Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   How many times have you replaced coil packs? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/95601-how-many-times-have-you-replaced-coil-packs.html)

phoenity 04-07-2017 01:01 PM

How many times have you replaced coil packs?

I replaced all four coil packs with Hitachi around 70K due to an idle and at speed stutter.

And it seems as if on schedule at 148K I'm getting the same symptoms. Slight miss at idle and miss when cruising at a constant speed.

Problem is worse during wet weather which I remember from the last time I replaced them.

Should I just consider coil packs a regular maintenance item every 70K or so?
Has anyone had any better luck with other brand coil packs?

I performed a valve adjustment a couple weeks ago to confirm first that was not the problem. Valves were out of spec and performance is better, but miss is still there and getting worse.

doctor J 04-07-2017 05:44 PM

Aftermarket coils will fail sooner! Some will never be comparable to genuine Honda parts at beginning (inconsistent spark voltage). I saw newer packs (with vent hole) on the junkyard, they seem to have significant erosion around the high voltage terminal inside of the boot after about 6 years of use.

dwtaylorpdx 04-07-2017 08:41 PM

The fit plugs,coil packs and valve adjust, are the maintenance item IMHO, I have a suspicion that if people did the plugs and valve adjust at about 65K the coil packs might last a bit longer since with better combustion and ignition reliability usually coil packs run at lower current.

The biggest issue with the fit coils that I can see right now is the heat soak form the exhaust, the coil packs are right in-between the exhaust passage in the head. SO if you get it hot you bake the coils every time you shut it down.. Wonder if some kind of cold air intake for the coils would get rid of the problem.. My BMW coils are way higher output and have 185K on them..

Carbuff2 04-08-2017 08:12 AM

Our '07 Fit with 130K miles has needed coilpacks ONCE, at 120K.

Sean is Hungry 05-08-2017 06:52 PM

I changed my packs

but have only put 10k miles on them since then and no stutters
:ohnoes: I used aftermarket cheapies! $70 for the set of 4 hopefully im not f***ed

rwjd 05-10-2017 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sean is Hungry (Post 1371072)
but have only put 10k miles on them since then and no stutters
:ohnoes: I used aftermarket cheapies! $70 for the set of 4 hopefully im not f***ed

I will change my coil packs for the first time this month with the cheapest coil packs Rock Auto had. My car is an '07, with just over 100K km (60K miles) on it, but has been misfiring in idle for probably close to 8 months.

I figure, with the amount I drive (I have put less than half the kms on it in nearly 5 years of ownership) and the fact that it is off warranty, putting OEM parts in it provides minimal benefit for the money. If the aftermarket coils last half as long as the originals, I'll have 3-4 years of driving without issue with them.

Also, while the coil packs (Spectra Premium) were the cheapest at $31.24 CAD each, they also came with a lifetime guarantee, the terms of which seemed reasonable to me.

This post makes me think replacing the coil packs might be a partial fix, though, and I should also inspect the EGR ... Ugh. On the bright side, if my current coil packs are not broken, I may be able to refurbish them and reuse them in the future.

snail_power 05-11-2017 02:30 PM

I did mine around 125k miles and used honda oem. everything I read about the aftermarket coil packs was bad. Pricey but worth it to go OEM on those.

rwjd 05-12-2017 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by snail_power (Post 1371251)
I did mine around 125k miles and used honda oem. everything I read about the aftermarket coil packs was bad. Pricey but worth it to go OEM on those.

Yeah, I acknowledge the risk of failure. For my situation, it is a calculated risk to put those coil packs in my car. My situation isn't everyone else's, so some people will choose differently; for the people with a short commute and off-warranty car, I am willing to experiment on their behalf. :)

I will (if I remember) provide updated information on their performance when I've had them in for a while.

kistner 06-03-2017 01:35 AM

Mine went early, maybe about 50 or 60k, replaced with oem. Next set got about the same. Third set barely lasted a few months, cheapies off ebay. 4th set pushing 100k, I got them from amazon, I believe they were Beck Arnley brand.

dwtaylorpdx 06-04-2017 01:57 AM

So for just under 200 bucks you can get the Denso built OEM style from Rock auto..
Your at about 120 for the "cheap" ones.
Good coils last about 80K.
Cheap ones as little as 10K..
No doubt that some folks will get lucky, especially if you dont run long runs in hot weather..

FWIW I just had the head off my GD ,, and besides the EGR itself, the intake manifold has to come off to fully clean the EGR passages. There is a long thin groove in the head and manifold where the EGR actually feeds the gasses into the intake. You can see it in pics of the intake manifold to head gasket.

I still recommend a regular tune up and valve adjust, it DOES lower current at the plug gap when a motor is hitting proper compression and mixture. You can measure it with an ignition oscilloscope. ( yea the ones that cost north of 60 grand and can handle ignition voltage and have the correct analog calibration.. You'll see them in BIG dealer shops.. )

rwjd 06-05-2017 11:01 AM

I just did the coil pack replacement on the weekend, as well as replacing my battery with a 51R Group battery from Canadian Tire.

The coil packs seem to have done the job so far. I can accelerate without hesitation or an engine light checking. I can floor it to merge onto the highway and not have it skip a beat getting up to 100 km/h. In other words, acceleration is smooth and quick, which it wasn't before. And with the A/C running, there is no rough idle.

I noticed the coil pack on the first cylinder smelled like gas and had yellowing on the plastic cap that fits over the spark plug, while no other packs did. So I think, if that was the failed coil pack, that I'll have three others to replace the new aftermarket ones with, when they fail.

doctor J 06-05-2017 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by rwjd (Post 1373197)
I noticed the coil pack on the first cylinder smelled like gas and had yellowing on the plastic cap that fits over the spark plug, while no other packs did. So I think, if that was the failed coil pack, that I'll have three others to replace the new aftermarket ones with, when they fail.

This is rather a sign of leak around the spark plug threads (yellow boot end/ smell of gas). Old coils boots are changing color from red to pink to white

rwjd 06-06-2017 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by doctor J (Post 1373220)
This is rather a sign of leak around the spark plug threads (yellow boot end/ smell of gas). Old coils boots are changing color from red to pink to white

Thanks. Would that cause the misfiring? The engine is running smoothly now, so I'm still inclined to believe one of the coils needed replacing, at least.

I'm guessing this indicates a problem with the spark plug more than the coil, but is the fix as simple as tightening the plug? Or would replacing be better?

bargainguy 06-06-2017 05:31 PM

A plug that is not properly torqued can cause all sorts of problems. The yellowing might be due to fumes or burnt gas coming through the spark plug hole into the coilpack rather than being routed through the exhaust manifold. In my experience, the coilpack rubber tends to fade with ongoing use, which is not a surprise when you consider how hot those puppies get just in normal use, much less extended highway driving. Yellowing I've not seen, but it sounds conceivable given the circumstance.

The only coilpack I recommend is the OEM Hitachi, part number ends in 0053. All other brands have a rather short life expectancy - sometimes just months - and whatever you save in upfront cost will be offset by the fact that you'll be replacing them much more often, certainly more often than the OEMs are rated to (100k).

Now for my story. I replaced the plugs on my GD3 somewhere over 100K, maybe 110K if memory serves (this was a couple years ago). At that point, I also cleaned the coilpack contacts. I was at 147K when my GD3 gave its life for me. Someone ran a red light at high speed, T-boned me just ahead of the driver's side door, and I had no time to react or anywhere to go. Three airbags deployed, car a total loss, but I walked away from that with just a couple scrapes and contusions.

I was hoping to see how long those original coilpacks would last with a mid-cycle cleaning. Now I'll never know....

doctor J 06-07-2017 03:47 AM

Very small leak would not impact the performance. In my opinion the sealing washer on long time service plug tends to stick to its "saddle" on the cylinder head cause small pits upon removal in some cases. When this plug is re-installed the washer can't seal as good as before allowing minute gas leakage. This event may not be noticed if engine does not have spark plug wells (so the combustion leaks will vent easily). On Fit they are getting trapped in the spark plug well. The plug still can feel (and be) tight but check yours just in case

rwjd 12-14-2017 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by rwjd (Post 1373197)
The coil packs seem to have done the job so far. I can accelerate without hesitation or an engine light checking. I can floor it to merge onto the highway and not have it skip a beat getting up to 100 km/h. In other words, acceleration is smooth and quick, which it wasn't before. And with the A/C running, there is no rough idle.

I've been 6 months and more than 10k km without issue on these coil packs.

For reference, the Spectra coils I bought are now $29 CAD each, compared to Denso and Beck/Arnley at $67 +/- CAD each.

GAFIT 12-14-2017 04:39 PM

As stated above, I think that coil life may be related to plug change and valve adjustment intervals.

We have only replaced one coil and the other three are original. The one that failed is on our weak plug thread cylinder (#3). That one gets loose and soots the coil. The other 3 are original and performing like new still.

Plugs and valve adjustments have been done every 50,000 miles and we are now at 190k. About to do plugs and valves again.

doctor J 12-14-2017 05:25 PM

California heat is a major factor as well (very hot temperature under hood) causes rapid wear of plastic and rubber parts

User1 12-26-2017 07:09 PM

Original coils up to 190 miles

I got my Fit with 191k miles on it. The car was running good, but I didn't want problems down the road. I didn't get records with it either. The mechanic thinks the ones pulled were original coils. He had some trouble getting them out. As some of them snapped at removal.

I had him replace them with HITACHI IGC0053, $171 at RockAuto.

solbrothers 12-27-2017 02:22 PM

$171 for all 4?