2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Aem fic

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Aem fic

Is there a specific model for the GE?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by MSILVEST04
Is there a specific model for the GE?
From what I can find, you want the FIC-6 [30-1910] There is not currently a PNP harness from groups liek Boomslang that I can find, though you may be able to get them to make a custom one for you if you don't feel like spending a few hours upside down in the wheel well soldering like you do with most ECU/piggybacks

However there are a few guys in this thread from 2009 suggesting they do have a harness option, so you may just have to make a few phone calls!

Please help! Is the F/IC compatible with the new Honda Fit GE8?

You also may want to register with the AEM forums, and then get aquainted with fantola.

If you ask nicely it looks like he can provide a base tune via email to get started.

Anything beyond that there are a few members here that can help you out if you have specific questions, because the AEM forums are kinda slow for feedback.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Thank you DSM, also what kind of injectors should I get? I know the 410cc Acura RDX fit, could I fit the RSX 510cc injectors.... Would that be over kill? I don't want to over work the injectors... I'm going to buy the sprintex s/c and do I build myself pushing for 200 hp any info helps

Old 03-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you DSM, also what kind of injectors should I get? I know the 410cc Acura RDX fit, could I fit the RSX 510cc injectors.... Would that be over kill? I don't want to over work the injectors... I'm going to buy the sprintex s/c and do I build myself pushing for 200 hp any info helps
Unless you plan on moving more than 250whp worth of air the 410cc/min would be the way to go. And I wasn't aware there were 510cc/min injectors for the RSX.

Do you know what type of injectors they are?

Usually though I am of the opinion that if you can adjust your global fuel settings with enough range to allow good part throttle driving, go for the biggest injectors possible the first time through if you ever plan on upgrading.

As far as the Sprintex S/C is concerned I think it can move 200whp worth of air, but you will be approaching the choke flow of the compressor, and you will also need to "pulley down" to achieve the boost required to move that much air through a 1.5L from a compressor of that capacity.

This of course all depends on what size pulley/boost the USDM version of the sprintex blower comes with.

Also, what sorts of fuel do you have available to you? If you want to make safe reliable power at higher boost levels, you should look into E85.

E85 requires larger injectors, because across the board you are going to need 150% mass flow for a given unit volume of air if you remember our PM discussion on Lambda.

If my budget allows and I end up needing more power to reach my goals I will be switching to E98, which will require yet larger injectors, in which case I will be stepping up the High Impedance Fuel Injector Clinic 2150cc/min units or the ID2000's.

So for instance, I currently have 1450cc/min (@ 43psi base fuel pressure) injectors in my race car because occasionally I have the opportunity to use E85, and that is how much injector you need to fuel >60lbs/min of airflow when using E85.

The same amount of air using gasoline calls for only 950-1050cc/min injectors, but you always want to have more than you would need.

So in short, for only 200whp worth of air 410cc/min injectors should be fine if you only intend to run pure gasoline or E10 gasoline

Note: These calculations are assuming the highest IDCs you will be seeing is 85% duty cycle.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 AM
DSC
I asked Boomslang if they could make a custom harness and Mr. Bernskoetter said that "Right now we cannot. We are unable to purchase the connectors that the 2009+ Fits use. The 2009+ are different than the 2006-2008. They are not compatible. We don’t have any plans at this time to offer 2009+ Fit harnesses."
I also contacted fantola (Angus) from fantola.tw@yahoo.com.tw and this is what I got:
" Currently we don't have PnP harness for GE FIT. However, we do have BOOSTEC Stage 2 bolt-on turbo kit for GE FIT. Also, we have Crower I-beam forged connecting rods and CP forged pistons for L15A7 engines in stock. We can provide the any complete power-up solutions at your demand. Just feel free to contact us for details."

The BOOSTEC Stage 2 consist of:

"BOOSTEC Stage 2 bolt-on turbo kit includes the folowing

1. BOOSTEC cast turbo manifold
2. genuine KKK K03 with oil/coolant feed/drain lines
3. BOOSTEC exhaust front pipe with cat-delete
4. BOOSTEC aluminum intake pipes
5. BOOSTEC fmic
6. BOOSTEC silicone couplers
7. AEM dry-flow air filter
8. SQV3 BOV
9. necessary accessories and hardware
10. genuine HONDA OEM injectors with clips
11. AEM FIC with extended wiring harness

The boost level is set at 0.9~1.0 bar which can make 220HP at flywheel.
The kit fits both AT and MT transmission perfectly.
We look for around 3300 USD."

Im assuming they are located in Taiwan so I dont know if the wiring harness is compatiable.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Hey DSM those injectors were 550 I was talking about, my bad, RC makes em? Found em on ebay. Probably gunna go get a helms manual for a wiring diagram on the ecu rather do it myself. Saves me money and gets me more acquainted with my car ya know

Old 03-27-2011, 01:19 PM
E85 is available right where I work I was always set on 93 octane. Will fuel burn increase with E85 I mean I'm commuting 30 miles 1 way so with a 10 gallon tank I'm good for about 5-6 days on one tank so will I be around the same with E85 fuel? Do I need to do anything to the vehicle fuel delivery wise with injectors that big?

Old 03-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by DSC
I asked Boomslang if they could make a custom harness and Mr. Bernskoetter said that "Right now we cannot. We are unable to purchase the connectors that the 2009+ Fits use. The 2009+ are different than the 2006-2008. They are not compatible. We don’t have any plans at this time to offer 2009+ Fit harnesses."
I also contacted fantola (Angus) from fantola.tw@yahoo.com.tw and this is what I got:
" Currently we don't have PnP harness for GE FIT. However, we do have BOOSTEC Stage 2 bolt-on turbo kit for GE FIT. Also, we have Crower I-beam forged connecting rods and CP forged pistons for L15A7 engines in stock. We can provide the any complete power-up solutions at your demand. Just feel free to contact us for details."

The BOOSTEC Stage 2 consist of:

"BOOSTEC Stage 2 bolt-on turbo kit includes the folowing

1. BOOSTEC cast turbo manifold
2. genuine KKK K03 with oil/coolant feed/drain lines
3. BOOSTEC exhaust front pipe with cat-delete
4. BOOSTEC aluminum intake pipes
5. BOOSTEC fmic
6. BOOSTEC silicone couplers
7. AEM dry-flow air filter
8. SQV3 BOV
9. necessary accessories and hardware
10. genuine HONDA OEM injectors with clips
11. AEM FIC with extended wiring harness

The boost level is set at 0.9~1.0 bar which can make 220HP at flywheel.
The kit fits both AT and MT transmission perfectly.
We look for around 3300 USD."

Im assuming they are located in Taiwan so I dont know if the wiring harness is compatiable.
DSC, do you know what the compression ratio is on those pistons?
and also how much boost the L15 can handle?

Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM
DSC, do you know what the compression ratio is on those pistons?
and also how much boost the L15 can handle?

No engine is boost limited

Old 03-27-2011, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
E85 is available right where I work I was always set on 93 octane. Will fuel burn increase with E85 I mean I'm commuting 30 miles 1 way so with a 10 gallon tank I'm good for about 5-6 days on one tank so will I be around the same with E85 fuel? Do I need to do anything to the vehicle fuel delivery wise with injectors that big?
Here is a link to E85. I know Scratch and Dent has used E85 mix with success.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...85-debate.html

Old 03-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
No engine is boost limited
Now when you say that..... Your saying that this L15 can handle 16psi safely? Or when you say that do you mean through good tuning and engine work it can handle any amount of boost

Old 03-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Now when you say that..... Your saying that this L15 can handle 16psi safely? Or when you say that do you mean through good tuning and engine work it can handle any amount of boost
16psi on one compressor isn't that same as 16psi on another, and yes the rest is in the tune and the condition of the engine to start with!

16psi on my 14B is enough for ~250whp on a 1.5L:

16psi on a T25can flow enough for ~225whp on an aggressive tune:

16psi is good for almost 300whp on a GTK350:

16psi on a S472sx is enough for >800whp on an engine that can accept that much air, and would be good for well north of 350whp on a Fit.

In fact the L15A1 and the L15A7 can both handle 16 psi as Lyon and a couple other FF members have found, its about mass flow and how much cylinder pressure and heat the components can withstand.

The abuse from the nitrous backfires that Lyon subjected his car to have not adversely affected it, and that causes pressure and heat spikes far beyond that of what you would see with the Sprintex or a comparably sized turbo.

So much so that they would put him in limp mode and he had actually melted a spark plug

For reference 1.0bar boost is 14.7psi. There are several people running more than that.

There is a guy running 21 psi (1.5bar) in Bahrain on a GT2860RS and he is aiming for north of 250whp. ANGGERR from Jakarta, Indonesia was running 1.4 bar last I talked to him in the 100F humid weather they have on crappy fuel.

I'd like to go into this in more depth so I will try and follow up a little later!

Good tune, good fuel and efficient compressor and there is no real limit for a given engine. Granted the weakpoint in the Fit seems to be the conrods, but again its all about the cylinder pressure and where it occurs.

To double power you only need to increase cylinder pressure by 20% at the right rod angles, and we have a relatively high R/S ratio so even in spite of the twigs we have for con rods we still have plenty of potential for making good reliable power.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-27-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:28 PM
There are 700whp stock block and head K-series, there are 9 sec/650whp+ stock 4G63's, its all in the tune, fuel and the components used. I am not saying there will be 600whp stock L-series, but that should illustrate the point that when done properly, nearly anything is possible.

Match the components for the goal and you can pull a ton of power out of any engine and keep it reliable if you maintain it properly.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-27-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:49 PM
So you've swayed me towards E85.... What are injectors I would need for it? And also how does it benefit a boosted setup? And one more lol do I have to mix it like Scratch and Dent did?
Thank you

Old 03-29-2011, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
watch out before jsut dumping e85 into your fuel system. it will eat away at componenets.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
watch out before jsut dumping e85 into your fuel system. it will eat away at componenets.
Great point, and it attracts water. Around here the stations that carried E85 stop carrying it and is hard to find. Its a good fuel for racing but have to run regular gas after each day racing to prevent damage and water separation. I know it applies to Methanol, but ethanol is almost as corrosive and attracts water too.

I knew some one that had many problems with a E85 Ford that was made for it. Went through many sets of injectors and a few head gaskets.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Unless you plan on moving more than 250whp worth of air the 410cc/min would be the way to go. And I wasn't aware there were 510cc/min injectors for the RSX.

Do you know what type of injectors they are?
I had Power Enterprise 510cc injectors on my DC5R Integra. Was going to go with their 380cc when I put the K2 cams in, but for the same price and as a just in case the boost bug ever bit my mekatune loving ass, I went with the 510s. With K-Pro of course any size injector was feasible.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM
So you've swayed me towards E85.... What are injectors I would need for it? And also how does it benefit a boosted setup? And one more lol do I have to mix it like Scratch and Dent did?
Thank you
You should get comfortable with tuning gas first, and then well move onto E85! But you should build your fuel system in anticipation of making the switch!

E85 is far more knock resistant than 93, it is essentially race gas for pump prices. Roughly 105 octane, absorbs heat readily and prefers higher effective compression ratios. To a threshold there it actually prefers the higher IATs created by the compression of a turbo charger.

Theres a few threads on here, and I am sure you could get a few good links out of SB on it if you ask nicely He always seems to have some nice ones handy!

Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Great point, and it attracts water. Around here the stations that carried E85 stop carrying it and is hard to find. Its a good fuel for racing but have to run regular gas after each day racing to prevent damage and water separation. I know it applies to Methanol, but ethanol is almost as corrosive and attracts water too.

I knew some one that had many problems with a E85 Ford that was made for it. Went through many sets of injectors and a few head gaskets.
Easy on the E85 fearmongering guys... and yes you are right SB, E85 is hydrophilic, but so is pump gas, especially E10! The solution to this is just to keep the tank topped off if it has to sit for a while. Same thing when running leaded and oxygenated race gas in your street car for extended periods. I have done both lol

Myself and many friends have used it in several platforms almost all of which are/were DDs on mostly stock fuel systems for years (minus bigger pump, injectors and the occasional AFPR where needed) with ZERO issues. For a year I ran only E85 or E98 in my old 2G on stock lines, filter, check valve and literally everything else except for the AFPR, Pump and Injectors.

E85 its self, barring other issues, will not cost you a headgasket. Period.

Being an alcohol fuel it used to dry and rot out the occasional rubber seal or plastic fitting on old or aging fuel systems similar to the way leaded fuels would..

The reason the stations pulled it around here is because.. well its not especially useful in non boosted cars. People weren't buying it knowing that they would be seeing a significant dip in fuel economy.

Additionally many cars without flex fuel badges have inadequate pumps and/or injectors to deal with the 150% mass flow required and they would throw CELs or in worst case scenario would actually see detonation from excessive lean conditions. Aside from that there is less energy per unit volume so worse mileage was not especially attractive.

The other issue you mentioned SB regarding the injectors is another problem that has become incommon to the point of insignificance now were the heavy petroleum gunk that E85 distributors used to have an issue with falling out of suspension sticking to injectors from a combination of cleaning up the built up gunk in the fuel system (most fuels contain detergents so this will not likely be an issue)

However just running a tank of gasoline through them every other month will alleviate this, and if for whatever reason the E85 does start sticking to your injectors you pop them out of the rail and let them sit for an hour or two and then your all set. Just make sure you have a pump gas tune or just be gentle with the go-pedal when running gas on your E85 tune.

On a late model car you will have no issues running E85. The Fit included.

Or by now Scratch & Dent would be complaining about more than the occasional CEL from lean conditions. Which is only because his stock injectors are gonna be maxed out when running more than E30 blends on an otherwise stock fuel system.

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
I had Power Enterprise 510cc injectors on my DC5R Integra. Was going to go with their 380cc when I put the K2 cams in, but for the same price and as a just in case the boost bug ever bit my mekatune loving ass, I went with the 510s. With K-Pro of course any size injector was feasible.
Thanks for the clarification!

That is essentially my attitude towards injectors.. if you plan to make more power in the future and your ECM can correct for them.. get the biggest friggin injectors you can so you never have to upgrade again!

I may have to look into some of these 510's you guys are using if I can't find some more convenient E85 stations, but if I can find some place relatively close I will need to have to use TunaDaMan's DSM-injectors-in-a-GD thread and pop some ID1000's in!

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-29-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
All I am saying is to research E85. The problems in the 2003 Ford were on regular gas and not E85. I should have said that. It does produce more HP for the money and if it wasn't for the water separation problems and availability, I would find a way to use it.

I just added the Ford to show that there is problem running regular gas in a E85 setup car. I should have stated that in the first post and apologize for my confusion.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 03-29-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
DSM, The gas I threw in my sons turbo is the same gas I have in the tank and it was bad gas. Hard to start and real rough idle but the same readings on the UG. The exhaust is very sooty but mpg is similar to BP. It runs OK on the highway with no other problems. Not sure if they added to much toluene with the cold weather we are having.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 03-29-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Aem fic