Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Water in the spare tire well (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/69832-water-spare-tire-well.html)

Fit FX 01-26-2012 12:03 AM

Water in the spare tire well

Just bought the car a couple of weeks ago, and recently discovered a small pool of water in the spare tire wheel well. It's hard to tell where it's coming from but i suspect it's coming from this vent near the back. Anyways, i searched, and have found similar complaints, but no specific fix for the rear hatch. Any input would be appreciated.

solbrothers 01-26-2012 12:06 AM

This is news to me!

Fit FX 01-26-2012 12:11 AM

Yeah, when i bought the car i noticed alittle moisture on the windows inside, but i figured it was because the guy just got it detailed and maybe had the seats cleaned. Anyways, cleaned the water out of the back, and after heavy rains today, there are signs of it coming back.

einstein77 01-26-2012 09:47 AM

Check your seals on the back hatch. See if they are cracked, misaligned, compressed irregularly, brittle. There are not too many places a rain can get into the back other than the seal. If they are not lubricated as recommended they can get hard and fail to seal properly.

Fit FX 01-26-2012 11:16 PM

I called Honda today, and they first claimed that they don't cover leaks under warranty, then they claimed it will take a minimum of 2, possibly 5 hours to diagnose and fix at 120.00 per hour!:mad:

einstein77 01-27-2012 09:31 AM

Why don't you diagnose it yourself? Have someone sit in the back area while you stream water from a hose over the seals and gaps. The person inside can determine where the water is coming in. A hose can replicate many hours of rain.

Jazz_Pinkz 01-27-2012 09:34 AM

you can fix it yourself.. ^^ i did it my own..

spare some free time and do the check and just seal it, using a sealant, if you in budget you can use an aquarium sealant it would be just fine like mine, i have this problem too, and seal it myself since 3 years ago, and no leaks happen after that, and yes i'm in budget so using a cheap aquarium sealant ^^

Jazz_Pinkz 01-27-2012 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by einstein77 (Post 1068252)
Why don't you diagnose it yourself? Have someone sit in the back area while you stream water from a hose over the seals and gaps. The person inside can determine where the water is coming in. A hose can replicate many hours of rain.

agree.. ^^ i did exactly like what you write..

einstein77 01-27-2012 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jazz_Pinkz (Post 1068253)
you can fix it yourself.. ^^ i did it my own..

using a cheap aquarium sealant ^^

How did you use the sealant? Did you apply it to the area and put some waxpaper or something on it, close the hatch and let it dry? In other words, how did you replicate the contour?

Fit FX 01-27-2012 04:31 PM

Hmmmm, good suggestions. Failing a last-ditch effort to hold Honda to the warranty, I will give the hose test / aquarium sealant a try.

Jazz_Pinkz 01-28-2012 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by einstein77 (Post 1068259)
How did you use the sealant? Did you apply it to the area and put some waxpaper or something on it, close the hatch and let it dry? In other words, how did you replicate the contour?

I put the sealant on my finger, you can use gloves if you don't want to make you finger dirty... and just follow the contour.. leave you bumper and hatch open for 1 or 2 hours and finish...

einstein77 01-28-2012 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jazz_Pinkz (Post 1068572)
I put the sealant on my finger, you can use gloves if you don't want to make you finger dirty... and just follow the contour.. leave you bumper and hatch open for 1 or 2 hours and finish...

That's great that it works so easily.

Jazz_Pinkz 01-28-2012 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by einstein77 (Post 1068573)
That's great that it works so easily.

Yupz.. so simple in fact.. hehehe.. but remeber you must clean your body and sand it a bit using just a fine sand paper so the sealant will stick to the body firmly, but the good thing from the aquarium sealant is, if you want to repair it with a better sealant you can rip it of.. hehehe... :D

mahout 01-29-2012 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by einstein77 (Post 1068252)

Also spray the underside as the moisture can be coming from there as well.
And coat the seals with a good grease/wax to see if that helps. Some dry seals just fail to conform and checking for gaps in the sealing surface imprints will locate a leak zone.
Don't dicount condensation if you have high humidity and cool nights.