Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   engine stutter at stops (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/86899-engine-stutter-stops.html)

andeano 12-22-2014 09:50 AM

engine stutter at stops

I have a 2007 Fit Sport automatic. I'm having engine stuttering issues while I am in gear and sitting at stop lights. I've read a little bit about similar issues with other cars. Plugs and coils? Or do you think it's a different issue? Thanks.

andeano 12-22-2014 01:00 PM

The dealer just called back and said I needed to replace all 4 coil packs. Is that something that's easily done by me? I'm not that mechanically inclined, but have done some minor things on cars in the past (e.g., brakes, new alternator, spark plugs).

doctor J 12-22-2014 01:01 PM

Misfire or vibration? Does tach needle jumps as it happens or it is only the steering wheel vibrates under certain rpms? does shaking go away as you are getting easy on brakes (car starts creep forward?)

andeano 12-22-2014 01:04 PM

I thought it was a misfire, but wasn't getting any codes. The needle dips a bit when it shudders. The shaking doesn't really go away until I get above 1500-2000 rpms

doctor J 12-22-2014 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by andeano (Post 1283558)
I thought it was a misfire, but wasn't getting any codes. The needle dips a bit when it shudders. The shaking doesn't really go away until I get above 1500-2000 rpms

if needle jumps while engine jerks the ignition system (coils most likely not working right)
However, if possible use OBD-2 scanner that supports code $6 reading (misfire) and check if some misfires are stored for Cylinder 1 trough 4
This job is fairly easy to do.
The coil mounting screws will be tight so,
Use 3/8 drive, 10 mm 6 point socket only!!
The coil mounting screw are installed into a trough hole; it may be a good idea to spray penetrating oil into each hole (from the bottom) on warm (40 degrees C) engine.
Remove the screws when engine is between 20 degrees and 5 degrees C.
inspect spark plug wells after removal of the coils; use vacuum cleaner to remove any debris.

andeano 12-22-2014 03:07 PM

Thanks doctor J,
Do you know anything about the brand Replacement when it comes to new coil packs? I found a set of 4 for cheap, $127 total. Link below.

Replacement REPH504619-4-PLK Ignition Coil | Auto Parts Warehouse

It's cheap, which really matters, but I know cheaper is not always better. Do you recommend another brand?

doctor J 12-22-2014 05:46 PM

I have had a very good experience with Beck-Arnley electrical parts.

andeano 12-22-2014 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by doctor J (Post 1283617)
I have had a very good experience with Beck-Arnley electrical parts.

I ended up buying the cheap set I linked above. With a 1 year warranty I couldn't pass on them. If I have to do it again in a year I guess I will have learned my lesson. I saw another post about using washers on new spark plugs. Is that necessary?

mxl180 12-22-2014 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by andeano (Post 1283618)
I ended up buying the cheap set I linked above. With a 1 year warranty I couldn't pass on them. If I have to do it again in a year I guess I will have learned my lesson. I saw another post about using washers on new spark plugs. Is that necessary?

i got these.

New spark plugs comes with washers.

andeano 02-26-2015 04:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I forgot to post the update. I did replace all 4 coil packs and 4 new spark plugs (probably not necessary, but for $5 why not). The stutter problem stopped and I haven't had an issue since.