Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Strange noise from my Fit when the rear windows are down (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/97385-strange-noise-my-fit-when-rear-windows-down.html)

User1 01-14-2018 11:34 PM

Strange noise from my Fit when the rear windows are down

Hello all,

I'm still in the learning and discovery process of this car. I learned today that there's a noise coming from the rear? When the rear windows are down some to all the ways, there's a strange noise coming from the rear wheels I think. The first time I hear this today, I thought one of rear wheels was either losing air or a wheel was loose. I pulled over and examined both rear wheels. There was nothing seen that was out of the ordinary.

The noise kinda sounds like a driveline was out of balance, if it had a driveline. I haven't gotten around to swapping the rear/front tires, but I might if this isn't "normal" on these.

Then to make it weirder, the noise goes away if I keep the windows up. Also the noise starts ~40 mph and kinda get worst going up from there.

Finally the tires are good quality radial tires with maybe 30-40% used up.

ezone 01-15-2018 01:24 AM

When the rear windows are down some to all the ways
It's called "wind buffeting" and is normal characteristic of many cars, especially if only a back window(s) is rolled down.

IOW, don't do that.

User1 01-16-2018 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 1390804)
It's called "wind buffeting" and is normal characteristic of many cars, especially if only a back window(s) is rolled down.

IOW, don't do that.

Back in the old days I had a four door car that carried five adults and got 40 mpg. That car never did whacked out stuff like sounding like the car is going to fall apart. Man I miss those good old days! Just one con job after another now........
:violin:

Jared592 01-16-2018 10:25 AM

The difference is that in the old days you'd be way more likely to die in an accident in a 40mpg car than in a modern car with equivalent mpg.

BurntZ 01-16-2018 09:46 PM

Yep, simply wind buffeting from unequal air speed and pressure entering the cabin. It will blow your ear drums out. I prefer blowing my ears out to 80's rock instead of that hideous wind noise. Rain guards over each window will help, as will lowering the rear windows by 2 inches equally on each side. Good luck.

GAFIT 01-17-2018 10:09 PM

"Back in the old days" (1989) I had a 4-door car that would do 140mph before I hit it with the 125 shot. It had the same wind buffeting noise I get with my current 160mph+ twin turbo 4-door. Roll the windows up and drive on.

FWIW, I only hear road noise in our tin can GD Fit with the windows up. Try yours with the windows up and see if you hear anything else. Noise with the back windows down in a 4-door and you're likely hearing wind buffeting.

User1 01-21-2018 07:38 PM

This sounds like perfect opportunity to do a good practical joke...............

Picture this;

You're driving down the road late at night and your sweetie is napping in the passenger seat. I have a group of rear lights cause I've been bicycle rider for years. I'll have to go through my lights to find a suitable light, but I bet I could find a light that flashes just right. I turn the light on and toss it the back area. Then roll the rear windows down! I start freaking out saying I think there's a UFO chasing us!

She wakes up freaking out!!!!!!! :rotfl: