Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   My GE Valve Adjustment (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/100757-my-ge-valve-adjustment.html)

Mister Coffee 06-06-2019 08:29 PM

My GE Valve Adjustment

Yesterday, I did my first valve adjustment on my 2013 Fit. This is the first valve adjustment the car has ever had. Approx. milage: 57,720.

Notes:

1) I removed the air box and the air filter box as one piece. To do this, you have to remove 2 bolts, loosen 1 belt clamp, disconnect 3 wiring harnesses, and pull off one hose. This is a very straightforward procedure.

I would have liked to have removed the throttle body and the plenum as one piece, but the throttle body is in the way of the bolts that secure the plenum.

2) Remove the four bolts that secure the throttle body and move it out of the way. Only disconnect hoses when necessary.

3) 3 bolts secure the plenum: 2 in the rear, 1 in the front. Remove those bolts. Then, unbolt the plenum from the intake manifold (5 bolts), and lift off the plenum. This is also a straightforward procedure.

With the plenum off, you can access the valve cover and the coil packs.

I did not remove the battery for this job.

The job took me 4 hrs 45mins, including changing the spark plugs and checking the valves twice after the adjustment, but not including removing the plastic shroud and the metal shroud. I did the entire job in the carport of my apartment building.

I drove the car today, and everything ran well — maybe a smidge better than before the adjustment (or maybe I'm kidding myself). The valves are a little on the noisy side because I was adjusting them toward the loose side of the range, and I am inclined to leave them as they are. I enjoyed using my Powerbuilt Jam Nut Valve Adjustment Tool for the first time. It made the job a little easier than using the traditional offset box-end wrench and flathead screwdriver. Leaning into the engine bay didn't do my lower back any favors, but if you are less than 100 years old, this shouldn't be a problem.

P.S. I hate feeler gauges, and I will be glad when God or Honda comes up with something better.

This video was helpful:

Steve244 06-06-2019 09:06 PM

After having to replace hydraulic lash adjusters on a Mazda, I can say I'm glad Honda's don't have them. Yeah they make some noise but that's part of the charm.

Pyts 06-10-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Coffee (Post 1429917)
Yesterday, I did my first valve adjustment on my 2013 Fit. This is the first valve adjustment the car has ever had. Approx. milage: 57,720.

Notes:

1) I removed the air box and the air filter box as one piece. To do this, you have to remove 2 bolts, loosen 1 belt clamp, disconnect 3 wiring harnesses, and pull off one hose. This is a very straightforward procedure.

I would have liked to have removed the throttle body and the plenum as one piece, but the throttle body is in the way of the bolts that secure the plenum.

2) Remove the four bolts that secure the throttle body and move it out of the way. Only disconnect hoses when necessary.

3) 3 bolts secure the plenum: 2 in the rear, 1 in the front. Remove those bolts. Then, unbolt the plenum from the intake manifold (5 bolts), and lift off the plenum. This is also a straightforward procedure.

With the plenum off, you can access the valve cover and the coil packs.

I did not remove the battery for this job.

The job took me 4 hrs 45mins, including changing the spark plugs and checking the valves twice after the adjustment, but not including removing the plastic shroud and the metal shroud. I did the entire job in the carport of my apartment building.

I drove the car today, and everything ran well — maybe a smidge better than before the adjustment (or maybe I'm kidding myself). The valves are a little on the noisy side because I was adjusting them toward the loose side of the range, and I am inclined to leave them as they are. I enjoyed using my Powerbuilt Jam Nut Valve Adjustment Tool for the first time. It made the job a little easier than using the traditional offset box-end wrench and flathead screwdriver. Leaning into the engine bay didn't do my lower back any favors, but if you are less than 100 years old, this shouldn't be a problem.

P.S. I hate feeler gauges, and I will be glad when God or Honda comes up with something better.

This video was helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwU0ydFg0o0 .

The empathy was flowing reading this.
Laughed when noticing you excluded the trim-type components from the timeline. Cant include getting confused about the plastic side flaps miraculously finding ways to not sit right for 20 minutes :rotfl: blankly staring at the weird little palm seeds that found their way behind the metal cowl enough times to form a pile.

Had a war that spanned several months with a spider that took up residence in the rear wiper arm. Pressure washer couldnt get em out. Probably fighting its grandkids before seeing the last web strand..

At any rate, nice write-up and enjoyed the commentary.

I'm with yuh in hoping that "slight drag" becomes a number one day.