2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

APEXi Smart Accel Throttle Controller - Installed in my GE8

Old 10-05-2017, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
So here's an update. I disconnected the unit, reconnected, reinitialized, and recalibrated.

I am able to select the different modes, but only when engine is OFF. I cannot change modes when the engine is ON.

Second, there is absolutely no difference between any of the modes. White, Green, Blue vs Purple, Red. I tried each mode (turning my engine off each time) and drove around the same 3/4 mile (or so) circuit. Nothing was different than when the unit is not connected. Throttle response is identical in every instance.

Does this thing even work for anyone?

Old 10-05-2017, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, so I got cranky and busted out the multimeter. I had wired the reverse wire (safety) into fuse #5, back up light as mentioned in another thread (which I now cannot find).

Turns out fuse #1 (back up) and fuse #5 (back up light) are +12v all the time when the car is on. Not just when you're backing up.

So, the reverse safety was doing it's job perfectly -- the unit was disabled when I had the car on. I removed the reverse wire from fuse 5 and the unit functions. And now, I can DEFINITELY feel the difference between the modes.

My last quest is to find out why my back up fuses are always +12v even when I'm not in reverse.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
I want to follow up and say that this product is definitely geared to the automatic transmission since you plant your foot down once and the throttle over time mappings can do their thing. None of those mappings (especially the ECOs) work right with a manual as every time you shift, it just kills the throttle input when you step back on the gas.

While this is obvious now that I have it, it wasn't obvious how those mappings worked when reading about it. Throttle over time mappings will work every time you press on the gas. With an auto, you do it once. With a manual, you're off and on it every gear. So, ECO mode 1, 2, 3 and BOOST mode 1, 2 are sort of pointless with manual.

I've found the most success with the throttle position remaps (green and red mode) since these don't have a time component, just a remap of the throttle positioning. Red makes the throttle a bit more twitchy, which can be fun. And green mellows out an otherwise heavy foot for smoother accelerations.

Honestly though, I cannot say it's worth the price for a manual transmission.

Cheers.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 AM
Administrator
I do not agree with your throttle and transmission assumptions, depending on the driving condition you will not be on the gas the whole time and the throttle doesn’t map to your gear

Personally, this is the most effective mod IMO for any trans especially if you are in stop/go traffic or need to accelerate onto onramps or maximize throttle

You are the first person I have ever heard to have this issue or input but you’re entitled to your opinion

Old 01-10-2018, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
To be fair, Waiz, you're not running this on a manual transmission, so you won't fully understand how wonky it responds to being constantly on and off the throttle.

When your car shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, you're not pulling your foot off gas, thus the controller doesn't stop it's mapping -- everything is gravy.

When you shift a manual from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, you take your foot off the gas, causing the mapping to stop and start each time. On anything that is a throttle over time mapping (and not a throttle position remap), it resets.

In addition, it's impossible to downshift rev match in an eco mode. The throttle response is just completely gone. To be fair, if you're in eco, downshifts probably aren't your thing anyway, but I'm putting it out there.

I'm no longer utilizing this in my Fit. It's going to move to the wife's Subaru (which is has a CVT, so that should be fun).

Old 08-01-2018, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
bump from the dead, anyone know of these ge8 specific ones, work on gk5's?

Old 08-15-2018, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
answered my own question... I ended up going with a Pedal Commander (PC72)

for GE8's, fitment guide shows PC20. so therefore, it would not work on a gk5