Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   how many miles do you get w/full tank. (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/32384-how-many-miles-do-you-get-w-full-tank.html)

celph titled 10-07-2008 03:04 PM

how many miles do you get w/full tank.

wonderin. and wasnt too impressed. full tank and wanted to see miles i can get with mostly freeway driving mixed wit light city. and did about 325ish? maybe a little more (didnt drive till the gas light came on)

wonderin what other fits get.?

btw. its a auto

TheSaint 10-07-2008 03:34 PM

There are so many variables in that question that I don't think that I could give you a good answer. The tank level appears to be non-linear or at least incorporates the fill tube which is rather long and makes it appear non-linear. At which point you fill up means something in your question as well. I usually fill up at around 1/4 tank or so.

I get about 42 mpg with my Sport A/T (all hwy driving, my nearest city is over 100 miles away), but that is based on actual gas used, not how much is left in the tank. I start with a full tank, mark miles on odometer, drive, fill up at any point, mark miles again, divide miles driven by gallons put back in and I get mpg. To me, that is the more valuable piece of info. How many miles I get to a tank is kinda irrelevant to me.

But lets take a SWAG at whether 325 would be a reasonable expectation. ;)

I think that most people who are driving in a mix of city/hwy are getting something in the upper 30's. Lets say you are getting 38 mpg and use all but 2 gals of gas and are starting with 10 gals in the tank (wild a$$ assumptions), that should give you about 304 miles on that tank of gas. So I would say that 325 would fit in the range of what one could reasonably expect in that situation.

JMO, of course. :)

GBjaynu 10-07-2008 03:45 PM

How many miles do people get driving mostly local? I was interning in Dallas and got about 35 mpg consistently driving mostly highway and light local. I moved back to campus in Austin and now I'm only getting about 250 miles per tank, which is a huge drop. The big changes in Austin are that I added 16' wheels and I'm driving mostly local.

Did the new wheels cause the huge drop? or is it the local? Thanks FFers.

Fat Ping Cat 10-07-2008 03:50 PM

400 mile range.

edit: haha, i can never tell that its the GE fourm because i always look at new posts and never look at the right column... anyway.. sorry, continue...

TheSaint 10-07-2008 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by GBjaynu (Post 448460)
How many miles do people get driving mostly local? I was interning in Dallas and got about 35 mpg consistently driving mostly highway and light local. I moved back to campus in Austin and now I'm only getting about 250 miles per tank, which is a huge drop. The big changes in Austin are that I added 16' wheels and I'm driving mostly local.

Just guessing here, but I doubt that it is the 16" wheels. I have 16" wheels on mine and am getting excellent mpg. Usually good mileage has much more to do with how/where you drive than anything else. Stop and go is a killer.

celph titled 10-07-2008 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by TheSaint (Post 448451)
There are so many variables in that question that I don't think that I could give you a good answer. The tank level appears to be non-linear or at least incorporates the fill tube which is rather long and makes it appear non-linear. At which point you fill up means something in your question as well. I usually fill up at around 1/4 tank or so.

I get about 42 mpg with my Sport A/T (all hwy driving, my nearest city is over 100 miles away), but that is based on actual gas used, not how much is left in the tank. I start with a full tank, mark miles on odometer, drive, fill up at any point, mark miles again, divide miles driven by gallons put back in and I get mpg. To me, that is the more valuable piece of info. How many miles I get to a tank is kinda irrelevant to me.

But lets take a SWAG at whether 325 would be a reasonable expectation. ;)

I think that most people who are driving in a mix of city/hwy are getting something in the upper 30's. Lets say you are getting 38 mpg and use all but 2 gals of gas and are starting with 10 gals in the tank (wild a$$ assumptions), that should give you about 304 miles on that tank of gas. So I would say that 325 would fit in the range of what one could reasonably expect in that situation.

JMO, of course. :)

honestly, never owned a car with mpg like the fit. so i was excepting more. i really tried to hit upper 300s or near 400. couldnt do it.

i do about 80miles a day.5 days a week. about 20 miles would be city.

celph titled 10-07-2008 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat (Post 448463)
400 mile range.

edit: haha, i can never tell that its the GE fourm because i always look at new posts and never look at the right column... anyway.. sorry, continue...

wow 400? is this a GD thing? or do you just drive really slow?

FITrunner 10-07-2008 04:12 PM

I get about 300 or so miles per tank. Give or take. Averages about 31-32mpg. During my drives to Colorado which I do a couple times a year I get about 38-39mpg. I know there are folks here that get better mpg, but it doesn't bother me that I get less, because I am still getting more than my old Integra did.

nmfit2008 10-07-2008 04:16 PM

miles on a tank

I think many people on this thread do not read the hypermiler's threads. It is easy to burn a full 10 gal per tank, because you can easily put 12 gal in the tank due to the long filler tube.

Many of us are getting over 40 mpg....I do very little hypermiling, other than run my tires at 45 psi (makes a huge diff). My last tank was 44.2 mpg, and that was all town and mountain driving. So a 400 mile tank is easy to do, but the real hypermilers are now getting 500 mi., and even 600 mi., and one fellow just got a 700 mile tankful.:vtec:

So do not settle for 325 miles....the Fit is an awesome car...just do some sensible things and you will see.:rotfl:

BrettC 10-07-2008 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by GBjaynu (Post 448460)

Several things here coud be a factor:
1) Dallas is a helluva a lot flatter than Austin which borders the Texas Hill Country, so your engine is working more going up and down hills.
2) Austin freeways have more height, so you are climbing more. The on ramps are steeper and the freeways are double decker types.
3) Austin has more traffic jams as well as stop and go traffic with more frequent stop signs and intersection lights.

I would say it's local driving, more frequent stopping, and a city that has different topography.

celph titled 10-07-2008 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by BrettC (Post 448533)
Several things here coud be a factor:
1) Dallas is a helluva a lot flatter than Austin which borders the Texas Hill Country, so your engine is working more going up and down hills.
2) Austin freeways have more height, so you are climbing more. The on ramps are steeper and the freeways are double decker types.
3) Austin has more traffic jams as well as stop and go traffic with more frequent stop signs and intersection lights.

I would say it's local driving, more frequent stopping, and a city that has different topography.

this is true. i however live in portland. hills after hills.

cruzitude 10-07-2008 08:13 PM

It also depends on the gas used ... the oxygenated crap in California significantly hurts mileage, but hey it burns cleaner :confused:

trancedsailor 10-07-2008 08:24 PM

100% city driving. Every single tank, no matter if it was constant 3k shifts, or fullblown beating the shit out of it, I always get 270-280. Always.

OR Blu09 10-08-2008 01:40 AM

Milage

My wife drives 47 miles one way over the coast range to work in Florence Oregon, 4 days a week. This is hilly and twisty all the way and she always gets a minimum of 330 to 340 miles on a tank. The last fill up was 9.88 gallons and she traveled 332 miles. We don't even think about hitting the gas station until we see about 325 miles on the trip meter. Except for one of the hills, and and a real twisty stretch, my wife just sets the cruise at 60mph and goes. She gets about 50 more miles per tank in the Fit vs our SUV that she used to drive, but the gas tank on the SUV was twice the size of the Fit's!! When I drive, however, the mileage tends to go down some but mostly because I have a heavy foot :)

I did not think about the long filler tube holding extra gas... now I'm wondering how far we can push it!

Black01 10-08-2008 08:14 AM

I have a GD3 and I am getting 420-450 miles a tank.

Black01 10-09-2008 10:57 PM

Any other GE that have tried how much miles they can get? I'm curious. today I was able to get 483.5 in my tank of gas with a refill of 10.571.

CBX 10-10-2008 03:45 AM

Now I'm curious. Were you carrying a gas can?

celph titled 10-10-2008 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Black01 (Post 451211)
Any other GE that have tried how much miles they can get? I'm curious. today I was able to get 483.5 in my tank of gas with a refill of 10.571.

what the hell...how'd you manage to do that? i know VA is not so flat. (i dont think last time ive been there:confused:)

fliptwister 10-10-2008 12:05 PM

I got 330 - 380 miles on my first 6 tanks. I live in a rural area so most of that is country roads with some highways. I drive about 5 - 10 over the speed limit and I accelerate to about 4,000 - 4,500 rpms when shifting(MT). Once in a while I go to 6,500 rpms. I know I could get better mileage if I shifted at lower rpms but I'm having too much fun. :) If I can get 33+ mpg driving as hard as I am I'm loving it!

jayu 10-10-2008 12:14 PM

about 280... I think my tire pressure is low though & I do alot of city driving plus the freeway is a bit hilly. I fill about 9-9.5 gallons each time from different gas stations.