

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have been filling to the top for 47 months, have gone over 400 miles numerous times and have put over 13 gallons in my tank frequently.... Before adding a supercharger I averaged 37 to 39 MPG and dropped to as low as 28 to 33.5 MPG with the S/C..... I got over 37MPG on my last tank and have over 200 at the 1/2 way mark on this tank thanks to the ECO 5 mode on my throttle controller.
Were Tex is at ECO 5 I'm at SP 7 and want an SP 10.
But I get 250 out of 7-7.5 gallons when I behave and I like to run her like a scalded ape 250 will be 8-8.5 gal.
I fill up 1 a week and from 0-100 miles I'm usally @ 7/8 of a tank. I personally feel it's the gas mix vs. mpg some tanks have been (27-26mpg) bad mpg and the next one is 5-6 mpg more; they are never the same. The best was 44mpg on a trip straight cruising, fresh oil/filter 10k on the clock yadda yadda yadda.

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 04-17-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
wow. I get only as much as 275-280 on 9.5 gallons of gas. I always drive in Eco mode with the blitz TC. This consists of 21% freeway, and 79% city driving.

Quick Reply: Who wants more miles per tank, not MPG?