Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Nose Mask (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/39849-nose-mask.html)

SalemFIT 03-13-2009 09:22 PM

Nose Mask

I had my first nasty bumper ding from a road rock and I am thinking about buying a nose mask (bumper bra). Adding a clear plastic protective sheet is too expensive for me. So, I’m wondering about the use and care of the mask. How closely do you need to follow the instructions that Honda gives for the nose mask? Can you leave the mask on during and after rainy days? The instructions say to take it off and dry is out if it gets wet. Since I live in Oregon there will be lots of rainy days but I still want to protect the bumper and hood. My thought is to keep it on during the work week and then take it off on the weekends to dry out. Any advice on the use of these masks would be appreciated. Things to look out for, etc.

redrumm 03-13-2009 09:24 PM

i have kept it on during rainy days. no problems

but the bumper part is a lot harder to remove than the hood part.

i take it off mostly on the weekends to clean and dry it out anyways.

it will be fine just keep it clean and well taken care of

FireFox91 03-13-2009 09:40 PM

I had one for my last car. I didn't use it all the time which is the key to keeping the car looking good. If you never take it off the paint will fade outside of the mask but not inside. It also can accumulate dirt under it and scratch the paint. I rotated mine having it on and off whenever I decided to make a change. In the end the car still looked great when I sold it. Of course my primary reason for getting it wasn't for rocks, it was for love bugs. These things come around about twice a year in Florida in droves. They are harmless to people but their guts eat paint quickly. The nose mask was great for that. I may have to consider getting one for my Fit for the same reason but I don't like the way it looks too much. If I get it, it will only be on for the love bug season.

boojum 03-13-2009 11:00 PM

I am thinking about a nose mask, too. But for ~$300 I can get the 3M job for the hood, fenders and mirror done in Vancouver, WA. It is way cheaper than a paint job, looks like stock and takes wash and wax OK.

I got in touch with Ultimatewindowtinting.com. The are the only ones to answer my e-mail. Go figure.

solbrothers 03-13-2009 11:19 PM

itll rub and shit and you will destroy your paint. my parents had one on their jeep.

if i were you, id get the 3m clear bra installed if you really want front end protection

redrumm 03-14-2009 11:32 AM

$300??

where is it that much?

solbrothers 03-14-2009 12:13 PM

ebay? itll be more installed

hondaacclx84 03-14-2009 01:57 PM

if you remove it to wash the car you should be fine. Its exactly the same for roof racks, you don't need to worry about them if you take them off each time you wash your car. I have roof racks on my MK3 VR6 for almost a year and no problems so far.

solbrothers 03-14-2009 02:31 PM

but the leather bra doesnt adhere to the car, so when you drive, it is constantly moving, rubbing your paint. not good

jimrb66 03-14-2009 02:40 PM

nose mask or clear shield

Hi It's a little more in cost but the clear shield is the best way to go.I had mine installed last july and my Fit still looks new.The deluxe shield covers the hood,front bumpers,mirrors,front and front fenders. cost $488 total.
jimrb66:wavey:

hondaacclx84 03-14-2009 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by solbrothers (Post 605304)
but the leather bra doesnt adhere to the car, so when you drive, it is constantly moving, rubbing your paint. not good

If mounted correctly it should fit snug so it doesn't move around when you drive. The hood part could keep more moisture and debris 'cause of the top part being open between the hood and the leather even if its tight but as I said, if you remove it regularly when you wash the car you should be fine.

redrumm 03-14-2009 06:00 PM

The nosemask fits really tight and barely moves. I have trouble sometimes even putting it on cause its so tight. Its easy to take off though and brush it off. I don’t have scratches and I run my pretty much every day

FireFox91 03-15-2009 04:44 PM

I owned one for nearly 10 years on my last car. If it fits tightly, you take it off when washing and you take it off for extended periods of time it will be fine. It is only going to scratch your paint if you don't take care of it.

boojum 03-15-2009 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by jimrb66 (Post 605313)
Hi It's a little more in cost but the clear shield is the best way to go.I had mine installed last july and my Fit still looks new.The deluxe shield covers the hood,front bumpers,mirrors,front and front fenders. cost $488 total.
jimrb66:wavey:

Did you get the 3M treatment or some other? How does it wash? How does it wax? How does it protect? Curious minds want to know.

EUROz*JDMz 03-15-2009 11:18 PM

have you checked with:
Paint Protection for your vehicle. Also known as Invisible Bra. Welcome to InvisibleMask.com
Their prices are very affordable, and not as ugly as a bra.

I plan to do that on our FIT and my R32 after I sell my Integra.;)

boojum 03-15-2009 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by EUROz*JDMz (Post 606340)
have you checked with:
Paint Protection for your vehicle. Also known as Invisible Bra. Welcome to InvisibleMask.com
Their prices are very affordable, and not as ugly as a bra.

I plan to do that on our FIT and my R32 after I sell my Integra.;)

I can pay ~$30 more and have it installed, the same thing. I'll go with installed.

solbrothers 03-15-2009 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by hondaacclx84 (Post 605412)
If mounted correctly it should fit snug so it doesn't move around when you drive. The hood part could keep more moisture and debris 'cause of the top part being open between the hood and the leather even if its tight but as I said, if you remove it regularly when you wash the car you should be fine.

barely moves is still moving.

hondaacclx84 03-16-2009 12:56 AM

I said it doesn't move if mounted correctly, I've never said that it barely moves...

BTW he also said it and he had one for nearly 10 years...

I owned one for nearly 10 years on my last car. If it fits tightly, you take it off when washing and you take it off for extended periods of time it will be fine. It is only going to scratch your paint if you don't take care of it.

EzeE1o 03-16-2009 05:40 PM

Junk on Your Trunk: 15 Terrible Automotive Accessories - Feature/Best/Worst Lists/High Performance/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

"
The Leather/Vinyl Car Bra
The Goal: Paint protection. The preservation of good looks.
The Reality: A moisture-retaining, air-catching, scratch-inducing dirt ’stache of an add-on that actually trashes your paint while you watch. No lift. No separation. No cleavage. Fail! Boo! Hiss!"

solbrothers 03-16-2009 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by EzeE1o (Post 606978)
Junk on Your Trunk: 15 Terrible Automotive Accessories - Feature/Best/Worst Lists/High Performance/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

"
The Leather/Vinyl Car Bra
The Goal: Paint protection. The preservation of good looks.
The Reality: A moisture-retaining, air-catching, scratch-inducing dirt ’stache of an add-on that actually trashes your paint while you watch. No lift. No separation. No cleavage. Fail! Boo! Hiss!"

a dude i could kick it with

hondaacclx84 03-16-2009 08:04 PM

I'm not gonna keep this thread moving along the same line but ask him if he ever removed it to wash and wax his car regularly. These last steps are the clue of a well used leather bra.

collodea 05-13-2009 12:09 AM

The mask doesn't fit my Fit

Anyone who has used the mask have a problem getting it to Fit? I just got one for my 2009 Sport. So far only tried putting on the hood part and I can't get it to stretch on. It seems like the corners won't stretch enough and are bunched up. Supposedly they sent me the '09 mask (not an '08). Anyone have a similar problem or have any suggestions?
Thanks

Committobefit08 05-13-2009 04:50 PM

The Leather/Vinyl Car Bra = Paint is going to get scratched to heck.

Here is my solution. Worry free!
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post651089

peg_leg 05-13-2009 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by collodea (Post 651751)
Anyone who has used the mask have a problem getting it to Fit? I just got one for my 2009 Sport. So far only tried putting on the hood part and I can't get it to stretch on. It seems like the corners won't stretch enough and are bunched up. Supposedly they sent me the '09 mask (not an '08). Anyone have a similar problem or have any suggestions?
Thanks

i ordered one two weeks ago and got it home tried this and that it never fit so i took it back.

collodea 05-13-2009 10:36 PM

Ugh

Yeah, I tried it again this a.m. and it just absolutely will not stretch enough to fit properly. And that's just the hood mask. I didn't try the other, more complicated, part. I was going to ask a neighbor who is more adept at such things. But sounds like I may wind up sending mine back, too. Which is too bad, 'cos it would look really cool if it fit as well as protect the car from dings and bugs.

FireFox91 05-14-2009 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Committobefit08 (Post 652281)
The Leather/Vinyl Car Bra = Paint is going to get scratched to heck.

Only if you don't take care of it. I had one on and off for nearly 10 years on my last car. You would have never known it was there at the time I sold it. I am looking to get one for my Fit for bug season and long road trips.

andrewshrm 10-05-2011 05:05 PM

I just installed the full nose mask on my 2012 Fit Base AT during my lunch break. I sympathize with those who had trouble making the upper section fit the hood, but I didn't have any such problems. The fit is supposed to be really tight out of the box; you just have to tug on it and stretch it. The lower section was a little more time consuming. I plan on removing it every other week or so when I wash.

As far as tiny scratches and paint fading; I'll take both of those over big paint chips, dings, and road rash any day of the week. My 2012 is Alabaster Silver, so hopefully that will minimize any adverse affects over time.

I think the mask looks great - more aggressive than stock.

Texas Coyote 10-05-2011 05:24 PM

My wife surprised me when she got one for me to install on her Forester a couple of years ago.. I told her about the problems and how to avoid them by removing it to clean and wax under it.. No problems whatsoever and the car is looking as good as when brand new... Wish I could say the same for my Fit.

Santiad 10-05-2011 07:49 PM

I had the mask for my 09 fit (I think I have photos of it on) and like others have mentioned it fits tight and I liked alternating looks (top on/bottom off, top off/bottom on)

Eventually it stopped fitting so snug, with the tabs that go into the side of the headlight not staying in (which looked bad and made it flap on the sides a bit).

I ended up getting rid of it altogether cuz even though I took it off to clean it and clean the car, i still got some scratching.

I ended up getting a magnetbra (great product!)for the top and will either repaint or pick up a new bumber when it gets to the point that I cant bear to look at it....by that time it'll be so old I'll probably sticker bomb it for shig and tiggles...

littleblackcar 11-15-2011 07:13 PM

Does anyone know where I can get just the hood part of the mask for a 2011 Base?