2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I cracked the bolt holding coolant reservoir tank.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
I cracked the bolt holding coolant reservoir tank.

I am doing a coolant change today and tried to take out the reservoir tank to empty the coolant inside. The 10mm bolt cracked the plastic mount behind it. I made sure I had set my ratchet in the loosening direction. It seems like this bolt was seized or something. I didn't see any rust though. Has anyone ever run into this problem?

Old 06-06-2019, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Huh. That bolt it torqued to less than 30 foot pounds per manual. Guess someone said fuck it that day.

I didn't drop my reservoir tank on my flush a few weeks ago, it just all drained on its own.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
I think there is a nut insert in that plastic mount. Now the nut inside just spins free when I try to loosen the 10mm bolt head. So I left it alone. I used a pump to drain out old coolant in the reservoir and refill with new coolant.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:57 PM
I don't have the Fit nearby so only can speculate.

- Maybe you could easily change out the black plastic mount.

- Maybe you could clamp the black plastic mount carefully with Vise-Grips or zip ties. That might allow you to remove the bolt. Then you could thoroughly clean & degrease the black plastic mount, glue with 2-part epoxy, clamp and let cure for 24 hours.

- Even if you decide to do nothing, a few hose clamps or zip ties around the black plastic mount tightly clamped could improve stability and prevent the cracking from getting worse. No guarantees here as the crack already is at the base so this is a temp solution.