1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Dome Light | Seeking Info

Old 04-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Dome Light | Seeking Info

I've done my searches and my reading, yet here I am. Stumped.

Purchased the car last month. Dome light worked intermittently, then only sporadically when switching it on from the switch. I replaced the bulb and now it doesn't work at all.

From my searches, I've learned that the dome light is wired in through or at least connected to the audio unit as well as the keyless entry system. This raised two flags.

First, the original owner said that "some water" had spilled on the audio unit thus resulting in damage to the radio's screen. The radio still works, though some buttons are "sticky", operationally speaking. (I got a steal on the car, was willing to look past this).

Second, the driver side parking light does not flash when using the keyless entry (it illuminates as it should at all other times).

So... No dome light + radio water damage + keyless entry/parking light issue = ?

Sounds like it equals a flashlight to me, but I'd like to get it squared away.

I've checked the 10A fuse in slot 8 under the hood and it's fine.

My next steps are: test the dome light socket with a multimeter, take apart the dome light housing & switch (replace if necessary). Anyone care to suggest anything else?

As a side note, I'm about to have the radio swapped out for an aftermarket headunit (at Crutchfield), and am curious if this will have positive / negative ramifications?

Last edited by Globalksp; 04-03-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Both front park lights share the same power circuit along with the license, tails and side markers. Likely flaky bulb? Swap or replace bulb and recheck.
If seriously only one bulb out of 8 is affected you could get the voltmeter out to see which half of the circuit is missing at that bulb when it doesn't work, hot or ground, then you'd have a valid direction to go with the next checks.

Radio? Not related to dome lights on this car. Move along.

Dome light is flashlight simple but with one extra circuit.
One side of the bulb is fed constant 12v+ so check that, easy enough.
Stab at the other side of the bulb and see if you read 12v across the terminals. If so, bad bulb.

Other side of the bulb receives ground through the internal switch from either:
A) a control unit when commanded (doors opened, etc.), or
B) through one of the dome assembly mounting screws when the switch is in the ON position.

Is the bulb just garbage? (very likely LOL)
Are the screws tight? Is the two wire connector on the back plugged in? Damaged switch?

Old 04-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by ezone
Both front park lights share the same power circuit along with the license, tails and side markers. Likely flaky bulb? Swap or replace bulb and recheck.
If seriously only one bulb out of 8 is affected you could get the voltmeter out to see which half of the circuit is missing at that bulb when it doesn't work, hot or ground, then you'd have a valid direction to go with the next checks.

Radio? Not related to dome lights on this car. Move along.

Dome light is flashlight simple but with one extra circuit.
One side of the bulb is fed constant 12v+ so check that, easy enough.
Stab at the other side of the bulb and see if you read 12v across the terminals. If so, bad bulb.

Other side of the bulb receives ground through the internal switch from either:
A) a control unit when commanded (doors opened, etc.), or
B) through one of the dome assembly mounting screws when the switch is in the ON position.

Is the bulb just garbage? (very likely LOL)
Are the screws tight? Is the two wire connector on the back plugged in? Damaged switch?
Excellent! Thanks!