Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-gen-ge8-specific-fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning-sub-forum/)
-   -   Finally : Straight Pipe Axleback Sound Clips (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-gen-ge8-specific-fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning-sub-forum/67711-finally-straight-pipe-axleback-sound-clips.html)

FittedOnEm 09-25-2011 07:37 PM

Finally : Straight Pipe Axleback Sound Clips

They aren't the greatest (recorded with my blackberry) but it gives you a good idea of how it sounds. It's a little throatier / not as raspy in person.
My Setup:
-Straight pipe axleback w/ DC Sports tip
-Everything else is stock (including intake)

Video 1
Video 2

Pictures:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/...0ea6b8ca_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6070/...a9c84bfb_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6075/...a49de44a_z.jpg

MNfit 09-27-2011 08:18 PM

Doesn't sound to bad. How is it just driving around?

vtecfit1 09-27-2011 10:02 PM

i kinda did a very similar thing, except i just cut mine right after the downturn after the axle (no pipe or tip to the back) i did it for the track so i'd get better sound on my videos - but i'm leaving it!! it's not loud or anoying at all (atleast without the extra pipe and tip)
do a drive by vid!
EVERYONE !!! IT SOUNDS GREAT! and when i want i just need to have it welded back together - and at that point it will have low miles on the factory muffler

props to the OP!

free mod for me:rotfl:

FittedOnEm 09-27-2011 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by MNfit (Post 1036615)
Doesn't sound to bad. How is it just driving around?

it's pretty quiet. i never get any attention from it; it sounds like how the car should've come from the factory. there's pretty much no highway drone, and i usually can't hear it over my stereo.

Originally Posted by vtecfit1 (Post 1036650)
i kinda did a very similar thing, except i just cut mine right after the downturn after the axle (no pipe or tip to the back) i did it for the track so i'd get better sound on my videos - but i'm leaving it!! it's not loud or anoying at all (atleast without the extra pipe and tip)
do a drive by vid!
EVERYONE !!! IT SOUNDS GREAT! and when i want i just need to have it welded back together - and at that point it will have low miles on the factory muffler

props to the OP!

free mod for me:rotfl:

it's honestly the cheapest / best sounding setup you can do for a GE. it's a very simple setup that still sounds really deep; and has a good amount of backfire :D
i'll do a drive by video soon. i recorded an interior video but you can't hear the car at all haha

Theos92vr4 02-26-2012 03:46 PM

Where did you get that tip from? Im going to do this to mine, and it looks like that tip fills the space perfectly. Just a little bit bigger than stock.

FittedOnEm 02-26-2012 11:19 PM

Picked it up from Pepboys, made by DC Sports. Think it ran me about $30.

Vash 02-28-2012 04:27 PM

what rims are on that scion? i want some lol

nynhex 05-02-2012 10:34 PM

I just picked up my 2010 AT GE8. Already deleted the resonator on the midpipe I think I'm headed to the muffler shop tomorrow to delete the muffler and put a tip on it. Considering our cars don't have much power, might as well get some good sound.

WangLung 05-04-2012 08:44 AM

Yeah totally thinking about doing this. Gonna have a shop fab a straight pipe with flanges and everything so I can remove the straight pipe and put my muffler back on quickly if I need to. Shipping an exhaust out here would hurt my wallet bad.

Edit: Yes! Please do a drive by video!

nynhex 05-04-2012 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by WangLung (Post 1096954)
Yeah totally thinking about doing this. Gonna have a shop fab a straight pipe with flanges and everything so I can remove the straight pipe and put my muffler back on quickly if I need to. Shipping an exhaust out here would hurt my wallet bad.

Good idea about doing a straight pipe setup with flanges. Looking back, I should have done that with mine. Now I sound like a loud battle tank.

I'm going to probably go to the opposite end of the spectrum and make my car super quiet.

FittedOnEm 05-04-2012 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 1078484)
what rims are on that scion? i want some lol

OEM rims painted black :)

Originally Posted by nynhex (Post 1096556)
I just picked up my 2010 AT GE8. Already deleted the resonator on the midpipe I think I'm headed to the muffler shop tomorrow to delete the muffler and put a tip on it. Considering our cars don't have much power, might as well get some good sound.

It'll probably be really loud. It'd sound better if you had a muffler with it, just saying.

Originally Posted by WangLung (Post 1096954)

That's what I'm going to do of I do this again on the new Fit. Since the old one is totalled I can't do a drive by video, sorry :(

Originally Posted by nynhex (Post 1096957)
Good idea about doing a straight pipe setup with flanges. Looking back, I should have done that with mine. Now I sound like a loud battle tank.

I'm going to probably go to the opposite end of the spectrum and make my car super quiet.

Just put the resonator back on, or get a muffler!

nynhex 05-04-2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by FittedOnEm (Post 1096976)
Just put the resonator back on, or get a muffler!

I'll probably put the oem muffler back on with the rounded tip I bought to avoid any issues. I'll have enough "sound" with the system I'm putting in the car. :rotfl:

JDMxGE8 05-04-2012 12:22 PM

Sounds good Andrew! And are you sure that tip is legit DC Sports? Never knew they sold tips.

Azizul Zulzaha 07-17-2012 06:34 AM

how is it going uphill?

chriskabobbers 10-04-2012 09:24 PM

I'm so thankful for finding this thread. I ordered a Greddy Spectrum Elite for my '13 Fit Sport MT last week, and apparently a lot of companies don't check to see if the exhausts they put up for sale are still being manufactured -__-. I kept getting a run around from the company that I ordered the exhaust from about why I wasn't receiving tracking for my purchase, so I called Greddy themselves and was told that the Spectrum Elite has been discontinued for a very long time. I immediately got a refund for the exhaust and was bummed since I did a lot of research on GE Fit exhausts, and pretty much every exhaust (besides the Spectrum Elite and T1R VIP) had a big canister muffler (which I wanted to stay away from due to attention).

I called up a reputable muffler shop in my city (I highly highly recommend Babe's & Lightning Muffler if you're in San Jose), and asked if he could chop off the OEM muffler and weld on a straight pipe (with 3.5" tip). I went to the shop around 3:30 PM, and everything was chopped and installed nicely by 4:30 PM.

The sound is awesome, drones quite a bit around 3,000 rpm especially if going downhill in 2nd/3rd gear in the city, but anywhere below or above 3,000 and you're not going to attract any attention. I haven't done any highway driving with it, but knowing that 65 mph in 5th gear sits right around the 3k rpm mark, I am hoping there won't be too much drone. It's a bit loud starting off in 1st gear, but shifting right away would quiet it down. I love how the sound is a deeeeep tone, nothing ricey about this set up at ALL. Honestly the best $100 I have spent, and having the OEM welded back on will only run me $20.

Hopefully I can make a few videos of it to show everyone. Now I don't have to skip out on the tinting I wanted to do. I can have my exhaust set up (looking stock!) and tint for the same price I would have gotten the Greddy exhaust for (plus I don't think I would have liked the sound as much as I do with this cheaper set up).

BTW, I don't know if I would recommend this set up for Automatic, since I suspect there would be constant drone? :/ I could be wrong though!

Thanks!
Chris

FIT4thetouge 10-04-2012 09:35 PM

I agree, the sound is great. Very OEM+…and if you've got an intake to go along with it it'll sound even better. The key to a good sounding exhuast on small engines is to focus more on intake noise IMO.

chriskabobbers 10-04-2012 10:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
just wanted to share some of the pictures from the install today:

Attachment 23043

Attachment 23044

Attachment 23045

Attachment 23046

Attachment 23047

Badwrench 10-05-2012 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chriskabobbers (Post 1136684)
I'm so thankful for finding this thread. I ordered a Greddy Spectrum Elite for my '13 Fit Sport MT last week, and apparently a lot of companies don't check to see if the exhausts they put up for sale are still being manufactured -__-. I kept getting a run around from the company that I ordered the exhaust from about why I wasn't receiving tracking for my purchase, so I called Greddy themselves and was told that the Spectrum Elite has been discontinued for a very long time. I immediately got a refund for the exhaust and was bummed since I did a lot of research on GE Fit exhausts, and pretty much every exhaust (besides the Spectrum Elite and T1R VIP) had a big canister muffler (which I wanted to stay away from due to attention).

I called up a reputable muffler shop in my city (I highly highly recommend Babe's & Lightning Muffler if you're in San Jose), and asked if he could chop off the OEM muffler and weld on a straight pipe (with 3.5" tip). I went to the shop around 3:30 PM, and everything was chopped and installed nicely by 4:30 PM.

The sound is awesome, drones quite a bit around 3,000 rpm especially if going downhill in 2nd/3rd gear in the city, but anywhere below or above 3,000 and you're not going to attract any attention. I haven't done any highway driving with it, but knowing that 65 mph in 5th gear sits right around the 3k rpm mark, I am hoping there won't be too much drone. It's a bit loud starting off in 1st gear, but shifting right away would quiet it down. I love how the sound is a deeeeep tone, nothing ricey about this set up at ALL. Honestly the best $100 I have spent, and having the OEM welded back on will only run me $20.

Hopefully I can make a few videos of it to show everyone. Now I don't have to skip out on the tinting I wanted to do. I can have my exhaust set up (looking stock!) and tint for the same price I would have gotten the Greddy exhaust for (plus I don't think I would have liked the sound as much as I do with this cheaper set up).

BTW, I don't know if I would recommend this set up for Automatic, since I suspect there would be constant drone? :/ I could be wrong though!

Thanks!
Chris

Its not too bad actually, you just hear how much the car is constantly shifting which gets annoying. I usually drive with the paddles in sport anyways. You get a nice little backfire at about 2800 rpm while downshifting.
Here is my clip from in the car (recorded with basic digital camera):

Also of not is that I had mine done with the stock tubing size and a small tip to keep the stock look. The larger the tubing, the louder it will be and potentially get more resonation.

Attachment 23033

Bama3Dr 10-23-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Badwrench (Post 1137044)
Its not too bad actually, you just hear how much the car is constantly shifting which gets annoying.

At 70mph with the A/T the rpms sit around 2,500. Does it drone around that rpm, or is it pretty quiet?

-Dustin

Badwrench 10-23-2012 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bama3Dr (Post 1141091)
At 70mph with the A/T the rpms sit around 2,500. Does it drone around that rpm, or is it pretty quiet?

-Dustin

Only drones under load. Unless you are going up hill, it stays very quiet.