1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

How long did your stock clutch last??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 PM
anybody knows how many hours or maybe days they usually fix the tranny?..coz i only got 1 car right now..

Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Update on clutch

Well, got my Fit back on Thursday and I was right about the clutch symptoms. The compression springs on the clutch disk themselves seem to have compressed and stayed that way.

Seems like the 3 of the springs were not retaining in the disk. Well, the clutch disk seemed like it could have went for another 20 or 30k, but glad it got changed out either way.

Exedy clutch seems to be slightly stiffer but still drives great.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM
my clutch is still going strong 110k... survived a few bumps and bruises and even a engine change. knock on wood it looks like it will outsurvive my tranny too I have been having problems keeping the car in 5th gear. Lately it hasnt been popping into neutral but from a long road trip on I95 i had to drive 55mph in 4th just to make it back to florida..... by the way I am the BIGTYMER8700 admins if you see this activate my old account back!!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Blue-Civic-Hybrid
Well, got my Fit back on Thursday and I was right about the clutch symptoms. The compression springs on the clutch disk themselves seem to have compressed and stayed that way.

Seems like the 3 of the springs were not retaining in the disk. Well, the clutch disk seemed like it could have went for another 20 or 30k, but glad it got changed out either way.

Exedy clutch seems to be slightly stiffer but still drives great.
That sounds like what happen to my inlaws corvette.... he never took it in for service when he noticed the clutch wasn't coming all the way back out and one day it just decided not to come back out after trying to shift. went from small bill to lots of $$ spent

Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m4sterch3f
That sounds like what happen to my inlaws corvette.... he never took it in for service when he noticed the clutch wasn't coming all the way back out and one day it just decided not to come back out after trying to shift. went from small bill to lots of $$ spent

Well, this clutch worked great all the time except for one day, it just stopped. I took it to a local mechanic the next day by shifting into 3rd and 5th only. None of those symptoms you mentioned manifested themselves in my car.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Hi all, I just joined this forum to look for some info on my clutch problems. Looks like I'm having almost exact same problem with my 08 MT Fit! I've only got 56k miles on it and all of a sudden the shifts became very difficult. Hard to put into any gear, especially 1st and Reverse. Also the clutch petal was soft and not really disengaging until you got it down to the floor. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the clutch master and slave cylinders leaking so charged me $650 to replace them but the symptoms were exactly the same after. Ok, now your clutch is bad, sir and that'll be another $1700 to replace that. No Way! I talked to the tech and he explained that basically the slave cylinder was so bad that it wasn't moving full travel and therefore the clutch wasn't completely disengaging. I drove it home and it's certainly slipping if I get it above about 3500rpm in any gear. Now I'll look for a local shop to install a new clutch. Blue-Civic-Hybrid, did you go with the OEM spec Exedy clutch or did you go with a Stage 1 or other?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 PM
i've always had trouble with 1st in mine but i think it's just cuz it's such a short gear. i can never seem to catch it at exactly the right time/rpm, kind of annoying. i feel like it's gonna burn out around 100k or so even though the rest of my shifts are spot on.

meanwhile, my '95 civic... 165k on the original clutch. no issues whatsoever and i never dc. both slave and master cylinders have been replaced tho.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_Family_Hauler
Hi all, I just joined this forum to look for some info on my clutch problems. Looks like I'm having almost exact same problem with my 08 MT Fit! I've only got 56k miles on it and all of a sudden the shifts became very difficult. Hard to put into any gear, especially 1st and Reverse. Also the clutch petal was soft and not really disengaging until you got it down to the floor. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the clutch master and slave cylinders leaking so charged me $650 to replace them but the symptoms were exactly the same after. Ok, now your clutch is bad, sir and that'll be another $1700 to replace that. No Way! I talked to the tech and he explained that basically the slave cylinder was so bad that it wasn't moving full travel and therefore the clutch wasn't completely disengaging. I drove it home and it's certainly slipping if I get it above about 3500rpm in any gear. Now I'll look for a local shop to install a new clutch. Blue-Civic-Hybrid, did you go with the OEM spec Exedy clutch or did you go with a Stage 1 or other?
Family Hauler, I went with the OEM spec Exedy clutch like I stated multiple times in my posts prior.

I have not replaced any of my hydraulic clutch or slave cylinders like you have but be sure to shop around for labor costs since the dealerships want so much.

56,000 miles seems too soon to replace a clutch...

Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blue-Civic-Hybrid
56,000 miles seems too soon to replace a clutch...
Yup, under normal use of course. However clutch life (in general) is a matter of how it's used more so than mileage. The driving habits/tendencies of the primary driver is a big factor. On my other car (Subaru), I still have the original clutch and going on 129k now. Just me.

Last edited by Subie; 04-13-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 PM
yea it's going to rely heavily on the driver, which of course holds true for any car. the fit, and most hondas for that matter, require pretty minimal effort to shift/clutch.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Just traded in my 2008 Fit for a 2013 Fit.
The 08 had 119,000 on it, with no signs of the clutch going bad.
Had a 1996 Civic before that, which had over 200,000 on it before the clutch was changed.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks Blue, and sorry, I saw that you used the Exedy brand but didn't see that you mentioned you went with the OEM spec. I just ordered the OEM spec Exedy on Amazon for $135. It should arrive on Tuesday. Time to start shopping for a local shop. I agree, 56k seems low. I'm pretty sure the contaminated and failing master/slave cylinders were the contributing factors in my clutch failure.

Rob
08 Fit Sport 5M
08 Cadillac SRX AWD
75 Ford Bronco

Old 04-14-2013, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
42K miles lol. FULL-RETARD Ryceb0i shifting will do that. But it's the soonest any MT car I've driven has worn out, glad I'm not the only one who's experienced premature clutch death.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Import Al
42K miles lol. FULL-RETARD Ryceb0i shifting will do that.
Yup, yup, yup! That would do it.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Or having your wife revving it all the time! I'm not saying my girl does that...but she does...heheh

Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 PM
80k on mine and still plenty of clutch life left.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
I had the same spinning noise when in neutral with the clutch out at about 95,000 miles, turned out the mainshaft bearing was going out. The bearing was only about $60, but because the trans shop has to drop the trans out the bottom and inspect everything, it was over $900 w/ labor. At that time he checked my clutch and said it wasn't even 50% worn, so back in it went. Almost at 120k miles now

Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JdmMac
80k on mine and still plenty of clutch life left.
Really? How can you tell? Have you opened up your tranny and looked at the disc? I call shenaneghans on you and I see you are just trying to boost your post count.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
173k on same clutch

Last edited by buttersandpaper; 04-23-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by buttersandpaper
173k on same clutch
Wow, that is pretty damn awesome!

By the way, I see you have the Mugen header, I haven't put mine on yet, did you notice any bump in power at all?

Quick Reply: How long did your stock clutch last??