Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Suspension Clunk - Strut Mount? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/96921-suspension-clunk-strut-mount.html)

skiboarder119 10-31-2017 01:38 PM

Suspension Clunk - Strut Mount?

At slow speeds over bumps I hear a clunking from my suspension. It is definitely the front and seems to be both the right and the left. Stabilizer links are secure and not worn out. Bouncing the car by hand doesn't not produce the noise. Dampers are still working correctly. Ball joints and bushings on the lower control arm are secure and have no free play. Steering knuckle is secure and has no free plate.

The last thing (which I can't rule out without disassembly) is the strut mount bushing is probably worn out. Does anyone have experience with these failing? Does this make sense to the community on here?

I did a lot of searching and most people talked about stabilizer links. I was hoping to make one dedicated to failures of strut mount bushings.

I'd rather not spend $ before I know what it is (this is just my winter beater). I'd also rather not tear my whole front suspension apart and then have to drive my sports car on the roads now covered in Salt.

Thanks for your help,

doctor J 11-01-2017 05:09 AM

When the driver side end link failed on my car, I reproduced noise by opening drivers door and shaking car sideways by pulling down on the door; also it was an old mattress noise when I was getting on the seat.

Carbuff2 11-01-2017 08:52 AM

It's been my experience that you can't tell a noisy sway bar link by a visual inspection. You just need to replace 'em.

If you are truly money-adverse :-) you could try injecting grease into the rubber boots on the links via a needle attachment on a grease gun. See if that changes the noise.

skiboarder119 11-07-2017 12:21 PM

My experience you can always tell bad ball joints and bushings by wiggling them.

After a second inspection, I found the lower drivers sway bar link was indeed loose (worn out). I just had to pull a little harder (by hand) on it and listen a little closer.
I replaced it last night, car sounds great this morning.

I do not recommend people pull up on the end of the door as mentioned above, as a designer of hinges and doors like this, I can tell you it is not meant to handle this sort of loading. You could bend your hings or the sheet metal hing mounts. If you must get more force on the link you can pry between the sway bar end and the subframe mounting location fairly easily.

ChrisA70 01-14-2020 08:17 PM

Replaced my end links, and the front end still sounds like bad strut mounts... Dealer says this is a normal sound for the Fit. I'm ready to replace both struts with KYB, new rubber mounts, strut bearings, etc. The noise irritates the crap out of me, and if it is a normal thing for the weird designed way these struts are in these cars, I will trade it in in a year or so.... My CRV(2008) has 150k on original struts and feels like a cadillac compared to the 16 Fit. No noise at all.

doctor J 01-15-2020 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by skiboarder119 (Post 1385121)
I do not recommend people pull up on the end of the door as mentioned above, as a designer of hinges and doors like this, I can tell you it is not meant to handle this sort of loading. You could bend your hings or the sheet metal hing mounts.

Nonsense!
It's about swings or old baby stroller!
While door skin is extremely easy to damage the door frame, hinges and A-pillar can withstand mush greater force without damage.

eulogy 01-15-2020 11:15 PM

have you inspected the welds under the cowl?

mailnitram 06-12-2022 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisA70 (Post 1441728)
Replaced my end links, and the front end still sounds like bad strut mounts... Dealer says this is a normal sound for the Fit. I'm ready to replace both struts with KYB, new rubber mounts, strut bearings, etc. The noise irritates the crap out of me, and if it is a normal thing for the weird designed way these struts are in these cars, I will trade it in in a year or so.... My CRV(2008) has 150k on original struts and feels like a cadillac compared to the 16 Fit. No noise at all.

did you ever figure it out I got the same thing going on

ChrisA70 06-12-2022 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by mailnitram (Post 1469477)
did you ever figure it out I got the same thing going on

Well, after arguing with the useless dealer I bought it from I decided to order new KYB struts, and all new genuine OEM top parts and replaced them myself. The clunk went away completely. It was like a new car. I traded the 16' Fit in last year on a 16' CRV(mistake) I wish I had it still. Now I have a 2018 Pilot lol.

mailnitram 06-12-2022 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisA70 (Post 1469479)
Well, after arguing with the useless dealer I bought it from I decided to order new KYB struts, and all new genuine OEM top parts and replaced them myself. The clunk went away completely. It was like a new car. I traded the 16' Fit in last year on a 16' CRV(mistake) I wish I had it still. Now I have a 2018 Pilot lol.

just swapped in new strut assembly clunk is gone finallllyyy!!!! It really does feel like new car