Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Just got 08 fit 5speed 21k major problems (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/63016-just-got-08-fit-5speed-21k-major-problems.html)

B18blk 02-25-2011 01:47 AM

Just got 08 fit 5speed 21k major problems

Just bought my fit three weeks ago from a certified Honda dealer. The first issue was the jolt while the car was idleing. Which turned out to be A bad coil and was replaced by the dealer. The car still seems not to be idling properly. The second issue was discovered today. A leak from the bottom on the car right under the tranny! So I took it in to the dealer again and I am awaiting to see whAt the issue is. So Im just curious to see if anyone out there has had any of the same isssues. My vehicle is completely covered by warranty, but it's just a hassle to be going back and forth to the dealer..thanks

Texas Coyote 02-25-2011 01:56 AM

Coil packs going bad is pretty common.. If your car is equipped with an automatic transmission it is possibly a hose that has come loose or a loose drain plug if it has been serviced recently... Except for the coil issue these are mechanically sound little cars.

konespeed 02-25-2011 04:15 AM

Most fits don't have problems, but if they do they're all covered on this forum. I've seen familiar descriptions from other threads so check around the maintenance sections of the forums! good luck!

kbri 02-25-2011 07:59 AM

Take heart, I found my rear main oil seal leaking at something under 10k. It was a no-hassle warranty repair taken care of by a dealer in a different state than I bought the car. I'm now at 47k, no repeat leak.

As far as idle quality, unless your service department did an idle relearn, the ECU is still doing pretty much what it did to keep going with a bad coil pack. A coil pack is a one clip, one bolt swap job, and it wouldn't surprise me if the wrench jockey (this is exactly the kind of job guys looking to move up from oil changer get to do) did exactly that - swap the pack. To do a relearn, you just make sure you have the radio code (often on a sticker you can see from the drivers seat when you open the glove box, if not get it from your dealer), disconnect the negative battery terminal (10mm wrench) for about 3 minutes, then reconnect. Start the car and let it sit there running with everything (A/C, blower, radio, headlights, etc..) off until the cooling fan kicks at least twice, plus 10 minutes. (I personally have skipped the let it idle step, and have gone from disconnected to driving in under 2 minutes with no ill effects, but that's your call)

Also, just be aware - these engines need a valve lash adjustment fairly early and often. Depends on who you ask, but 30k - 40k seems to be average. If the previous owner ran it hard (high revs, high temps), you could possibly be getting to where you need an adjustment. Usually the first signs are lower fuel economy, poor idle and/or tough cold start. There is a DIY on this forum for the adjustment, takes a couple hours for a complete noob with tools and common sense to do. I hadn't noticed any issues, adjusted mine @ 40k, was shocked at how much power I gained.

B18blk 02-25-2011 03:46 PM

Thanks for the intle guys. I'm still waiting for the dealer to call me back and let me know what s going on with the leak. I'll be sure to tell them about the idle relearn. Hopefully all the issues get resolved. I really like the car.

Jango_Fit 02-25-2011 06:24 PM

ive got an 09 with 25,833 miles on it as of this morning. ive been noticing a small leak under the car recently, as well as a lot of what seems to be lifter noise. then to kick it off, i pop my hood today to check everything and find a major valve cover leak???? i cant even believe it, im starting to think honda dont build em like they used to. idk, im goin to my dealer tomorrow with it and a long list of complaints. they cant get it straight i may be fitless tomorrow, lol cause ill leave it there w the keys and move on! i do really really love the car though! thats what sucks most!

B18blk 02-25-2011 11:17 PM

@jango I feel u on that. I got the car back. The oil leak was coming the crank seal gasket. They changed it and no more leak. As far the idle issue they told me that they ran a computer diagnostic and everything seems to be idling properly . So my fit is running ok now so let's hope I don't have more issues.

B18blk 03-03-2011 09:30 PM

It has been exactly 6 days since the dealer changed the crack seal gasket. And guess what.. It's leaking oil Again! Don't know where it's coming from but I have to take it in again.. The car now has 22,000 miles.

kbri 03-04-2011 05:04 PM

OUCH!! That really sucks! The only good thing is that you're still under warranty on this. I would talk to the service manager and express your frustration ... you might be able to wrangle something for your hassle (floormats, etc...) as a "goodwill gesture".

Jango_Fit 03-04-2011 09:50 PM

yeah id def. chew some ass! im ready to tell em to take mine and shove it back up theyre asses! im almost not caring if it screws my credit! im SICK of this car!

Remedi 03-04-2011 10:56 PM

Wow, I have an 08 With just under 25k miles and so far I haven't had ANY problems (knock on wood *knock knock*). I hope yours gets fixed. Other Fit owners I know have had no problems each other. Sometimes, a car is just not meant for us and that seems to be your issue.

johnnyb18c 03-11-2011 02:29 PM

that's sucks.. hope you get that taken care of

B18blk 03-17-2011 10:16 PM

So going forward as I type this my car is at the dealer again! 3rd consecutive time. The oil leak is still there they have replaced gaskets, seals, WTF! Today they were going to spray a white solution around the engine to try to pin point the leak. I really love this car but this has been too much! Since this is the third attempt to correct the problem. I know have the option to file a lemon law claim. So ill wait and what the dealer does this time and go from there. Once I get my service record I will post everything that they have changed.

B18blk 03-24-2011 05:20 AM

Fixed! I got the car back last week after 3 Attemps to resolve the issue. The leak was coming from the oil pan. Why!? I wish I knew but it's finally fixed. I've check under the car everyday and no more oil! Now I can enjoy my car.

Grohe 03-25-2011 10:22 AM

Glad you got it fixed. I know it seems like your Fit had a lot of problems when you first got it, but it's probably just small things that added up over some time that the previous owner did not see or care to fix.

Jodele 03-25-2011 10:58 AM

Just an FYI…if you take off the positive terminal off of the battery and touch the positive cable (now off the battery) to the negative side (with the negative cable still attached to the battery), it will instantaneously discharge the ECU…no need to wait 3 minutes.

Also, the valve lash has very little effect on the idle, you get a clacking noise, but the idle is smooth…low on power though.

doctor J 06-14-2016 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jodele (Post 976294)
Just an FYI…if you take off the positive terminal off of the battery and touch the positive cable (now off the battery) to the negative side (with the negative cable still attached to the battery), it will instantaneously discharge the ECU…no need to wait 3 minutes.

Also, the valve lash has very little effect on the idle, you get a clacking noise, but the idle is smooth…low on power though.

I hope it will not mess up the SRS (airbag system) that has capacitors to hold 5 minute charge!:yeahthat: