Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   My engine use oil... (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/55587-my-engine-use-oil.html)

Sylak 05-13-2010 05:40 PM

My engine use oil...

Hi, My fit is nering 51 000 km ( 31 000 miles) and since last year i have keep a close watch on my oil level, and my car use oil. I use Honda synthetic oil.
for exemple right now i got 1400 km since last oil change (.88 miles) half of the oil is gone. in sept 2009 i told this to my dealer, and i didn't know what it could be, we decide to wait to see if it will get back to normal. but like i said half the oil is gone after 1400km, FDid any of you had problem like that? my engine feel ok. My dealer say they can run test on the engine. any opinion?

mahout 05-13-2010 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sylak (Post 855450)
Hi, My fit is nering 51 000 km ( 31 000 miles) and since last year i have keep a close watch on my oil level, and my car use oil. I use Honda synthetic oil.
for exemple right now i got 1400 km since last oil change (.88 miles) half of the oil is gone. in sept 2009 i told this to my dealer, and i didn't know what it could be, we decide to wait to see if it will get back to normal. but like i said half the oil is gone after 1400km, FDid any of you had problem like that? my engine feel ok. My dealer say they can run test on the engine. any opinion?

in 1400 km, or 869 miles, if your oil level has dropped from the full mark to halfway between the full and low marks, you are using too much oil.
1. check the color of the exhaust especially when the ehgine is downshifted. If its blue the oil is coming out the exhaust due to poor piston ring sealing.
2. check the floor under your car when it sits overnight. If you have to use newspaper to cover the ground to get some idea where the oil is dripping.
3. At the end of a trip, no matter the liength, look around the engine and underneath to see if oil is being blown out from a loose hose orcylinder head gasket. At least thats cheap to fix..

And be sure you have not been overfilling the oil after an oil change.

See if that finds where your oil loss is coming from.

cr4zy3lgato 05-13-2010 09:39 PM

lol... my car use oil... i think you meant burns oil...
the first thing you should check out for are leaks... both under your filter and drain bolt... Do you change the aluminium washer on the bolt each time? I use Castrol Syntec 5w30 on mine and it does consume a little oil... but not that much...
btw where do you live in qc?

polaski 05-14-2010 03:19 AM

I agree with checking for leaks first. The crush washer is the most likely culprit, or a double-sealed oil filter (danger on that one).

What you're describing is half a quart or less on this engine. It's really not that much - most car manufacturers up until recently said right in the owner's manual that less than 1 quart per thousand miles is within normal range. You would just have to check your oil every 2-4 weeks or every 500 miles or so, depending on your driving.

Now to alleviate some worry. Lets hypothesize you are burning oil. My civic burned oil- a lot. It would go through a quart every 500 miles if I did short trips and every 250 miles if I did long trips. Double those ranges on synthetic. It did this for the entire time I drove the car and that was over 80k miles. It lasted because I never gave up checking it and never tolerated a low oil level, something that can easily kill the y8 due to its anemic 35gpm oil pump.

Has it mattered what oil you've used? Believe it or not, my fit won't burn $11 motorcraft oil but if I put a $23 jug of Mobil1 in it... it turns black and starts disappearing.

cr4zy3lgato 05-14-2010 07:09 AM

btw where you on a level ground when you checked it before and after? did you check it right after you changed the oil? if you checked it before starting the engine at least 1 time, everything should be ok... because in the manual they say that you need 3.6L of oil to fill the engine, but actually once the oil runs through your engine you should need 4L to fill it completely... polaski is right about the double sealed oil filter (a gasket from the old one, and the new one) but i don't think that it's still possible.

Texas Coyote 05-14-2010 08:47 AM

The only time I have noticed any oil loss was when I would fill to the top mark on the dipstick and the level would drop to the half way point... For the first 10 or 15 thousand miles I would replace the oil to the top mark but decided to just fill to the half way point between the marks when I change the oil and it stays at that point until the next change..... I use Mobile 1 5W20 except that right now it has 5W20 Royal Purple... I remember that when I started filling to the 1/2 way point on the stick there was a slight increase in fuel mileage, like 2 mpg I think..... Since adding the supercharger there is no change in oil consumption except the times that I was driving on some great roads with sweeping curves and hills at mostly wide open throttle and going a lot faster than a lot of people would approve of and would use an ounce or two per tank of fuel.... I will be using 5W30 next oil change due to increasing the boost to 10 PSI and if there is an increase in consumption use an even higher viscosity oil.

sonicsc1 05-14-2010 10:10 AM

Welcome to the club i went to the dealer they state one quart between oil changes is within specs , they did say they would do a compression check with an apointment i hate dealers i add a quart every 2500 miles and i dont drive hard infact what ever my style is the same
Consumption

Sylak 05-14-2010 03:41 PM

Ok first, I use Honda synthetic, I wait 2 hours AFTER using the car to check the oil, and today i went to work. so my cay was in the parking lot for 8 hours, and before starting it i check, i know all about that part don't worry. and the oil level is the same, Right between the two dots on the meter. after 1400km not even 1000 miles for you U.S guys. AND like i said i notice oil disapearing before. last time my car use a full pint ( 1 liter) of oil for 6000-6500 km ( 3750 miles - 4062miles). i drove mostly in my city. but last years i did a lot of highway. so i don't think that is the reason.
I don't beat the car, i press the clutch in downhill really often, i don't use the engine compression the slow down, always press the cluth long tiem before a STOP, cheaper the change brake than a tranny or a cluth. i treat the engine. form time to time when i go on hight i do a fast acceleration to 60-70 miles per hours.
right now i'm checking for leak. but nothing is droping on the ground. thats begging to really puzzle me. I LOVE my car a lot.
I'm still under engine warranty anyway. if something happen at least i wont pay for it!
next week (monday) i might speak to my dealer, but thursday the 20th me and i wife are going in NH ( white mountains), it is a 4-5 hours drive from my town in Quebec. so we will do at least 1000km. I might wait to see if the oil level change again. after that trip ( i will carry a pint of oil with me, just in case)

Oh yeah my Fit is a 2007,sport, Blue ,manual. a real 2007 build in february 2007