1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

1st Gen Fit engine swap performance thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:08 PM
1st Gen Fit engine swap performance thread

Follow along with Fastbrakes and Hasport as we create an all new performance build on the GD Fit.

We will be transforming the car into a competent street machine with upgraded suspension, chassis stiffening, brakes, interior and finally a turbocharged engine swap using the new Civic L15 turbocharged engine.

We will be detailing how the engine swap takes place as well as the regular performance upgrades to the brakes, chassis, suspension and interior.

The build won't be anything really wild but we will be able enjoy the car much more when we are done.

Our first steps will be to upgrade all the suspension, chassis and brakes to be able to handle the additional power we will get from the engine.

I will be posting here as well as the Fastbrakes page on Facebook.

Parts are being ordered and we expect to start sometime next week.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome! Can't wait to sit back and watch the fun!

I'm thinking the electronic integration is going to be the hardest part. I have no idea how you get a DI motor with electronic everything to work in an old school Fit, but I sure look forward to finding out how!!!

This is good timing because I've been shopping power upgrade options myself. Was thinking that a K swap was about the only option, but an L15 should be much more fuel efficient and probably overall smoother.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Hasport will also be using the car to refine their mounts for the K motor.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe too early to ask this, but are you thinking of using the gauge cluster, ECU, fuel pumps, wiring harness, etc out of a donor vehicle?

That's about the only way that I could tackle that swap, but I don't have the resources or knowledge that you all have.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
....Dot...

Old 08-25-2017, 04:16 PM
We will be using as much of the donor vehicle parts as needed to get everything to work. Not sure if that will include the dash cluster, etc.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:17 PM
We will also be working with HeelToe Automotive to source many parts including the Ultra Racing chassis braces and the BC Coilovers

Old 08-25-2017, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
I like the sound of this.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Excited for all of this!

I for one will be following closely and taking notes of what works best.

Funny enough, I'd already picked BC Coilovers for my ride. From what I've read, the DR upgrade is worth every penny. Not a ton of choices for a GD so I'm glad they are an option.

Gathering parts and trying to spread the expense. Coilovers will probably be a next month purchase.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 PM
If it's a street car the DR's may be too harsh. I'm going with the BR's since I don't plan on tracking it.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:04 PM
cant wait to see the swap come to life subscribed.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Fastbrakes is gathering up parts for the Fit and will be installing the 11.6" 4 piston front kit and the 10.9" rear disc conversion this coming weekend. VTEC Academy will be helping with the upgrades and will be doing a write-up and video of the work. We also have received a rear swaybar from Progress Auto to help keep the Fit on the road. Our coilover suspension is on the way from our friends at HeelToe Auto and will be here in the next couple of weeks. We have decided on the BC Coilover kit with the DR type struts to compliment the increased power the Fit will be putting down with the L15 turbo swap.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the update! Can't wait to start getting build info and pics as it happens.

Is the rear disc conversion still offered by Fastbrakes? I started piecing together my own kit because I thought it was discontinued?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:57 PM
I have made a few sets of the brackets for the 10.9" rear conversion. For more info contact me at sales@fastbrakes.com

Old 09-07-2017, 07:55 AM
following.....i'm at the point where my little 1.5 is starting to nickle and dime me....and i miss my days of high-revving vtec engines.................................so, yeah, a k-series is on the way, but there's just NO good write ups on the wiring/ecu/dash/steering mess...so PLEASE cover this in detail

Old 09-07-2017, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
following.....i'm at the point where my little 1.5 is starting to nickle and dime me....and i miss my days of high-revving vtec engines.................................so, yeah, a k-series is on the way, but there's just NO good write ups on the wiring/ecu/dash/steering mess...so PLEASE cover this in detail
That's for sure! I'm really surprised there's not a kit available by now. I was hoping that someone would develop a full kit including wiring, ecu, etc with optional A/C lines like is available for other motor swap projects

Sadly, I don't think a detailed write up on this build would help us much since this is going to be very different with the new 1.5 turbo. I suspect he will end up with the donor cars...everything!

Will be an awesome ride, but would be an expensive build for most as the first step is buying an entire working new style civic.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Hasport WILL be doing a K swap into the car using new mounts they will develop prior to the L15 turbo swap. I will ask that they detail the swap with wiring, ecu info, etc.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:24 AM
The L15 turbo engines are already available in salvage yards for under $1500 so the swap will be an affordable option. Even the 6 speed transmissions are easy to source once you know which models to look for.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brian Hasty
Hasport WILL be doing a K swap into the car using new mounts they will develop prior to the L15 turbo swap. I will ask that they detail the swap with wiring, ecu info, etc.
That would be awesome!

I could be wrong, but I could see a resurgence of people interested in K swaps for GD's. They are now into the project car value and some of us have ones that are needing a second life. Would love to see a complete kit someday.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brian Hasty
The L15 turbo engines are already available in salvage yards for under $1500 so the swap will be an affordable option. Even the 6 speed transmissions are easy to source once you know which models to look for.
It's the ECU, wiring harness, HPFP & LPFP, gauge cluster, etc that will be tough with this swap I think. Honda's might be more modular, but people that have done swaps with DI motors in GM's and Fords have found that you have to swap EVERYTHING. As in, make the drivetrain think it's still in the donor vehicle.

Curious, outside of the Civic Si, is there a factory transmission option with a limited slip? Maybe the old Si 6-speed is an option?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm just really excited about your project. Really looking forward to following along and learning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st Gen Fit engine swap performance thread