Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-gen-ge8-specific-fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning-sub-forum/)
-   -   GE8 K-SWAP. The future is not so distant anymore (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-gen-ge8-specific-fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning-sub-forum/69471-ge8-k-swap-future-not-so-distant-anymore.html)

EnticedByTiffany 01-04-2012 11:07 PM

GE8 K-SWAP. The future is not so distant anymore

hey guys, for the record i'm using my girlfriend's account. for some damn reason i can't log in using the facebook option and i don't really feel like making a new account. my account is EVOFIT.

anyways back on track. do you guys recognize this car? the eibach K24 CR-Z?

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...t-1_800x0w.jpg

well after seeing that beautiful thing i emailed HaSport and this is how it went

Hey,

We will be selling a K-series mount kit for the CRZ within the next month. The kit will probably work in the second gen Fit as well. I have looked at the engine mounts on the Fit and it looks like it has the same attachment points at the frame rails as well as the subframe.

Brian Gillespie
brian@hasport.com

On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Hasport wrote:

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Contact FormDate: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 02:14:16 +0000From: Hasport <info@hasport.com>Reply-To: kongvue87@hotmail.comTo: info <info@hasport.com>

Name: kongE-mail: kongvue87@hotmail.comTelephone: Comment:

hey guys,

i just bought the recent issue of honda tuning magazine; boost vs n/a. while digesting the contents like i usually do, i came across this picture of a honda cr-z with the following captions. "eibach springs brought out its CR-Z track car with a new 2.4 heart thanks to HaSport." soooo therefore the question is; are you guys selling the mount kit?

I don't actually have a CR-Z, i have a 2010 honda fit. since the mounts are every similar and thesubframes are actually the exact same (same part number) i was hopeing to adapt it for my engine swap purposes. You guys already stated you have no plans on releaseing mounts for a Kswap into the 2nd gen. fit, (which i completely understand due mainly to lack on interest, but still resent) i figure this is my best shot.

im not sure what the interest is in for a k20 mount kit in the CR-Z crowd, and i know its few and in between in the fit crowd, but maybe if the mounts work for both cars, maybe it'll be enough for you to produce them for the ones like me who would love to beat around a track with more then a 1.5. lolthank you for your time and response.-kong vue
i realized this is just a little clear sky in the k-swap journey, but i was just wondering if anyone is now going to pull the trigger on their GE K-fit project? i will but not for a little while yet.

DiamondStarMonsters 01-04-2012 11:47 PM

Are there any K-Swap GE folks that aren't just blowing hot air?

I've only even had a handful (of USDM) owners start to follow through after taking me up on designing and sourcing a turbo system for their cars.

Out of.. f*ck I don't know literally 2000+ PMs, maybe 600 semi-legible inquiries on GE specific builds. I would say that's a healthy sample. Those are just the folks who came to me, FFS. So what 1-2/100?

The GD folks and the overseas GEs follow through much more often, almost 25% of the time. If they send me more than 2 PMs on it they are gonna do it to it.

Don't believe me? Call up Ron Shearer @ Wiseco/K1 and ask for some rods.. they are out of stock till March LOL

Build time is slow for many because they are DDs usually, but they eventually finish.

Lyon though was by far the fastest, FWIW though and hes a GE haven't seen/heard from him around here I think he abandoned FF.

When it comes time to put the car down for surgery or actually fork over cash for parts, it seems to start to dawn on them what the work entails.

And a whole Engine/Trans swap that is not reversible and cost 3x as much? Good Luck.

I would love to see more, I just don't think this is a crowd that actually follows through on dreams like that out of either fear, ignorance or being cheap bastards when its time to pony up.

Making mounts is not even that difficult, and is certainly not the hardest part. So I am not holding my breath on this one, even if they are indeed compatible.

mike410b 01-04-2012 11:54 PM

I don't see why its so absurd that most don't follow through. The majority of members on this forum are young men, and this is likely their first new/newish car, and the first car they've modded. So they see that they can get big gains and PM you, see the amount of work required and immediately give up.

That combined with warranty issues, etc. will turn away the faint of heart.

EnticedByTiffany 01-04-2012 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters (Post 1061553)
Are there any K-Swap GE folks that aren't just blowing hot air?

I've only even had a handful (of USDM) owners start to follow through after taking me up on designing and sourcing a turbo system for their cars.

Out of.. f*ck I don't know literally 2000+ PMs, maybe 600 semi-legible inquiries on GE specific builds. I would say that's a healthy sample.

When it comes time to put the car down for surgery or actually fork over cash for parts, it seems to start to down on them what the work entails.

And a whole Engine/Trans swap that is not reversible and cost 3x as much? Good Luck.

I would love to see more, I just don't think this is a crowd that actually follows through on dreams like that out of either fear, ignorance or being cheap bastards when its time to pony up.

Making mounts is not even that difficult, and is certainly not the hardest part. So I am not holding my breath on this one, even if they are indeed compatible.

cool rant bro. if you mad go hit a wall or something.

i didn't start this thread for you to blow off your steam about people not following though, or for you to vent your stupid ignorant frustration on people who talk but don't walk. your post isn't even relevent to anything i posted. i in no way shape or form started this thread to state or dedicate myself to anything. i started it just to let whoever know, whoever they maybe know that the mount issue for a GE8 k-swap has been solved for those looking for a straight bolt in mount kit. TO FUCKING SHARE INFORMANTION TO WHOEVER IT CONCERNS, IN A FORUM WHO'S MAIN PURPOSE SURROUNDS A COMMON CAR

DiamondStarMonsters 01-05-2012 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1061554)
I don't see why its so absurd that most don't follow through. The majority of members on this forum are young men, and this is likely their first new/newish car, and the first car they've modded. So they see that they can get big gains and PM you, see the amount of work required and immediately give up.

That combined with warranty issues, etc. will turn away the faint of heart.

I don't find it absurd thats why I am brutally honest with them, my observation was to illustrate that even if the mounts are compatible I don't expect really anyone to jump on it.

Same reason KW/Jackson Racing bailed on the GE. Its the demographic.

All it does is make groups less hesitant to support us in the future when a product gets hyped to hell, they drop cash on R&D and never make back the investment. The mounts are small potatoes in the whole build, even if they cost ~$750 for a set.

It will probably take another half decade or more before people are picking up cheap GEs as a project before we see even 1/10000 with a K.

This is the sort of thing I do day in/day out. And this is a public forum, if I recall. I just don't want to see another company get burned once and then turn their back on the community again because so many hounded them and then didn't put their money where there mouth is.

It hurts all of us.

Not to mention what you can do with less than half that money involved in an L15A, which actually has support. The rest could then go in to supporting mods, electronics and drivetrain. Potentially with money to burn after that.

mike410b 01-05-2012 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters (Post 1061561)
I don't find it absurd, my observation was to illustrate that even if the mounts are compatible I don't expect really anyone to jump on it.

Same reason KW/Jackson Racing bailed on the GE.

Its the demographic.

All it does is make groups less hesitant to support us in the future when a product gets hyped to hell, they drop cash on R&D and never make back the investment.

It will probably take a half decade or more before people are picking up cheap GEs as a project before we see even 1/10000 with a K.

Its still good to see that's its a possibility. If someone does want to go all out and do this, this thread may help them out.

DiamondStarMonsters 01-05-2012 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1061563)
Its still good to see that's its a possibility. If someone does want to go all out and do this, this thread may help them out.

I do tend to agree. It's not like I'm a mod that came in to shut this down or tell you how stupid a k-swap is. Quite the opposite.

I was even musing in another thread about a J-series.. which was actually done in a smaller honda recently.

Edit: Heh, looks like a couple people repped me for that last post, wonder why... Thanks guys.

EnticedByTiffany 01-05-2012 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1061563)

thank you, thats all i was aiming for. information sharing.

sam 01-05-2012 02:26 AM

Two good related topics which can certainly remain together. But consider(ing) creating separate offshoot for issues with engine/tran followthrough if so, would include cross-reference links and brief introduction. What say you posters and/or readers?

MNfit 01-05-2012 05:51 AM

I totally get what DSM is saying. I have gotten PMs asking me about my Kswap, the cost and what had to be done. I cant tell you how many people I have seen, GD and GE, that say they want to go K swap. I would love to see some K swapped GE's but I dont think most owners will go any further then simple bolt-ons with a few going FI.

Java^FiT 01-05-2012 11:25 AM

Some excellent points have been made in this thread however it was more about providing new information rather than creating controversy

I myself would love to throw a k in my engine bay but I am patiently waiting for #1 - my warranty to be up and #2 to have another dedicated daily driver.

While I can understand how this seems to be wavering and not jumping on an opportunity its simply making a plan. Which when it comes to an engine swap is way more important than just showing interest. Most of the people on here with GE's are young and this may be their first car so waiting for an engine mount to become available might just be that push they need.

I know when I have the opportunity I am going to pick up these HaSport mounts and then look around for an engine and tranny and all of the other parts but it will be a long while before the L15A7 ever gets pulled out because lets be honest, most of the people on here don't have the free time, and even more don't have the spare cash to have someone else do it. Its just a crap time to invest any money in something that is a crap shoot, but if you plan out a longer slower process, it is more than doable.

Just my $.02

555sexydrive 01-05-2012 05:27 PM

Just as a heads up, the 3 mounts between the Honda Fit MT model and CR-Z MT model, only the rear mount is the same part number. So though they visually look similar, there must be some slight nuances between them. For that matter, the MT and AT Fit only share the engine side mount between them as far as Honda part numbers are concerned.

So I don't think it will be just plug and play so easily.

MNfit 01-05-2012 05:43 PM

well if there close that at least gives them a start. My car was auto and the shop that did my swap was able to mod the AT trans mount to work with the MT mount

DiamondStarMonsters 01-05-2012 06:49 PM

Well, I did share information. It was pertinent to this topic Apparently it just wasn't what some people wanted to hear..

The fact is though: the mounts are more or less the least of your worries because any halfway decent shop (one you would go to for an engine retrofit) can make the mounts. Seriously.

If the mounts are holding you up, what are you going to do when you need a full custom header, down pipe and exhaust. MNFit said he paid ~$2000 for his header/exhaust ALONE. Which would cost more than the mounts.

What about a tuning solution and a tune? I know next to none of you have any idea how to work a piggyback, let alone a K-Pro or other flashable ECM. So the shop will have to do that for you too, and to the cost of around $150-200/hour plus fuel and spark plugs. Also going to cost more than the mounts.

Or the DSS CV-shafts which are not cheap by any means either, etc.

Or really any of the myriad bits and pieces that nickel and dime these builds to death. Especially in a car that is so new to so many who are only in this market because it was the only thing they could reasonably afford.

Few people have 10-15K to drop into their 15-19K car. Even less have the dedication to go do it. It is a gamble. I understand that.

That is information next to nobody asks for nor shares. And it certainly deserves a place in the conversation. And if not here, where?

If you find that controversial.. thats not really my problem.

I want to see more franken-Fits. Of all varieties. So don't misinterpret what I am saying.

That is half my purpose for staying with this forum - to help people go faster with a final product that is safe, functional reliable and affordable as possible. Yes I take a small cut, but I have a family to take care of. I have accrued the sources and spend many hours on each person. Its not like I am here for my health :rotfl:

But to paint this rosy picture of "Oh they are possibly, maybe considering GE K mounts, our saviour is here!" is asinine. Whats more is it is BS to get upset at someone for pointing this out. Again, it would be convenient if the planets align, theres a perfect eclipse, you sacrifice your favorite virgin goat and it turns out the mounts are compatible or atleast mod-able.

But that is a very minor part of this process. :wavey:

That is what I am saying. If merely the mounts are holding you back, this is not the project for you. Because there are a thousand unclear steps ahead you have not accounted for.

And unfortunately as it turns out, only the rear mount is physically the same for the MTs between the two chassis according to Honda.

If this thread is purportedly about information, why is it that information that you don't want to hear is not allowed?

This is one of the weirdest crowds I've ever gotten involved with when it comes to majors modification discussion. You just want the good news, apparently and nothing else.

nttdemented 01-10-2012 03:09 PM

There seems to be some confirmation directly from Hasport @ 3:07 in this video.

Nacho Speed Garage Episode 3: Revenge of the Fit | Nachospeedgarage on Blip

myblackhatch 01-17-2012 08:21 PM

Im excitied. If these mounts really work, this is what I have been waiting for. :popc:

now n/a K or boosted K? or s2k to k-trans conversion in the ge8. hummmm. decisions decisions :D

555sexydrive 01-17-2012 09:14 PM

Well he did say "appears to", that is not really a direct confirmation. :) They most likely will have to alter the mounts slightly to be GE specific. Either way, it will be cool if they do release some for the GE. As DSM stated, how many are actually going to K their GE versus talking about it. My old K resides in Texas with my friend who bought my 5R and had it totaled by some lady. I've already told him that he may hear from in the future about picking up the motor and tranny since he still hasn't found a chassis for it. :)

loquitocrxsi 01-25-2012 12:20 AM

I want t do it in a long term after I pay totally my fit then I going to start the process of selling my civic for a k motor first!!! so that will be in 5 more years!!!

Cornerstrike 01-26-2012 09:22 AM

Like someone said here, the mounts are just a small part of a Kswap, which if someone really wanted to do, they could have custom mounts fabricated.
I agree that most would not perform a Kswap for money reasons and that the Fit might be the only car. But even if you really have the money, how many would actually go through with it?

Think about it for a minute. If you swap a K series engine into your Fit, to do things the right way and safe for you and your passengers, you will need to upgrade your suspension and brakes, to make sure you can hand and stop safely. You would want to get new seats, so you're not fighting in the drivers seat to stay in place during cornering. And there's always going to be the risk, no matter how clean the swap, that a fuse or something might go rang and you can be stranded somewhere.

When I think about this, plus the $15k plus to do everything right, plus the value of my Fit, which is high right now, I start to feel that I might as well get back into an Evo again. And if not an Evo, I could look at an STI, FR-S, Cooper S, ILX with K24 and 6 speed, MS3, etc, etc.

And the bigger is that all these cars will outperform a Kswap fit and have a WARRANTY.

Personally, every day that I drive my Fit I imagine how a K20 would feel in it. I would love to get the swap and the mods done, and the mounts wouldn't stop me from doing so, because I would just get them fabricated.

The thing is the Fit is my only daily driver and I am a father of two. I cannot risk having any possible issues and being without a car, not even for a day.

If you live with your parents and have the money, then yes, by all a Kswap would be great. And at the end of the day, people who mod their cars want to be different, which a warranty does not play a factor in.

But as much as I want a Kswap, being realistic, I would probably only get one done if...

A) I own a home with a garage
B) I have atleast 1 or 2 DDs
C) I have $20k to spend on the swap and all the mods I want, and not putting a dent on my savings account

This is how I see it for me. I'm sure everyone else's situation is different, though.

MNfit 01-26-2012 10:01 AM

^^ I dont live at home Im a single 26 year old guy with his own place. The Fit was my only car for 3 years and I had it heavily modded, not the smartest thing when its your only car. When I did decide to go K though I did get a second car. When you start to break down the cost, yes it seems very pointless to K swap, but then you will have a boring car that you will see 100s of every day. How often do you see a K20/K24 Fit going down the road?

If the car was DD you would not NEED to upgrade the brakes, suspension or seats for a K, but it would not hurt