Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Can 07 Base use 155/80/13 (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/68711-can-07-base-use-155-80-13-a.html)

helphelp911 11-18-2011 04:54 PM

Can 07 Base use 155/80/13

can 07 base (stock 175/65/14) use 155/80/13

is that size good for winter driving???

is it a good idea to replace it even for summer driving ??

Thanks

dustinb 11-18-2011 10:56 PM

The wheel won't clear the front brake caliper.

creasechan 11-18-2011 11:22 PM

why would you go smaller?

helphelp911 11-19-2011 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by dustinb (Post 1051165)
The wheel won't clear the front brake caliper.

Oh..so it won't fit ????

helphelp911 11-19-2011 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by creasechan (Post 1051173)
why would you go smaller?

i heard people said downsize is good for snow tire... easier to cut through snow..

Jodele 11-19-2011 06:09 AM

I live in Cincinnati…I’ve used Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi in the OEM size of 195/55R15 on my ‘07 Sport for winter driving. They were great tires. This will be my 4th season with them. I don’t think that people are correct in saying that you need tall, skinny tires for the winter, so I’ve bought a set of 205/50R16 Michelin X-Ice 2 tires to replace them next year. This year, I wanted to compare the sizes back to back. Not quite scientific, because I’ve got a completely different tire. Oh, well…we’ll see who is right…me or the rest of the world. I think the larger, wider tire will perform much better.

craigquakertown 11-19-2011 06:30 AM

I was in upstate ny last year and it snowed everyday only got stuck a couple of times but because of ice with stock fit sport tires

Perrenoud Fit 11-19-2011 08:03 AM

if the 13's (offset) fit you will get better mpg for few of reasons: smaller contact patch on the road= less rolling resistance, lighter mass weight and smaller circumference rotates faster so in city driving this would be a +, hiway a negative, and easier to turn 'em over :D that could be a + or a - depends. If you have them already tell us what you find out.
Big Mike :D

dustinb 11-19-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit (Post 1051239)
if the 13's (offset) fit you will get better mpg for few of reasons: smaller contact patch on the road= less rolling resistance, lighter mass weight and smaller circumference rotates faster so in city driving this would be a +, hiway a negative, and easier to turn 'em over :D that could be a + or a - depends. If you have them already tell us what you find out.

He's talking about a 13" sized wheel, not a wheel with 13 offset. 13" definitely will not fit over the front brake caliper. 14" barely does.

Jodele 11-19-2011 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit (Post 1051239)

You are so naive! Where did you get your engineering degree from…it’s not worth the paper it’s written on. Send it back.

The only reason why you might think you are getting better gas mileage is because your odometer is spinning a lot faster. Your value of your car will go down also…because you have more miles on it than it actually has. Why do you think that car manufactures always set their speedometers/odometers on the high side? 1. The warranty runs out faster. 2. You think you have better performance (mileage and speed) 3. You don’t get speeding tickets. You will never get a new car with an odometer/speedometer that reads low. It will always be from 2% to 5% high, because that is all that the manufacturers can get away with. You are stupid if you think you get better gas mileage if you put on smaller wheels/tires.

Contact patch will be roughly the same size…contact patch depends on air pressure more than anything else…so, bad assumption.

Texas Coyote 11-20-2011 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jodele (Post 1051441)
You are so naive! Where did you get your engineering degree from…it’s not worth the paper it’s written on. Send it back.

The only reason why you might think you are getting better gas mileage is because your odometer is spinning a lot faster. Your value of your car will go down also…because you have more miles on it than it actually has. Why do you think that car manufactures always set their speedometers/odometers on the high side? 1. The warranty runs out faster. 2. You think you have better performance (mileage and speed) 3. You don’t get speeding tickets. You will never get a new car with an odometer/speedometer that reads low. I will always be from 2% to 5% high, because that is all that the manufacturers can get away with. You are stupid if you think you get better gas mileage if you put on smaller wheels/tires.

He said it would be a + in city driving and a negative on the highway... On a car with power output and weight of a Fit the final drive reduction from using smaller diameter tires and wheels as well as the reduction of rotating mass combined with what Mike mentioned would improve fuel mileage in heavy city traffic.... It just wouldn't be evident by the odometer reading. Large diameter tires only make sense if you have brakes that are intended for use on a race track and the weight and rolling resistance of wider tires require larger brakes to slow down... On a Fit large heavy wheels and wide tires is nothing more than a styling gimmick that will screw your car all up by overloading the suspension, steering components, clutch, brakes, motor mounts and drive train components... Read up on Alex Moulton and his theories about and application of small wheels on the original Austin Mini and record setting bicycles that cost more than a Fit for the top of the line hand built models. :wavey:

Wanderer. 11-20-2011 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jodele (Post 1051441)

You are stupid if you think you get better gas mileage if you put on smaller wheels/tires.

WTF? This attack is stupid, as the results of smaller wheels in regards to gas mileage are totally dependant on the type of driving being done. Your odometer will be off, yes, but gas mileage depends on so many other factors (throttle input mainly).

To the OP, 155/whatever/13 tires are grossly undersized... I think that was the stock tire size on the 1985 Ford Festiva, and also good for trailer tires. Also not sure if it will clear the brakes. If you're looking for cheap replacement wheels for winter i'd stick with 14 or 15" 4x100 OEM offerings from Honda, which i'm sure can be found for cheap on Craigslist.

Jodele 11-20-2011 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote (Post 1051462)
He said it would be a + in city driving and a negative on the highway... On a car with power output and weight of a Fit the final drive reduction from using smaller diameter tires and wheels as well as the reduction of rotating mass combined with what Mike mentioned would improve fuel mileage in heavy city traffic.... It just wouldn't be evident by the odometer reading. Large diameter tires only make sense if you have brakes that are intended for use on a race track and the weight and rolling resistance of wider tires require larger brakes to slow down... On a Fit large heavy wheels and wide tires is nothing more than a styling gimmick that will screw your car all up by overloading the suspension, steering components, clutch, brakes, motor mounts and drive train components... Read up on Alex Moulton and his theories about and application of small wheels on the original Austin Mini and record setting bicycles that cost more than a Fit for the top of the line hand built models. :wavey:

The reason why all vehicles (including bicycles) don’t have small wheels is because you lose too much in other areas. Engineering is an exercise in design compromises.

Jodele 11-20-2011 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wanderer. (Post 1051480)
..., but gas mileage depends on so many other factors (throttle input mainly).

Yes, but we are talking about wheel diameter here, and that is why the same person, in the same car, driving the same way will think that he is getting better gas mileage with smaller wheels...not taking into account the actual distance traveled and not the odometer distance.

Texas Coyote 11-20-2011 09:51 AM

The worlds fastest conventional bicycle is an Alex Moulton equipped with 18" wheels and tires... The reason racing bicycles have 700 mm wheel rims and tires are due to UCI rules that have stifled development of bikes in order that racers are evenly matched on bikes of similar design... There is only one drawback to using tires of extremely small diameter that I can see and that is the higher revolutions at highway speeds causes them to wear out more quickly than tires that cover a larger distance with the same amount of rotations... It isn't a big problem for a car that is light in weight and equipped with a compliant suspension.. I am a former member of the International "Human Powered Vehicle Association" and have built and sold custom built spoke wheels for all kinds of bikes and motorcycles as well as a person that has commuted and taken trips on scooters with wheels as small as 10" in diameter. I have more experience than most people about this topic.... You have to realize that racing bicycles at one time had front wheels that were huge in diameter as a way of increasing the distance traveled per crank rotation and were dangerous to ride.. Modern bikes are based on a design referred to as "safety bicycle" and the the gearing is still measured in inches traveled per rotation of the crank arms.. I may be mistaken but I believe I read that the first Fits were equipped with 13" wheels... At the time that it was first announced that we would have the Fit available here in the U.S. there was a number of people that were upset with the reduced ground clearance created by body cladding and also the use of larger than needed wheels and tires.. That was just over 6 years ago and the car had been in production for that long at the time.

Jodele 11-20-2011 11:19 AM

That the wheel has to make more revolutions to travel the same distance is one problem…a small one at that. The added friction in the bearings is minimal but still a negative. The smaller wheel has less rubber (a weight savings for you) and therefore less material to wear out. A bigger problem is the wear due to the increased friction from crushing the tire. A smaller wheel has a larger arc contacting the road and therefore heating the tread and wearing the tire out. That wear also increases the frictional drag that reduces your gas mileage and increasing the amount of work you’ve got to do. Yes, the added torque of the smaller diameter counteracts this…but I’ll bet not all of it. On a motorcycle or a bicycle, I don’t give a $hit, because you’ve got 60-psi in the tire. Even though we are talking about a Honda, this is not a motorcycle; it’s a car, completely different dynamics and therefore loading. With smaller wheels, you will beat me in a ¼ mile drag race, but I will outperform you everywhere else.

debudebu 11-22-2011 01:15 AM

i run 175/65/14 winter tires on my 07 fit sport. this is what tirerack recommends. i believe that narrower tires grip the snow better since there is more weight per area in contact with the ground. the size is just a bit smaller than the 195/55/15 that i run in the summer.

Texas Coyote 11-22-2011 01:17 AM

I don't need to use smaller wheels and tires than you do to beat you in a drag race or use larger wheels than you and run a higher top end speed.... You talk about engineering but haven't considered that a taller wheel requires a great deal more material to have as much rigidity and strength as a smaller wheel, the brakes have to be much larger and heavier in weight to overcome the greater weight before it can start to slow down the vehicle. The unsprung weight and rotating mass is going to require heavier suspension and steering components, all which are things that add up to counter any performance gains from using taller wheels and tires except for top speed on a long steep hill. We are talking about a 5 door Japanese hatchback with a 1.5 liter engine, not a 1 ton crewcab with a 6+ liter turbo diesel.

Fit4Trav 11-22-2011 01:28 AM

So the OP's original question was will a 13" wheel/tire combo fit.

The answer the OP is looking for is no a 13" wheel will not fit as it does not clear the front brake caliper.

End Thread!

Texas Coyote 11-22-2011 02:15 AM

Yeah... I know your right about the question from the OP... Out of curiosity, have you ever attempted to put a 13" wheel on a front wheel of a Fit?? I am pretty sure I read that the original Fit city cars were equipped with 13" wheels.... I have some early 80s wheels I used on a VW Rabbit stashed in a building on my place and I am tempted to see if they would fit but if you are positive about them not fitting I won't bother to look for them...