Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   1st Generation (GD 01-08) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/)
-   -   Battery quesion.... (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/99499-battery-quesion.html)

kremkaos48 11-29-2018 09:44 AM

Battery quesion....

This may seem like a dumb question but I'm pretty sure I need a new battery. I keep coming to my 08 fit in the morning dead and wont start, no clicks when I try to start it. I have to charge the battery to start it back up and then it runs fine for a few days before the issues comes back. Lights still flash when I auto start it, just doesn't start. Before I spend money on a new battery do you think it would be the starter? I've had issues with the ignition coils and had to replace them, but I've been having another issue where if the car isn't heated up all the way, it dies when I put into drive and I think its been pushing my battery or starter to the breaking point cause of the constant restarting and kind of take sounds like the car strains to start when it happens. My mechanic suggested a part that would cost $950 but he said it not necessary unless it gets worse. Before I take it to him, you guys think it would just be a simple battery replacement and hold out on fixing the other issue? Please don't yell at me for my noobness just explain your suggestion nicely please.

doctor J 11-29-2018 12:36 PM

No idle in gear cold is related to tight valves. Adjust the valves
Aftermarket remote starts and alarms have flimsy electronics and cause battery drain

kremkaos48 11-29-2018 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by doctor J (Post 1418252)
No idle in gear cold is related to tight valves. Adjust the valves
Aftermarket remote starts and alarms have flimsy electronics and cause battery drain

i was thinking the alarm was an issues aswell cause it hasnt been working for sometime but would be the first time its happened since it was installed by the dealer when i first bought the car.

Carbuff2 11-30-2018 08:35 AM

I'd replace the battery for sure if it was 4 years old, or more. Then have the alternator output checked (tho' I haven't heard of many Fit alternator issues).

Its easy to measure parasitic drain caused by alarms & stuff.

++++++

PS yeah the idle issues indicate the need for valve adjustments. Also, clean the throttle body an do the Idle Learn Procedure.

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE! :nod:

Cruise 12-07-2018 02:12 PM

The stock battery in the Fit is pretty weak. Mine didn't last much more then 4 years. Definitely worth replacing first even if you have any other issues that also need sorting out.
Not a stupid question at all. Good luck!

MTLian 12-24-2018 05:56 PM

I changed my cheap Fit battery to a 51R Kirkland (costco) battery and nevery looked back. Requires a very minor mod to the battery tray but fits perfectly and offers twice the CCA. HAd the bigger battery going on 6 years now.