1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

totalled. favorite car ever. saved my ass

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 PM
totalled. favorite car ever. saved my ass

hit and run totalled my car today. airbag and solid firewall saved my ass. Engine jammed right into the firewall. head on collision. favorite car of all time. wanted it to be my last one. 2008 MT 110k miles, valves and coils and sparks done just last August. Heads up you people. The Fit will save your ass in a collision. I was not moving. The lowlife who slammed into me and then accelerated and ducked into an alley in a high crime area was definitely hiding something, and was moving very fast. Man, airbags are the bomb, and that car, my sweet little 08, is solid as a tank in a violent collision. Tiniest scratch on my hand, from airbag. Unfortunately, nothing the insurance will give me will come close to replacing this sweet little love o' mine.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Too bad.
Sounds like you really liked your vehicle.
Tough to lose it that way.
But at least you are OK.

Are you going to consider getting another Fit?

Old 01-11-2018, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry about the horrible luck! Glad you are OK!

Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your accident.

Glad you're okay.

So, was your life-saving airbag the one that was original to the car, or was it a replacement under the recall?

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
good to hear but sad to hear.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Sure glad you are OK. Sorry you lost your car.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:38 PM
i did the airbag recall. not sure if it applied to the steering wheel. When it came back from the recall it was clear they had done something to the a pillar moulding. the steering wheel airbag saved my life, and left me with no injury save a little burn and scratch on my right wrist from the deployment.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
My daughter has totaled two of them. An 09 in a head on with a van to was doing 50 that ended up rolling her over, and an 11 that hit a deer at 55 mph. In both cases the Fit protected her well. She now is driving a 16 Fit.

Sorry that you lost yours but you are OK. If you look around, soon you can find another one that you like. Of the three she has owned we liked the first one, an 09, the best.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:19 PM
That's tuff losing one that way! Becomes such a surprise to you. The most important thing is that you're OK and others learn from this ride.

BTW looks like this is already in the hands of the insurance peeps, but if it's not, I could use a few parts on it! I got an 07 I'm rehabbing. The lights look good and could use some better weather seals.

Get back to me if you want to make some money off the warrior.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Glad you are fine. I had a higher speed collision on the driver's side in my 2008 Fit and it was totaled, I tweaked my lower back some but that was about it. I was shocked at the amount of damage the car incurred and how I was relatively unscathed. It was a big reason I decided to get another one.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by User1
I could use a few parts on it! I got an 07 I'm rehabbing. The lights look good and could use some better weather seals.

Get back to me if you want to make some money off the warrior.
I'll have to check with the insurance people. Right now they're strangely quiet. I don't have possession of the car, but its still technically mine. Yes, my headlights were not frosted at all, as the car had only 94k miles on it. But I'm in Canada, Toronto, so it would probably be difficult to get those lights to you in California.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by radioarno
I'll have to check with the insurance people. Right now they're strangely quiet. I don't have possession of the car, but its still technically mine. Yes, my headlights were not frosted at all, as the car had only 94k miles on it. But I'm in Canada, Toronto, so it would probably be difficult to get those lights to you in California.
Thanks, just get back to me whichever way you like. I'm not really hurting for stuff, but I'm no longer in the middle of LA LA Land either. So don't really have wreckers around that much anymore. I'm up for other stuff too.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by User1
Thanks, just get back to me whichever way you like. I'm not really hurting for stuff, but I'm no longer in the middle of LA LA Land either. So don't really have wreckers around that much anymore. I'm up for other stuff too.
I just saw you're in Sac. I lived in Sac 92-98. Moved to Toronto from there. Still miss it. I lived on a street called Lagomarsino Way, taught at Hiram Johnson High School.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member
Too bad you're all the way in Toronto....I would totally sell my fit to you. I recently purchased a 2018 honda civic hatchback, but I'm still currently driving my Fit until it's sold. Just trying to savor the last days with it before the inevitable...

https://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/...463791429.html

Old 01-21-2018, 07:00 PM
I just saw you're in Sac. I lived in Sac 92-98. Moved to Toronto from there. Still miss it. I lived on a street called Lagomarsino Way, taught at Hiram Johnson High School.
Well that's a surprise! I'm one that likes riding my bicycle and I ride by where you lived just about every time I'm riding to downtown. I like taking H street for my route alot. I'm coming from the Rancho area.

Any resources for Honda parts worth mentioning? I might end up doing it myself, but I'm going to need a shop I can trust for doing a valve adjustment too.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:05 PM
rockauto.com, best price for best parts. excellent service. even getting them shipped to Canada comes out cheaper than anything available in Canada. I got hitachi coils, best plugs, from rockauto. Do the valves yourself. Its super easy, and very satisfying.

Yup, I used to ride along the American River, loved the path along the river. I lived right near H Street. Sweet.

Do you ever go to Sly Park, in El Dorado Park? Real nice place.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:04 AM
rockauto.com, best price for best parts. excellent service. even getting them shipped to Canada comes out cheaper than anything available in Canada. I got hitachi coils, best plugs, from rockauto. Do the valves yourself. Its super easy, and very satisfying.

Yup, I used to ride along the American River, loved the path along the river. I lived right near H Street. Sweet.

Do you ever go to Sly Park, in El Dorado Park? Real nice place.
Yeah I was thinking of any auto wreckers around. I was living in Long Beach, CA before here. There were NUMEROUS wreckers around there. Seems a bit skimpy around here. Rockauto very nice supplier to have available. Got stuff from them before.

I might just go ahead and do the valves myself, but I'm going to first see what the repair shops around me want for doing that. I can get a feel for the shop and figure out who to take the Fit to for when something is needed.

I haven't been to Sly Park, but it looks like something I'd really like to ride to and do a little camping at. Thanks for the tip and I'll follow up on it this spring.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:16 PM
‘Hard to see a solid machine in that condition. She protected you ‘til the end. Something similar, but not as violent, happened to me years ago. It was really difficult to let mine go. I still think of her fondly. The good ones do that to a driver/enthusiast. ‘Glad you’re okay and it’s good to see another runabout go into beast mode to save her pilot. RIP

Old 01-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Amabento
‘ another runabout go into beast mode to save her pilot. RIP
beautiful. thanks.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:47 AM
beautiful. thanks.
No worries. It’s the least that can be said/posted on behalf of your valiant lil’ ride. Many bemoan the lack of runabout safety to justify another bloated Car on the road. I see/read these accounts, think of my own, and wish more than enthusiasts frequented these forums. You’ll never replace her, but I trust your experience will put you in another runabout. Best to you.