Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-gen-ge8-specific-fit-exterior-modifications-jdm-styling-sub-forum/)
-   -   how to get independant foglights? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-gen-ge8-specific-fit-exterior-modifications-jdm-styling-sub-forum/70637-how-get-independant-foglights.html)

sandblasted 03-07-2012 07:32 PM

how to get independant foglights?

hey everyone,

i searched around and found a few threads about independant fog lights for the GE, but most of the links in the threads are down, or gone. has anyone come up with a DIY without splicing into harnesses and stuff?

if that is the only way to do it, so be it. i'll give it a shot. help?

Goobers 03-07-2012 09:59 PM

Is there a relay for the fog? If so, is it wired to the headlights? Try bypassing it.

sandblasted 03-08-2012 06:38 PM

i'm not sure about that, and/or how to by pass it. lol

Goobers 03-09-2012 02:25 AM

google FTW!!!!

Independent Fog Lights for the 2009 Honda Fit

hum... since a basic relay connects or disconnects one circuit based on a different circuit... why can't you simply remove the relay, and close both circuits (where the relay would've been)?

I mean, instead of reinstalling a relay... put a really short wire from the input for the fog, straight to the output for the Fog. then do the same for the signal wire, in case that is actual circuit for the headlight. I know there's usually a fifth prong, but it's just grounding, so it should be ignorable.

The only issue is, what was mentioned in the first part of the link... no audible beep to warn you that the fog lamps are on. Though, if you're attentive, it shouldn't matter.

sandblasted 03-09-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Goobers (Post 1081217)
google FTW!!!!

Independent Fog Lights for the 2009 Honda Fit

hum... since a basic relay connects or disconnects one circuit based on a different circuit... why can't you simply remove the relay, and close both circuits (where the relay would've been)?

I mean, instead of reinstalling a relay... put a really short wire from the input for the fog, straight to the output for the Fog. then do the same for the signal wire, in case that is actual circuit for the headlight. I know there's usually a fifth prong, but it's just grounding, so it should be ignorable.

The only issue is, what was mentioned in the first part of the link... no audible beep to warn you that the fog lamps are on. Though, if you're attentive, it shouldn't matter.

very interesting points.....i'm just worried about the male connector that you cut, and put into the fuse. i'm worried about it causing some melting, or something to malfunction if it heats up to much.

i was actually hoping for something along the lines of a rewire. something like my civic had. seperate button and would only come on when the car was running.

i think i'll read this some more, and try to figure out a way to not use that type of connector. i am an electrician......:vtec:

Goobers 03-10-2012 12:01 AM

well... now that you've stated you're an electrician... then I don't have to worry about being confusing about what to say.

Go to the fuse.

find the output wire to the fog.

add a wire from there to an input from somewhere else... something that is only on when the car is on (like the A/C).

In fact, this is what folks have done on the Nissan Pathfinder (i read about it when I was still driving the PF).

sandblasted 03-11-2012 08:05 PM

i've been talking to a few journeyman at work about this and they've come up with a couple of ideas. i'm gonna try something here in the next few weeks. i'm working 7 days a week 10 hour shifts right now. lol day 22 today, with 2 more weeks min to go. so once i get some time off, i'll give this a try, and if she all works, DIY will be done....

NewFitGuy09 03-11-2012 08:10 PM

Subscribed!

Goobers 03-12-2012 12:59 AM

ooohhhh, found it.

How To Turn On Foglights Separately from Headlights (Use as DRLs) on your Infiniti QX4 or Nissan Pathfinder

Aside from a few differences, it should be adaptable to the Fit.

sandblasted 03-22-2012 08:48 PM

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=5931

the next step in my process. :hyper:

FitStir 03-23-2012 09:58 AM

What's wrong with Roger's Fit mod here? ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...operation.html (that's the original thread which linked to the above diy/goober's link)

Is this the issue?

Originally Posted by sandblasted (Post 1081407)
very interesting points.....i'm just worried about the male connector that you cut, and put into the fuse. i'm worried about it causing some melting, or something to malfunction if it heats up to much.

Just curious, because quite a few of us did this mod back then, and I haven't heard or seen any complaints of melting or anything like that. :confused: :confused: :confused:
The only downside is that one might forget to turn off the fogs since it's bypassed there won't be any audible reminder (like when you leave the headlights on). Also you get to retain foglight control from the same stalk by the steering wheel. (unless this mod is for the GE8 base :confused: )

I don't want my GE8 catching on fire like those Mini's... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

sandblasted 03-23-2012 11:08 AM

What's wrong with Rogers fit mod is that the site is down, as I mentioned in my first post. That's why I'm making a new thread about it. I'm not a fan of sticking a connector into something it isn't suppose to with a possibility of shorting out. It may work fine and all, but the roads around here are shit and if I hit a pothole and cause it to move a bit it could short and melt. Ill run a separate wire before I do that.

FitStir 03-23-2012 12:52 PM

Site's up, it worked for me.

But I see your side... keep us updated.

Rampo 03-23-2012 08:51 PM

Just throwing an idea out there. When i had my Ford truck, some genius came up with. a simple method that involved cutting off one tab of a 5 tab relay. That was it. Stick the relay back in and the fogs became independant. I know this idea is a shot in the dark, so to speak, but it may trigger an idea from someone who is familiar with the Fit electronics.

Goobers 03-23-2012 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rampo (Post 1085286)
Just throwing an idea out there. When i had my Ford truck, some genius came up with. a simple method that involved cutting off one tab of a 5 tab relay. That was it. Stick the relay back in and the fogs became independant. I know this idea is a shot in the dark, so to speak, but it may trigger an idea from someone who is familiar with the Fit electronics.

that would depend on the relay.

on a 5 "tab" relay, one is ground, two are the circuit being controlled and the remaining two are the controller circuit.

here's the thing, there are also two versions of 5 "tab" relays... fail-on or fail-off, or looked at another way, controller on/off-circuit on/off, control on/off-circuit off/on (notice the order).

cutting that 5th tab forces the relay into a "fail" mode... and is fine if the fail mode is on for the circuit.

HOWEVER, the relay in the Fit... only has 4 prongs... two for the fog, and two from the low beam headlight (controller)... no separate ground.

eurobeaner 03-24-2012 10:01 PM

i want to make mine be able to turn on with the corner lights. corner lights and fogs would be GOOD. that way it still dings at you if you leave the lights on

Goobers 03-24-2012 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by eurobeaner (Post 1085577)
i want to make mine be able to turn on with the corner lights. corner lights and fogs would be GOOD. that way it still dings at you if you leave the lights on

you'll have to read part 2 (starts with a chart and a diagram) of Independent Fog Lights for the 2009 Honda Fit

it basically ties the fog to the parking lights.

I wonder... if you remove the relay for the fog lights... then run a wire from the fuse for the parking lights to power the wire in that removed relay location for the fog... would the fuse survive?

Zalthras 03-29-2012 06:24 PM

Roger's Fit took his original post down and put it on his own site to make a bit of change off of the web hits.

Anyway, independent fogs on the GE Fit is really quite simple compared to my wrx. If you don't like the tab idea, you could try what I did: disconnecting the entire fuse panel, and soldering in a wire tap on the backside connectors (where you'll find the correct wires shown in my diagram here click me for diagram). Also the orange connector 'R' here is where the wires are:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_zmQ79gHlrSg/St...arked%20up.jpg

It was a pain to do, but I don't like squeezing prongs into funny places either.

sandblasted 03-29-2012 09:13 PM

so i went to a buddies place tonight. he had everything we needed to do this. i'll get all the specs of the relay and everything used tomorrow, but for now i'll give a basic run down of what we did.

took a normally open relay, spliced it in with the power for the radio(didn't realize it was radio power till we were done lol). hooked up the ground, and the neutral from the relay, and took the power and hooked it up to a new switch(not the oem one i have on way, just a cheapo from radio shack). so with the new relay hooked in, we ran a wire from the relay thru the fire wall and down to the drivers side foglight, then ran another wire from the drivers side to the passenger side. we found out that of the two wires in the fog lights(green and black) black is the neutral or ground and the green is power. so we cut the green wire, and taped it up. the wire we ran through the firewall we crimped onto the foglight wiring harness. did this to both sides. the black serves as a return path(even tho it is DC)
we then figured out what terminals on the switch were the correct 2 to connect the circuit and we have independent fogs.

i'll post up some pics, and get some info on the relay used, and all that in the next few days, and do a DIY. with the fogs being tied into the power for the radio, the fogs only come on when the car is running or in the "on" as if you were driving. and if you happen to turn the car off and forget about them, when you open the door they will turn out, as does the radio.

bascially this way here, we looked at the car as if it had no foglights, and we were installing a new set. took me a bit to wrap my head around how we were going to do it, but once explained to me by my buddy, it made sense and it worked.

heres a shitty pic. sorry for the angle. garage door was closed and couldn't really get in front of the car. lol. like i said, i'll post more pics in the next fews days.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...27182330_n.jpg

airmike 04-16-2012 04:48 AM

Info and pics???