1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Sloppy Seconds

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Sloppy Seconds

This is it, I have a Fit to keep and play with! It's another one-owner '08 SSM 5MT Sport (yes, I bought THE SAME car again), but with 136k miles that's pretty stock and in surprisingly good condition. The goal for this one is to have a practical daily that I can throw the mountain bikes in the back of and rack up the miles on, yet can still have fun on track and embarrass/surprise some cars may times more expensive. The PO installed a new clutch and plugs around 100k and there's a K&N filter in the airbox, not much else. I however, have some fun in store for the GD and the photo below is a small sample of what has arrived in the mail since I bought the car last Friday. There's lots more on the way, starting with suspension and brakes first, and I'll update this as it all happens, but for now, NEW PARTS ARE HERE!!!

Last edited by idrivemyself; 03-29-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
I like your attitude, sir. Two is always better than one.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Oh no, I only have one Fit at the moment, but this is my second GD Fit. Albeit with an identical factory build sheet.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
I like that beefy DC front bar. You might want to acquire a Progress rear anti-sway bar as well.

Where did you purchase the skid plate? And is that specific to our GD's?

Old 04-01-2017, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre
I like that beefy DC front bar. You might want to acquire a Progress rear anti-sway bar as well.

Where did you purchase the skid plate? And is that specific to our GD's?
A Progress RSB is one of the things still in the mail.

I picked up the last Beatrush under panel available through Kami Speed. This one is specific to the GD but I imagine they made others for the GE, GK, and every other Honda under the sun.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Nice start! I've always wanted that DC brace but never bought one since I knew I was going to S/C my GD.

I hope Hondata Flash Pro, 1 step colder plugs, and at least a header/axle back combo is also on the list.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! I haven't installed it yet but its the only bar that doesn't use joints, so it was the only bar that I would justify buying. Which blower are you going with that could interfere?? I've only seen the lower mounted Rotex....

Hondata and an exhaust are in the plan, but only after the K20 goes in.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Doesn't matter which Rotrex unit on the GD since I believe you're going to hit the brace with the KW intercooler due to cowl air duct and its tubing. With a front mount or non-intercooled 5lb kit you might be ok though since nothing goes that high against the firewall or cowl.

It will be a close fit with the intake tube for the S/C though.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like all the more reason to run the front mount to me. Better cooling, better suspension, win-win!

(Btw, the DC bar is on
Amazon Prime Amazon Prime
)

Last edited by idrivemyself; 04-03-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
More fun stuff arrived in the post today and I got in a greatly overdue headlight buffing earlier this evening. I'm hoping to have a big install day later this week and remove the growing pile of parts from the living room. The girlfriend is starting to give it the stink eye. I think it really ties the room together...

Old 04-05-2017, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Again, more stuffs. But we're making Progress now. (Get it? )

The plan with the Morimoto 2-stroke LEDs is to wire up one LED per bulb on a 5v switch to act as a DRL in the fog light socket. Not sure if it'll work as effectively as I hope, but with the batshit crazy drivers here in Florida it can't hurt to try. If nothing else, I'll have some really bright fogs... I am wanting to find an OEM fog light push-button switch to mount in the coin holder spot, any ideas?

Old 04-07-2017, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
MY 08 fit, with 130 thousand , has survived two mind attacks to replacing it with a Honda Element, but my fit just keeps it's value to me, I've always wanted to change up the suspension, with a sway bar or something, I have only changed the oil, the rims to 2011 sport rims from another fit, bought on this site, and put a loud muffler on it to scare the deer away, I'm losing confidence in my cars ability to handle corners at what I consider high speed, 50 to 60mph. Looking forward to your work and observations. thanks and best Luck to You.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Nice, I'm interested in how you mount that bottom skid plate. Mind sharing when you get to it?

Old 04-07-2017, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I absolutely will be updating things as they happen, ended up not having as much time this week as I hoped so nothing has been installed yet. The plans are to, at least, get the skid plate, RSB and fog lights installed this weekend. Maybe even hardwire my V1 and put in the strut brace. Doubt I'll have time to get everything done though. It'll happen eventually!

*I had a brainfart and forgot to order new shock mounts when I picked up the coilovers, so those got ordered today and that'll all happen after they arrive next week.

Last edited by idrivemyself; 04-07-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
I got the lower brace and under panel installed today. Wanted to do the strut brace as well but after closer inspection came to the decision that it would be best to wait until the coilovers are going on, getting up inside the strut tower is a bit tight. Originally I was kinda torn on the Beatrush under panel. Should I buy it, should I make one (cost would be ~$40 & I have the tools), yes, no, yes, no, yes... I'm glad that I bought it. Installation was pretty easy, took 45 min since I was fidgeting getting it right, and there's plenty of clearance for the subframe and lower brace - something I was concerned about since it bends down. Plus the included mounting hardware is pretty clever and would have taken a while to make as well. So the ~$220 aluminum sheet wasn't a bad buy after all. The butt and hands say that it was a good purchase too, cruising at 60-70 is more stable, which is where I do most of my driving. I'm intrigued to see if/what the fuel savings are as well. The subframe brace hasn't really been noticed yet, but I haven't pushed the car yet, and I doubt that it really will be noticed until the subframe collars are installed or if I play around with R-comps before then. But for now I'll subscribe to the placebo and say that it's a nice addition to the 135k mile stock suspension and all-season tires. Plus it's powder coated red, and it's shiny.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info mannn, I was on edge of getting the underpanel too. Did you have to drill holes or modify anything or basically it looks bolt on plug and play from your pics?

Looks so clean

Old 04-09-2017, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! Just get it. Idk what the other people who have it and had problems were complaining about, mine was plug and play. You just have to be able to envision where the parts all go, or be able to read Japanese. I did the former.

*I will be drilling on to it and adding/modding the side splash panels from the original panel. But if you're fine with the panel as-is then it doesn't matter.

Last edited by idrivemyself; 04-09-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Since you are a former GD owner, which of these upgrades do you feel has provided you the most improvement? My biggest issue with my 08 MT Fit is poor handling during cross breezes on the highway. I've considered lowering it, but I'm not sure it is worth the cost (I just drive slower instead).

Are you planning on installing a camber kit after you install the coilovers to mitigate the uneven tire wear? Or is an alignment enough?

Last edited by teshdor; 04-10-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
A former owner? When did I stop being a current one? Did you steal my GD?!

Since I don't have everything installed yet, I don't feel that I can completely comment with the accuracy that I imagine you're seeking. Get back to me in a few weeks, I should have all of the suspension parts installed and have an answer then. In the interim, the Beatrush under panel has been the most noticeable addition thus far.

I will be picking up a set of camber bolts for occasional use but I won't be dropping my Fit to the floor. One of the reasons that I went with the Ksport coils is that I can keep them "high" and should be able to retain close to stock ride height and proper (functional) suspension geometry. My goal is to tighten up the car without giving away the fact that it's modified.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by idrivemyself
One of the reasons that I went with the Ksport coils is that I can keep them "high" and should be able to retain close to stock ride height and proper (functional) suspension geometry. My goal is to tighten up the car without giving away the fact that it's modified.
Nice! Great minds think alike.

While you're at it, rattle can some of the goods satin black. Once it dries and the car is driven a few times in the rain... no one could completely see what you're working with.

Last edited by Hootie; 04-10-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Sloppy Seconds