1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Anyone break an ignition coil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Anyone break an ignition coil?

Hello all,

Seems like I didn't really run across people breaking ignition coils on their repairs. I dropped off my Fit to get ignition coils and a few other things done today. Well what they told me was that they broke an ignition coil that they were taking off. I guess they're busy fishing out the part that broke off. I dropped the car off this morning about 9:30 and now it's 4:30. I'm bummed but holding out hope.

BTW, there's only one thread when I search for "broken ignition coil honda fit" and that's on the 2nd gen forum.

Got a feeling I'm going home without a car.

How did this happen? They were trying to be fast?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm, is this an independent, chain or Honda dealer? If the latter, I'd be raising a stink.

It's not that difficult to replace coils and plugs on the GD3. Plenty of how-to videos here and on youtube. You'll need a spark plug socket (I like the magnetic type) and extension on a socket wrench, a 10mm hex to remove the bolts affixing the coilpacks to the engine, and some dielectric grease.

Assuming they broke the coilpack before they got to the plugs, I don't see where this would be an issue, but then again, I don't understand how you break a coilpack unless you're really ham-fisted. More info needed.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Hopefully they didn't break the retaining bolt off one of the coils!

Old 09-27-2017, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Hopefully they didn't break the retaining bolt off one of the coils!
If it broke taking it off, I suspect the small bolt snapped off that holds the coil in place. They are small bolts, so if there is any corrosion, it's very easy to do. Corroded small bolt into aluminum equals snap when trying to remove.

They'll get it fixed. Not a big deal. Fortunately the area is fairly accessible on a GD Fit.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:38 PM
Well actually I got my car back before closing.......barely.

It was an independent. The one thing I liked with these guys is that it's easy to deal with them and I'd rather deal with them. He thinks these coils were the original ones. If that's correct, then that's over 190k miles on them. So really I don't blame them for having one snap on them. Could have easily been the customer. Everything else went fine. He told me that the parts I had were the correct parts and good parts for the car. Oh and the plugs that were on the car wasn't the right ones. Even the belt and pulley that I got replaced wasn't doing that hot.

Here's a pic of the original coils. I was going to save them and use them if they were still good, but I think I'm just going to toss them.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Running good now?

Things break over time. Nothing lost since you had new coils. Just more work for them.

Factory Honda parts last a really long time, so those could have been original. 3 out of 4 of our coils are still original.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Yowsa! Never seen a coilpack break like that before. Looks like they were trying to rock it out and just snapped it. So other than it taking longer than expected to fish out the rest of the coilpack, probably nothing to worry about.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by User1
Well actually I got my car back before closing.......barely.

It was an independent. The one thing I liked with these guys is that it's easy to deal with them and I'd rather deal with them. He thinks these coils were the original ones. If that's correct, then that's over 190k miles on them. So really I don't blame them for having one snap on them. Could have easily been the customer. Everything else went fine. He told me that the parts I had were the correct parts and good parts for the car. Oh and the plugs that were on the car wasn't the right ones. Even the belt and pulley that I got replaced wasn't doing that hot.

Here's a pic of the original coils. I was going to save them and use them if they were still good, but I think I'm just going to toss them.

The coil broke due to its age (coil neck to boot connector got eroded internally because of electrical corona discharge) the plug next to it was leaking a bit giving a coil tip brownish appearance

Old 10-19-2017, 09:53 PM
I've broken two ignition coils on my last fit mostly due to the coil boot melting onto the spark plugs and becoming stuck

Old 03-20-2018, 03:15 PM
Its a tight angle for cylinders 3 and 4, if you flex it wrong I can see how this happened. Maybe someone was in a hurry to pull one off. I guess it could have been on very tight, this is where silicone grease on the inside of the boot (but not the wire) would help with release.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:46 AM
how

So how did they get it out? 🤔