1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Haulin with Da Fit !

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Haulin with Da Fit !

Today I bought a new pit, and it fit in the Fit !!!
Took my son and I, 2 hours to put it together ( between his breaks ) and fired it up to burn off residual gunk.
Slapped on some seasoned pork steaks, Brats and mixed veggies.
Replaced my old grill that rusted out after 10 years, I like this one as its almost the same size but has the added end tables which are really nice. Heavy cast iron construction with porcelain grill surface.

Attached Thumbnails Haulin with Da Fit !-img_4055.jpg   Haulin with Da Fit !-img_4057.jpg   Haulin with Da Fit !-img_4065.jpg  

Last edited by Sono; 05-26-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Good choice, charcoal is the way to go! If there is one near you, Costco's meat department has been having some killer fillets lately.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by idrivemyself
Good choice, charcoal is the way to go! If there is one near you, Costco's meat department has been having some killer fillets lately.
There was a Costco but I don't think it is hear anymore, I used to be a member there. Now I use Sams Club, that's where I bought the pit.
Pretty good deal at $200, when the last one I bought at Home Depot wasn't as big, made of sheet metal and cost nearly $600.

And yes, I hate gas grills, nothing better than the smoke flavors you get from coals and exotic woods....lol

Old 05-29-2017, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Right on. Is there a good butcher nearby then? I've never been to Sams Club, but if it's good that's all that matters.

When the Ms and I first moved in together she had a gas grill. I wouldn't use it and had to show her the light so I picked up a small Char-Griller 1515 and a Weber chimney off of Amazon. It's enough for the two of us on the patio, and the removable coal tray is pretty handy. I also added a temp gauge to the hood too. Not bad for the price either. And now she refuses to use propane too.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-29-2017, 08:07 PM
Nice. There are a few butchers around but my favorite is in Illinois ( Schubert Meats ) But Sams will cut you anything you want in back. I had them cut me the biggest, leanest Bottom round to make jerky with... turned out great too.

Attached Thumbnails Haulin with Da Fit !-img_3574.jpg   Haulin with Da Fit !-img_3476.jpg   Haulin with Da Fit !-img_3485.jpg  
Old 05-30-2017, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
That jerky looks tasty! What is it seasoned with? On a related note, I've been having cravings for bison lately...

Old 05-30-2017, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by idrivemyself
That jerky looks tasty! What is it seasoned with? On a related note, I've been having cravings for bison lately...
I use a homemade blend. First I cut it into 1/2" sticks or 1/4" slabs and soak it in LaChoy Soy Sauce. While its soaking I make my seasoning.

Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Black Pepper ( unless youre making Peppered, omit this and use Coarse ground once its on the racks )
Lawrys Seasoned Salt
Cayan pepper
Liquid Smoke ( if not curing in a smoker added to soy soak)

I usually mix the seasonings about equal amounts, but you can add or reduce each to your liking... I like the garlic flavor so I tend to add more garlic powder to the mix at times. I used an old season salt shaker and would mark on the sides each level of seasoning ( once you fine tune your flavor, you have a precise level to add each seasoning for next time ) It also works great to cover all the meat with seasonings.

If smoking, use a smoker box, if you don't have one, a grill is fine just don't build a big fire, you want to dry the meat not cook it ( it will turn to charcoal lol ) Dry times vary but try to get the smoker at least 160-180 degrees and
If using a stove, gas or electric, set to lowest possible setting, our gas stove starts at 170 which is fine ( 160 degree is ideal for killing all bacteria and such) at 170 the meat will dry in approximately 8 hours, but has taken as long as 12 depending on thickness.

I bought drying racks at Bed/bath/Beyond for $10 each, you can use whatever, just make sure there is air space all around the meats for even drying.

You can dry it as long as you want, some like it a little softer, I like mine like shoe leather...lol

Seal in a plastic zip lock bag ( heavy duty freezer bags are best, with a folded paper towel to absorb and moisture or buy the silica gel packs at some meat markets, farm supply stores. Ive kept mine for months with no issues.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
All of that sounds amazing, and thank you for sharing the recipe, but wouldn't it be easier for you to just send me a bag of jerky? (I'm kidding )

Here's what I have been looking in to lately:

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Dry-Aging Beef at Home | Serious Eats

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Steak | Serious Eats

The Ms is picky about how done her steaks are, so the sous-vide method is really intriguing. Plus, who doesn't like an easily repeatable, perfectly cooked steak? IMO the torch finish in the pan is a bit much though, just grill it.