Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Brake Pad Wear: Riddle Me This (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/63148-brake-pad-wear-riddle-me.html)

Marrk 03-02-2011 02:32 AM

Brake Pad Wear: Riddle Me This

2008 Base Fit with 44,XXX miles on it.

I had been hearing what I thought was brake squeal, so I took the wheels off for a look. The rear drums and shoes were 80% still good. The front pads looked like they could go another 10k miles easily. All except the inboard right front pad, which was worn noticeably more than the others.

I didn't expect that one pad of four would be worn, while the others still had lots of life left. Any thoughts on what might have caused this kind of wear?

Texas Coyote 03-02-2011 03:11 AM

It is common for the inboard pads to wear faster on most cars..

doctordoom 03-02-2011 03:23 AM

the inner pass. side pad on mine was worn more than the inner driver side pad too. i'd noticed before changing my pads that the front pass. wheel accumulated brake dust faster than the front driver side. i bled my brake when i changed the pads and now the dust accumulates evenly on both wheels, give that a shot.

note: both of my inner brake pads were worn more than the outer pads, but that's common in cars with floating calipers since the inner pads are applied first whenever we brake.

mugen boi 03-02-2011 09:24 AM

juz a hunch

as normal Fit has juz a single piston located inside...they'll push the pad 1st then the caliper will push the outside pad

D50boy 03-02-2011 10:43 AM

Couldn't hurt to clean and re-grease the caliper sliders on that side.

Krimson_Cardnal 03-02-2011 11:03 AM

Uneven pad wear is not uncommon at all.
Brake work is often underestimated by those choosing to DIY an sometimes by those who get paid to do it.

There are many reliable sources for proper procedures, but this one is particularly thorough. How to Install Brakes - Technical FAQ

I offer it up for its info and as a nice refresher.

This helps explain wear patterns: Pad Wear Chart

K_C_:cool:

willy65000 03-02-2011 01:08 PM

I think it's probably normal to a degree but mine were completely worn on the inside and the out's looked almost new. I think the article that K_C_ posted a link to explained things pretty well. I think it's a slider pin problem.

Perrenoud Fit 03-02-2011 01:25 PM

Good Information on The Brakes

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal (Post 967548)
Uneven pad wear is not uncommon at all.
Brake work is often underestimated by those choosing to DIY an sometimes by those who get paid to do it.

There are many reliable sources for proper procedures, but this one is particularly thorough. How to Install Brakes - Technical FAQ

I offer it up for its info and as a nice refresher.

This helps explain wear patterns: Pad Wear Chart

K_C_:cool:

Great DIY info +rep if I could

Krimson_Cardnal 03-02-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit (Post 967590)
Great DIY info +rep if I could

Thanks man, I know the feeling - not to worry, you're always in my heart.

Marrk 03-02-2011 02:30 PM

Thanks for the good responses, guys.

Both of my inboard pads were worn more than the outboard ones, but the right inboard was worn more than all the other three.

I did a good brake bleed last summer, so am not too concerned. Brake bleeds are a b*tch for me, because it's a two-man job and I have no one to help me.

I did this job really quickly, but I cleaned and lubed all the parts as per the Fit Service Manual, which is a DIY instruction book in itself. Very useful.

Not sure I know what "caliper sliders" are in Krimson's DIY . . . ?

Thanks again!

With regard to the rear drum brakes: How do you guys remove and install the springs? Do you have a spring tool for this?

Krimson_Cardnal 03-02-2011 03:09 PM

Caliper pins in the FIT. Two for each caliper and top and bottom are different sizes, so don't mix 'em up or the caliper will bind.

Are you referring to the Honda Factory Service Manual? If so it is all spelled out there.

Drum brakes were my training ground for needle nose pliers and channel locks and nasty old springs.