1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Good deal or not: '08 Fit Sport w/ 44k miles for $14.5k

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Good deal or not: '08 Fit Sport w/ 44k miles for $14.5k

Hi Fit Freaks:

I currently have a 2004 VW R32. It's been a great car for the 2.5 years that I've owned it, but much has changed for me recently. My commute has jumped up to 45 miles (one way). That means I'll be driving about 30,000 miles year.

The VW has been great, but it doesn't seem to meet my needs in a few areas: At 30,000 miles a year the fuel economy becomes an issue (I avg about 25-26 MPG on the freeway)... it's been reliable but I'm afraid that driving so much repairs will become more frequent (VW parts are expensive)... and I have some knee and ankle joint issues which become a bigger deal at 30k miles a year.

I've found a local 2008 Honda Fit Sport with 44k miles for $14,500.

Does this seem like a fair deal? Do you think I can negotiate lower? I've thought about buying new, but I'd take a huge depreciation hit given my mileage. But buying used only seems to save a few thousand $$$.

How reliable are 1st gen fits? I'd like to get 3-4 years of use out of it.

Finally, do you guys have any other reccomendations? I need something reliable, fuel-efficent, but fun to drive (I *am* coming from a VW R32!). Any other suggestions?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BUJonathan
Hi Fit Freaks:

I currently have a 2004 VW R32. It's been a great car for the 2.5 years that I've owned it, but much has changed for me recently. My commute has jumped up to 45 miles (one way). That means I'll be driving about 30,000 miles year.

The VW has been great, but it doesn't seem to meet my needs in a few areas: At 30,000 miles a year the fuel economy becomes an issue (I avg about 25-26 MPG on the freeway)... it's been reliable but I'm afraid that driving so much repairs will become more frequent (VW parts are expensive)... and I have some knee and ankle joint issues which become a bigger deal at 30k miles a year.

Does this seem like a fair deal? Do you think I can negotiate lower? I've thought about buying new, but I'd take a huge depreciation hit given my mileage. But buying used only seems to save a few thousand $$$.

Finally, do you guys have any other reccomendations? I need something reliable, fuel-efficent, but fun to drive (I *am* coming from a VW R32!). Any other suggestions?

Thanks to the earthquake and tsunami the flow of Japanese manufactured cars has slowed; that has raised the price of their used cars, especially for cars coming off leases. I would not expect to pay more than $14 k for a really nice 08 with 44k miles but then its a seller's market. You're competing with a lot of potential buyers.
Then on the other hand, just how much diff will the Fit cost. Count on getting 30-32 mpg with the Fit so is the difference in mpg going to pay for the difference it takes to buy the Fit. As far as reliability is concerned the Fit has it all over the VW based on the maintenance. Its more likely the Fit will be wrecked before it wears out. 200k is pretty normal here for life of a honda.

Last edited by mahout; 09-13-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
If the car is in great condition, that is likely the going price today.
Hate to say, that is more than I paid for my 08 new, before tag, title and taxes.
Gegg

Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 AM
It's kind of high almost a dealer price rather than private sale. If your looking for better fuel and power I would look into a civic SI. It's more fun than a fit and get's more gas mileage. Depends on your budget but selling your car private sale rather than a trade is better.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Sorry, I should've clarified, that Fit is at a dealer.

I used to have a 2008 Civic Si sedan company car (previously I was an engineer at Honda). I really loved that car, perfect blend of sporty, but also quiet and comfortable enough to take on road trips. But something about the clutch just didn't work for me and over time just aggravated my joints like none of my previous VWs ever did. So, I ended up purchasing the R32.

I've vowed my next car will be automatic though :-[

Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Jeez. I paid 10k for an 08 base with 50k miles in mint condition....and I feel like I way overpaid

Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Your not going to be happy with the Fit's power for sure if you're coming from an R32. It's just a nice little roomy car with ok gas mileage and very low maintenance. Very reliable as well. I'd say find one for sale on here or look for private sale not the dealer unless they'll work with you on the price. If I was to sell my 08 fit sport to them and it's super clean with only 38,000 miles they would only offer like 9k or 10k then they jack up the price.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
I came from a WRX and I have to agree that you will be disappointed with the power in a Fit. You will also find that the fit and finish is several steps below what you are used to (then again it is not in the same class as the R32 so that's to be expected). I get about 33mpg on my Fit on the highway and around 30 in town, given the price of gas it is better financially than the 25 highway I was getting with the WRX but not THAT much better. Where you will see major improvements is the Fit is a good deal cheaper to maintain (especially tires), very reliable and it really is quite good as a little utility vehicle. I have an 8 year old so that has been useful in that way, but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the WRX. A lot.

Last edited by dixeyk; 09-17-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dixeyk
I came from a WRX and I have to agree that you will be disappointed with the power in a Fit. You will also find that the fit and finish is several steps below what you are used to (then again it is not in the same class as the R32 so that's to be expected). I get about 33mpg on my Fit on the highway and around 30 in town, given the price of gas it is better financially than the 25 highway I was getting with the WRX but not THAT much better. Where you will see major improvements is the Fit is a good deal cheaper to maintain (especially tires), very reliable and it really is quite good as a little utility vehicle. I have an 8 year old so that has been useful in that way, but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the WRX. A lot.

Very well stated. We all know our Fits are a compromise to endure the current economics conditions. And the Fit is the best compromise there is for a daily driver.

Last edited by mahout; 09-17-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
I think that's a little high on the price. I just paid $13,500 for an '09 Sport. Private sale, with new tires, second set of rims with mounted studded snows, and the 100,000 extended warranty. Since you are dealing with a dealer, I'd try to negotiate them down more. A friend of mine just bought an '09 Sport from a dealer for $12,600 (he knows someone at the dealership, and the dealer told him they gave the previous owner $12,100 for it on trade). So, the dealer is making money on that '08 at 14.5K, even though it is probably dealer certified. IMO

Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Market Conditions notwithstanding, yes, used car prices are "jacked up" by dealerships. I read that many dealers make more money off used car sales than new car sales.

You should be able to negotiate the asking price down. Be firm with the dealer, and don't be afraid to walk away (make sure they have yor phone number tho')

Old 09-17-2011, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
I got my Fit from a dealership for about 1-2k less than any private seller

Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
and I have some knee and ankle joint issues which become a bigger deal at 30k miles a year.
The Fit is not by any means the most comfy car to drive. Many posters here including myself find the driving position/seats a bit awkward and not comfy for distance driving. And not very quiet either

Finally, do you guys have any other recomendations? I need something reliable, fuel-efficent, but fun to drive (I *am* coming from a VW R32!). Any other suggestions?
Is it a good deal? You should do your own due diligence of price comparison. Check the market price ranges around. As an engineer I'm sure you've done your share of research and analysis. Some sites are KellyBB, Cars(dot)com, Vehix(dot)com. Then look around your local area.

Is it a good deal? To me good deal is when satisfaction and expectation meet at a happy medium. The price you pay and your budget are sidebars depending on how you prioritize your purchase.

Reliability? Honda's track record is up there so that in itself should count for something. The other half is how much we take care of our cars, driving habits, etc... You know that.

Here's a link to an article I posted earlier that you might find of interest: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ml#post1033210
I'm satisfied with my Fit. Quite versatile and fun to drive. In comparing with your R32, well don't. I have a WRX, and they're both fun to drive in their own ways...
Short answer, you could go lower (price)... Good luck!

Last edited by Subie; 09-17-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
14.5 is a bit steep...

if you can get them down to around 12k you'll be in a much better situation...

Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
I paid 11,5k for my 07 sport with 44k miles about 1 1/2 years ago. I drive about 36k miles a year and I'm getting 36 mpg. As for reliability I put 289k on my civic with no major problems.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I paid $12500 for my 07 sport with only 22k last year. Coming from owning a VW, I haven't looked back.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
That price is very high, I bought my '08 Fit Sport A/T with 44,xxx and walked out the door for $12,750. That is after tax, title and new tag fee. I'd try to talk them down or keep looking, I had to drive 2 hours to pick up my car but by driving two hours I saved 2 grand.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:34 PM
I bought my 08 Sport from a close friend and Manager at a Honda dealership and paid $12K for it with 52K miles on it. It did have $2K+ in tasteful mods and looked like new though.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 PM
I went to the dealership today to test the Fit. They weren't willing to budge on the price much. When they were putting the numbers into the computer at first they said the price of the Fit was $14,9xx (tho their ad said $14,5xx!!). They came down to $13.9k on the Fit, which I felt was too high considering they've had the car for 2-3 weeks unsold.

Worse, was their offer for my trade-in was insultingly low ($9500), and they didn't come up much either.

After going back and forth a few times, I told them "no thanks", voiced my displeasure at the price games, and said "no thanks".

That being said, I really loved how it drove, and will keep my eye out for another Sport. I drove it on the highway, and was actually impressed. Not as loud as I thought it would be. Of course slower than the R32, but still a decent highway car.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Best thing I can say is get an average value from all the used car pricing sites (kbb.com etc), get a carfax, and see if the seller will haggle. I got my 07 Sport 5 sp man with 17k miles for $12.9K a year and a half ago from a Syracuse new car dealer. I agree with everyone's assessment of the Fit but I'd like to add go for the manual if possible, you'll get a tiny bit more performance from the tiny engine.

Last edited by john380; 10-01-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Good deal or not: '08 Fit Sport w/ 44k miles for $14.5k