Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-gen-ge8-specific-fit-interior-modifications-sub-forum/)
-   -   Anyone using Polk Audio db651 Speakers? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-gen-ge8-specific-fit-interior-modifications-sub-forum/54299-anyone-using-polk-audio-db651-speakers.html)

runbikerun 03-29-2010 10:37 PM

Anyone using Polk Audio db651 Speakers?

Hey, I was hoping to avoid the shallow mount Polk db651s speakers to try to get the range from the db651 model. Has anyone mounted these or are they just to deep? Thanks.

Eugene.Atget 03-30-2010 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by runbikerun (Post 833573)
Hey, I was hoping to avoid the shallow mount Polk db651s speakers to try to get the range from the db651 model. Has anyone mounted these or are they just to deep? Thanks.

I plan on installing the shallows in the front tomorrow and will let you know how much clearance there is. If there's enough I might later move the shallows to the rear and order deep ones for the front.

Eugene.Atget 03-31-2010 07:30 PM

Okay, I installed the shallows this afternoon.

Good news first: they sound much better than the stocks. I've still got the stocks in the rear, and when I turn the fader back to them it sounds as though the vocalist is singing over the telephone by comparison. Bass is good but not great--I'd say as strong as the stocks and a bit less muddy. If you really like powerful bass, however, you'll need a subwoofer, or perhaps the deeps will help.

The short answer to your question is that the shallows just barely clear the lowered window when mounted directly to the sheet metal. I very much doubt that you'd get the deeps in there--I'd say the clearance is 1/8" at most.

On the other had, if you can mount them on the ripped out ring from the stock speakers that caveman describes you *might* be able to squeeze the deeps in. I measured, and that ring will give you an extra 5/8", so check with Crutchfield to see how much deeper the deeps are than the shallows.

That said, I was originally going to do things caveman's way, but I wasn't comfortable with how the screws fastened into the plastic ring. You have to mount the speaker off center to avoid the bolt that holds the assembly into the door, and that places the screw holes over some pretty thin areas of plastic. You might be able to work around this by countersinking the bolt that holds the assembly in and then adding the speaker over top of that but, again, it will depend on how comfortable you are with having the screws in plastic that's in places pretty thin.

Instead, I drilled small pilot holes in the steel and then used three self-threading screws to mount the speakers. With a bit of oil on the holes I'm confident that there won't be any corrosion, and it felt like a really solid installation.

I'm ordering two more shallows for the rear doors; I expect that window clearances won't be any different there.

runbikerun 03-31-2010 10:16 PM

Thanks for all you help. I haven't been able to find this info anywhere. I think I will stick to the shallows and eventually get a subwoofer.

Eugene.Atget 04-01-2010 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by runbikerun (Post 834721)
Thanks for all you help. I haven't been able to find this info anywhere. I think I will stick to the shallows and eventually get a subwoofer.

My pleasure. But to follow up, I just talked with both Crutchfield and Polk, and they agree that the deeps are no deeper than the shallows; rather, the extra size is in the *forward* direction, the distance that they protrude from the panel to which the speakers are attached. The "deeps" protrude about 3/4" more than the "shallows" (also, the diameters between the bolt holes are slightly wider on the "deeps," but that isn't an issue with this installation). As I recall, with the "shallows" mounted directly to the sheet metal of the door, there was lots of room in front of the tweeter and before the grill, and so the bottom line is that I strongly suspect that you'll be able to install the db651 speakers (i.e., the "deeps") in the front doors of the 09 Fit Sport, if you're willing to drill into the sheet metal.

My plan now is to order the db651 speakers and try them in the back doors. I'll post again with the results.

runbikerun 04-01-2010 12:59 PM

That would be great if the 651's would work. I just ordered a set. I'll try them in my front door and post again with my results.

Eugene.Atget- Thanks for your info.

runbikerun 04-03-2010 09:15 PM

Another update. I installed the deep Polk db651 in the front and rear doors. No fit problems at all. I used the included adapter rings and just drilled some new holes for the screws. They sound great.

Eugene.Atget 04-04-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by runbikerun (Post 835836)
Another update. I installed the deep Polk db651 in the front and rear doors. No fit problems at all. I used the included adapter rings and just drilled some new holes for the screws. They sound great.

Thanks runbikerun--it's good to know that they fit in the rear doors as well.

It's probably a good idea to use the adapter rings as you've done, as I've noticed that installing them as I did--bolting them directly into the metal with only the gasket that ships with the Polks between the speaker and the metal--leaves the magnet so close to the lowered window that I hear the glass rattle against the magnet when I slam the door with the window all the way down. It's not a big deal, but it takes away somewhat from that otherwise solid Honda feel.

Enjoy your tunes!

olias 04-10-2010 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by runbikerun (Post 835836)

I wonder why Crutchfield's site says that the DB651 won't fit. So runbikerun, was there room for the extra 3/4" up front where the tweeter protrudes? Should I use the slim (DB651s) version? How is the difference in sound between the slim and non-slim (DB651 vs: DB651s)?

TIA, oli

runbikerun 04-11-2010 01:01 AM

Hey, Crutchfield was/is worried about clearance on the face of the speaker and the door panel. I ended up with just enough room to make the tweeter fit. No issues so far. As for the db651s I haven't had a set to compare in person but I am definitely pleased with the db651.

olias 04-11-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by runbikerun (Post 839629)
I ended up with just enough room to make the tweeter fit.

That's what I needed to hear. Thanks... I went ahead and placed my order. I have the Alpine's SPS-600C component speakers in the front and they put the factory speakers in the back doors to shame. I also upgraded the HU to a Pioneer so I could properly drive a shoebox size 8" sub. So this should be the last piece of the puzzle.

olias 04-11-2010 09:43 AM

Oh BTW, these are on sale now at CF but to get the free speaker wire adapters you have to find a Honda that they say fits the DB651. I found that the 2008 Pilot was GO in this case.

jediwolverine 08-07-2017 03:18 AM

I just installed the DB651 that I bought a long time ago. Don't use the Scosche mounting adapters. It'll cause the tweeter to touch the door panel. I had to do the same as runbikerun and drill some holes to use the included brackets.