2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Sound deadening advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Sound deadening advice please.

Hello! I've been lurking around here for quite some time now and I figured I'd finally ask. Don't worry I've searched all around the forums before finally deciding to post but I just want your opinion on this.

I have a 2010 fit sport M/T and I drive to work about 80 miles every day. I love my car but my biggest complaint would have to be the road noise. I am no audiophile but I did some research on sound deadening etc...

Basically here's what I plan to do on a limited budget. Please chime in with your thoughts, suggestions and whatnot.

I plan purchase some Dynamat from Amazon for about $53. Should be enough to cover two front doors (i think). I also plan to add some on the trunk area as I notice that a lot of noise comes from there. Also perhaps adding some batting over the rear wheel arches might help. Also looking into purchasing some 3M rubberized undercoating for the wheel arches. All in all im probably looking at spending around $150 or so.

My question is, would this be worth spending and working on? Do you think it will have a significant enough reduction in road noise? Please note that I am not planning to make my car noise proof or anything like that. Just want to reduce it so that so when I use my hands free for calling I wouldnt have to yell all the time

While on the subject, I plan on purchasing this in the future:

Pioneer FHX700BT

Any thoughts on this as well? Again, thanks in advance! This is an awesome community.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 PM
This has been covered pretty extensively on here. You'll get the best results using Google as a search engine instead of the forums' built in search. Here are some threads for you to check out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 08-14-2013, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Hello,

I got your PM,
so I check this thread of yours

Basically, anything is worth doing because something is better than nothing.
Of course you got to do it step by step if you had limited budget for now.

Ok, the first priority is the FRONT DOOR, so you are already on the right track.
When you dynamat it, make sure you do it inside the door and also cover the holes
on the door metal plate right behind the plastic panel.
I am sure you had read my thread on the way I done this, so just do it the same way.
Later you can add MLV and Closed Cell Foam if you really want to do it right.

Next to do is the REAR DOOR.
because it is the one closer to your driving position than the rear trunk.
After that do the rear trunk, rear hatch door.
for the battling, I think it is better for you to buy acoustic foam since it is not that expensive anyway...

Ok have fun and good luck with your project

Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
This has been covered pretty extensively on here. You'll get the best results using Google as a search engine instead of the forums' built in search. Here are some threads for you to check out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Thank you sir! I missed this one.

Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hello,

I got your PM,
so I check this thread of yours

Basically, anything is worth doing because something is better than nothing.
Of course you got to do it step by step if you had limited budget for now.

Ok, the first priority is the FRONT DOOR, so you are already on the right track.
When you dynamat it, make sure you do it inside the door and also cover the holes
on the door metal plate right behind the plastic panel.
I am sure you had read my thread on the way I done this, so just do it the same way.
Later you can add MLV and Closed Cell Foam if you really want to do it right.

Next to do is the REAR DOOR.
because it is the one closer to your driving position than the rear trunk.
After that do the rear trunk, rear hatch door.
for the battling, I think it is better for you to buy acoustic foam since it is not that expensive anyway...

Ok have fun and good luck with your project
Thank you very much! I decided to buy the GTMAT that you got as well. Only 25ft for now. I will most probably follow your advice and get the acoustic foam instead.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by meki22
Thank you very much! I decided to buy the GTMAT that you got as well. Only 25ft for now. I will most probably follow your advice and get the acoustic foam instead.
Hi,

I think the GTMat is price very cheap
The Car Audio Installer that I installed my sound dampening (for the roof and floor) show me a Dynamat Extreme and Stinger RoadKill product.

The Dynamat Extreme were only slightly heavier than my GTMatUltra 80mil,
but the Stinger RoadKill were much heavier.

still the Stinger Roadkill priced were 3 times my GTMat Ultra 80mil,
so I think the GTMat Ultra 80mil provide the most bang for the buck !

My Car Audio installer of course disagree on this one, since he is selling Stinger hahaha...

but the truth is, this CLD tiles (GTMat/Dynamat/Stinger road kill) were NOT the best sound proofing material.
this CLD tiles only work to dampened the vibration,
but the real sound proofing material is the MLV which is much much much heavier than the CLD tiles.

as you know I install CLD tiles then put layer of Closed Cell Foam on top of CLD then put MLV layer on top of Closed Cell Foam for a triple layer sound dampening/sound proofing.

so why spent too much on CLD tiles when the most critical material is the MLV?
that is why I am glad I used the GTMat Ultra... (and I even more happy caused I bought them when they are on special clearance price hahaha)

now for the MLV tiles, my car audio installer also bought them from home carpet store, which provide the same MLV tiles as specialty audio MLV store at much lower price

so you know,
this car audio installer or car supply shop are usually BIAS in their opinion depend on what they sell and how they make profit on it

Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks for advice everyone! Just sending a quick update. I've installed the GTMat on all doors plus the trunk floor. The sound from my speakers were definitely louder and had more "oomph" to it. It did make the mid tones a bit muddy IMO but not to the point were it bothered me.

As for road noise, theres a slight difference but the one that i've noticed the most is that when i speak i dont have to yell (lol) even when im going 65+mph. I have yet to use the undercoating on my wheel wells but for the $77 ive spent i think its well worth it.

------------------------ NEW HU INSTALLED! ----------------------

Last weekend I got my new HU in the mail and installed it over the weekend. I could not be happier! The sound compared to the stock HU is like night and day. The mid tones arent "muddy" anymore and the bass has been amped up! I cant believe how decent the stock speakers are actually. When I'm playing music, and not even that loud, i cant even hear any of the road noise. The sound in the car is just evenly distributed and none of it seems to be leaking out thanks to the sound deadening. The built in bluetooth with the HU also works wonders. I tried calling a friend while driving at 65mph and he said he can hear me clearly and i didnt have to yell

Again thanks for all the awesome advice! I will post pics later when I'm off work.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
also the tires you roll on will make a huge difference for road noise. afterall, that's where the noise is coming from unless you got a leak somewhere and have big wind noise.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by meki22
------------------------ NEW HU INSTALLED! ----------------------

Last weekend I got my new HU in the mail and installed it over the weekend. I could not be happier! The sound compared to the stock HU is like night and day. The mid tones arent "muddy" anymore and the bass has been amped up! I cant believe how decent the stock speakers are actually. When I'm playing music, and not even that loud, i cant even hear any of the road noise. The sound in the car is just evenly distributed and none of it seems to be leaking out thanks to the sound deadening. The built in bluetooth with the HU also works wonders. I tried calling a friend while driving at 65mph and he said he can hear me clearly and i didnt have to yell

Again thanks for all the awesome advice! I will post pics later when I'm off work.
Did you end up installing the $150 Pioneer one that you linked to? I looked at that one also and it looks like a really nice radio for the price. The only thing that I noticed is it doesn't have a rear USB input, only a front, so I didn't think the USB plug in the upper glove box would work. Do you have steering wheel audio controls, and if so, did you tie it in to those?

-Dustin

Old 09-17-2013, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
I need to do something about the noise in my car.. The engine noise is pure torture between 60 MPH and 80 MPH even with earplugs.. My intake and exhaust changes are sure to make it worse.. Road surface noise in these cars are terrible to begin with.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
sound deadening

I did the floor, the back the doors .... Still could hear the engine and the road bumps.... Finally after few weeks of searching, I changed the tires... With huge improvement but still could hear the engine and the bumps on the road....

So I did sound proofing over the engine compartment right above the engine, were the wiper motor is.... Right behind the plastic cover at the lower part of the windshield .....
And finally, I got the quietest peaceful ride I always hoped for....

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't know anything about sound dampening but I would like to do something on my FIT.
I would like to keep the usage of petrol based material the smallest as possible so I was wondering if using wool for dampening (doors/trunk) would work.

Thanks

Old 11-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Bumping this because I just had this done last week. I decided to do the floors and spare trunk first because I was going to be out-of-town and that was the easiest thing to get done during the time away.

I've noticed a slight difference but it doesn't really feel like it had a strong impact. It may be that if I went in reverse order and did the doors first that then the floor would be noisy, but for now, I'm waiting for a good opportunity to do the doors as well. I definitely feel like more noise is coming from the front but it's hard to say. I'm using Continentals and going to be switching to Blizzak 70s in a couple of weeks, so I'm just hopeful that maybe when I switch to the winter wheels it'll sound different.

I'm not an audiophile either but I just kinda wanted to spoil myself on a car I'll be using as a DD for the next five plus years.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by camivill
So I did sound proofing over the engine compartment right above the engine, were the wiper motor is.... Right behind the plastic cover at the lower part of the windshield .....
And finally, I got the quietest peaceful ride I always hoped for....
Did you use the FatMat style material to do that? What thickness and how many layers did you use? If it made that big of a difference I'm thinking I may do that also. Instead of using FatMat I'd probably just get the similar roof flashing material from Home Depot/Lowes that some others have used.

-Dustin

Old 11-17-2014, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cutriss
I'm not an audiophile either but I just kinda wanted to spoil myself on a car I'll be using as a DD for the next five plus years.
This is definitely a low bang for the buck type of mod if you consider the amount of time or amount of money you have to pay to get it done. Like I mentioned I did all 4 doors, the spare tire well, and behind most of the rear panels above the wheel wells, but I'd still like for it to be quieter. I think a lot of the noise now is coming through all the windows and there's nothing that can be done about that. I'm sure it would help if I did the entire floor, but I'm not willing to go through the trouble of pulling out all the seats and carpet to do that. I am planning to get some Aries 3D floor liners that have some sound deadening material built in and am hoping that will help.

-Dustin