Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   2007 FIT use qestions ... new owner (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/95705-2007-fit-use-qestions-new-owner.html)

mrbill47 04-21-2017 10:25 PM

2007 FIT use qestions ... new owner

Just bought a Red 2007 FIT Sport, 142,000 miles ... love the car, runs great, surely is different from my two previous Honda cars - a 360 coupe back in the '70s, and a disastrous '03 Accord clear coat pealing rust bucket that got 150 miles to the gallon (of OIL), before it lost oil pressure at 180,000 miles (a few months after I replaced the failed oil pump chain tensioner and related chain and timing chain (and water pump) - what fun that was!). Loved the car, hated the paint, rust, and engine!

but two questions ...

How sensitive should I be about revving the FIT engine above, say 5000 rpm ..... I've broken piston lands before, by revving engines that were driven mildly by previous owners (I have no idea of how hard previous owners drove the car), where the cylinders had developed ridges ... anyone know of such issues with FIT engines?

Secondly, Carfax shows regular services, but no mention of automatic transmission service or fluid change. I've seen recommendations on the forum to change nout 1 qt of Z-1 or DW-1 at each oil change for transmissions with previously unchanged ATF ... I know complete ATF changes late in life frequently cause transmission failures .... better to gradually introduce new ATF or leave it alone?

Carbuff2 04-22-2017 04:23 AM

If you are concerned about using high RPM, get it up to the high end gradually...say 4000 RPM for a week, 4500 RPM the next week, etc.

I can't tell you that I'm experienced with what you say...I always 'exercise' our engines (even the automatics in the family) because I believe that high RPMs also serve to clean injectors and intakes. :p

Regards the trans...if there are no issues presently, you probably won't hurt anything by draining and filling. It's the back-flushes that cause the most issues. I'd do two ATF drains now, then and additional one each engine oil change for a couple years. :thumbups:

JMHO of course.

idrivemyself 04-22-2017 10:19 AM

Just make sure the fluids are topped up, maintenance is current, let it warm up and then drive the piss out of it. Complete, used, low-mile L15A engines are cheap (~$250-600) in the off chance that something actually does go wrong.

mrbill47 04-22-2017 02:42 PM

Carbuff2 Thanks for sharing the wisdom ... I interpret my application from your comments to be something like if I drive it normally, I need not be afraid of accelerating to pass some one on the highway (we have a lot of two lanes in rural Illinois) with the pedal moderately mashed. I have not auto crossed for for years, and don't run the engines out with the paddle shifters like I did in those years. The Fit is not a 911s, an SHO or a BMW (but it surely is fun to drive!). As for the transmission, I appreciate the input, and will proceed to conservatively replenish the ATF. :-)

mrbill47 04-22-2017 02:50 PM

idrivemyself ... love your style, but I'm getting a little old (and poor) to be taking unnecessary chances with car engines, and I have an Accord sitting in the drive needing a new engine ... probably marginally worth the trouble from a $$ perspective, but the car is rusting, the clear coat is peeling, the radio is dead, and it needs tires and a battery ... I am having a hard time getting up the gumption to do an engine swap. But, the Fit is in almost like new condition, so it's nice to know Fit engines are less than half the price of Accord engines. :-)

Mister Coffee 04-22-2017 03:56 PM

I have owned an '08. I currently own a '13. I have always beaten the snot out of my Fits. It's too much fun not to. The '08 went to 100k miles, and there wasn't anything that I could do to break that engine (I tried, I really tried :) ), so I sold it. The '13 is, at present, headed towards 50K miles.

No matter what you do, cars don't last forever, so I like to enjoy them when they are young. :)

NOTE: I am also a guy who has been accused of senselessly changing out fluids too early, and warming up engines and gearboxes that "don't need warming up." :D

mrbill47 04-22-2017 09:24 PM

Mister Coffee ... I like your style, and would drive new cars if I could afford them. The Fit is definitely fun, but the Firestone Fuel Fighter tires that came on my car (and they are like new!) deaden the Fit's steering response ... I can imagine what fun it will be when they wear out and I put some good tires on!

idrivemyself 04-23-2017 10:59 AM

When the time comes, 205/50r15 tires fit on the stock Sport wheels. I recommend the Dunlop DZ102. :)

Or you always could pick up a second set. Especially since your '07 doesn't have TPMS to deal with.

Mister Coffee 04-23-2017 02:27 PM

@ mrbill47: With tires, you have to try around and see what you like. I have always thought Michelin made a nice, quality tire, but there may be others that are better for steering feel. I'd be curious to learn what tires work for you.

Speaking of tires, I just remembered something about my '08: It was a little uncertain in the wet. The '13 seems to hold its line better. Ten years ago, on the S2000, I was running Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, and they never let go. At least, not for the first 10k miles. :D

mrbill47 04-23-2017 04:56 PM

Mister Coffee ... I research tires a lot, before I commit ... Tire rack and Consumer Reports are two prime sources for reviews and tests that I use ... I tend to buy an optimum balance of performance and price in All Season tires (used winter tires back when I had to show up for work reliably, even on my A4) .. lately my sweet spot over the last 5 years has been General RT43s for snow traction and handling ,,, have them on my 02 Taurus, 99 A4, 92 525i, and 98 328i ... have been very happy with them as an all season compromise. Would have been my choice for the Fit, too. Even the Taurus can dodge pot holes with them ... I do run the pressure a couple pounds over OEM spec for crisper handling (and improved MPG), and I do enjoy feeling connected to the road more than seeking a smooth ride.

Mister Coffee 04-24-2017 12:06 PM

Bill, you sound like you know more about current tires than I do. I get bored with too much research, but I try to stay focused enough to make a decent decision. Generally speaking, I do not mind spending money on tires (and brakes). California tends to be dry and have good roads. When I lived in New England, I had an Rx-7, and I bought four (you heard me :) ) snow tires just to be on the safe side.