Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Brake Pads (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/100756-brake-pads.html)

IfChris_ThenFit 06-06-2019 06:18 PM

Brake Pads

Hey guys, I know I will need to get my brakes done soonish, and have heard great things about akebono pads. I sadly dont have the tools, time, space or skills to do the work myself. I am looking to get the pads and just bring them to a shop.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0031GQF...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Are these all I need? Will they work with otherwise stock components?

Can I just bring these to most shops? Im planning on going to a local shop, the owner is pretty relaxed.

Thanks!

Steve244 06-06-2019 06:59 PM

those will work fine.

Depending on the condition of the rotors and other parts they may not be all you need.

JerrySFL 06-06-2019 08:07 PM

I agree you should probably order two rotors , and brake fluid. I would replace them , you’re already paying for the labor it’s only about $60 for two rotors, don’t even think about cutting them ; they’ll just warp on you . And if it’s time to do brakes it’s time to flush the brake fluid .

punx45 06-06-2019 08:16 PM

Yeah I think I’ve replaced pads alone once in my life and they didn’t last long. It’s worth the extra bucks to do rotors too.

Steve244 06-06-2019 08:22 PM

shrug, 150K on original rotors. Still true (no pulsing). Plenty of service life left. If you turn them (machine, cut, whatever) without really needing to this just shortens the life. Shops like to do this as it increases their rotor replacements especially if they offer lifetime pads/shoes.

spike55_bmw 06-07-2019 07:19 AM

I agree that it's hard to tell with the info you gave on how extensive the 'brake job' will be, and therefore, what to pre-order. If the pads have dug groves into the rotors then it's a bigger / more $ job. You didn't state why you think that you need to change the pads. If you have a 'mushy' pedal, it could be that you have air in the lines and need them flushed / bleed.

More info is needed to advise you properly.

IfChris_ThenFit 06-07-2019 07:37 AM

The rotors look fine, a bit of rust on the lip, but no problems. I got the car in January about 6k miles ago. At the time I got it inspected and was told itd need new brake pads. I intend to do it before I leave to drive cross country in August. just trying to plan stuff out. I will also be getting fluid done. I think rotors are fine, but i can also post a pic of them on here?

Steve244 06-07-2019 07:43 AM

How many total miles on the car? What year is it?

Brake fluid is 3 years regardless of mileage. Rotors have service measurements to determine if they need replacing. It's really not possible to judge from a picture.

spike55_bmw 06-07-2019 07:48 AM

How many total miles on the FIT? I'd get new brake fluid prior to the trip. I've stayed with OEM Honda pads (fronts were changed at 50,000 but still good enough for another 5000 and total miles now at 77,000 on FIT). Years ago, I experimented with slotted rotors and various pads with a pickup truck and eventually went back to basics: rotors warped, etc. Just not worth the extra costs to me.

IfChris_ThenFit 06-07-2019 09:31 AM

2010 with 101k on it. I do use the brakes sparingly (Gotta conserve for that MPG!)
Sadly I have no clue when it was last done.

punx45 06-08-2019 10:18 PM

If there’s no paperwork always assume it was never done.

that said I’m over 180k and don’t think the system has ever been bled. Still works fine. I used to log lots of highway miles, but now my commute is spirited New England country road driving. I’m hard on the brakes. Like experience heat fade hard.

But since you’re already going in for service, you might get a better deal on labor etc doing it all at once rather than going back over and over. Depends on the shop. For a CC trip i’d Probably err on the side of caution and do it all though.

Steve244 06-10-2019 03:40 PM

Brake fluid is hydrophilic (it likes to absorb water) and as such should be replaced every now and then regardless of use. Honda specifies 3 year intervals.