Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Who has tinted their windshield??? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/41625-who-has-tinted-their-windshield.html)

jjanaya21 04-21-2009 03:20 PM

Who has tinted their windshield???

Anyone???

Let me know and post some pics! :)

Thinking about doing it, probably not with dark tint or anything, but just something to block those damn UVs!!!

mikejet 04-21-2009 03:28 PM

Illegal in California. Not going to do it.

jjanaya21 04-21-2009 03:32 PM

Its not illegal... it just depends on the %

Committobefit08 04-21-2009 03:37 PM

illegal in Ohio

:popc:

mikejet 04-21-2009 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jjanaya21 (Post 636114)

From CHP-Frequently Asked Questions of the Highway Patrol

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:
  1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
  2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.
However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

phoryu2nv 04-21-2009 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by jjanaya21 (Post 636114)

how long have you lived in cali?

jjanaya21 04-21-2009 03:48 PM

Okay... so no one has done this?

I'm not looking to get the F'r tinted dark... just a light light light tint to keep the car cool...

mikejet 04-21-2009 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by jjanaya21 (Post 636133)
Okay... so no one has done this?

I'm not looking to get the F'r tinted dark... just a light light light tint to keep the car cool...

Did you not read my post? It is 100% ILLEGAL in California. Regardless of what % you get. Even a tint strip at the top is illegal.

Get visors and then crack your windows and get a sunshade.

kenchan 04-21-2009 03:53 PM

how is a light light light tint going to help? the glass already has UV control... you're better off getting the rear side windows and rear tinted and use those shiny silver deep frier splash protector thingies (only japanese folks might know wat im talking about :D hahaha ) on the front winshield.

Paul_A 04-21-2009 04:46 PM

in CALI, it is ILLEGAL ofcourse..

but if you get the lightest percentage tint you could possibly get, you could potentially get away with it.. somewhere between 50%-70% would do.

it doesnt matter how dark or light the tint is, the whole purpose is to block most of UV and produce less heat into the vehicle.

Fitguy07 04-21-2009 04:46 PM

I think it's illegal in NY too, not sure.

skeezy 04-21-2009 04:57 PM

this guy i work with has a real dark tint on his windshield. he drives it to work too. he did it cause he has a lot of awesome stereo equipment in his car. his car is insane. he doesn't drive a fit though.

cardinal 04-21-2009 04:58 PM

State by state tint laws: Auto Window Tint Laws - TintCenter.com

qbmurderer13 04-21-2009 05:21 PM

Wow living in cali must suck :rotfl: So many damn rules.

My entire car is tinted 15% except the windshield which is 70%. Cops have better things to do here than pull people over for tint. I've had all my cars windows tinted really dark and had the windshield with a light tint and have never been ticketed. Its a necessity down here. I just did the windshield to block out the UV's and keep my car cooler in the summer. Looks a tad bit darker but you still can't tell its there. Looks stock.

kenchan 04-21-2009 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_A (Post 636176)
it doesnt matter how dark or light the tint is, the whole purpose is to block most of UV and produce less heat into the vehicle.

but the stock glass already have UV blockers... :confused:

Ms. Sheila :] 04-21-2009 05:59 PM

You can get a strip of tint across the top if that help. :o

SarahVTEC 04-21-2009 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13 (Post 636197)
Wow living in cali must suck :rotfl: So many damn rules.

Yeah, it's difficult to be a car enthusiast in Ca. :( You can't do much without getting hassled and/or fined about something. All for the love of money...

Alpha Zero 04-21-2009 06:50 PM

i have all my windows tinted except the windshield, but if you get the rears dark and the windshield light, cops won't hassle u. hell, they probably won't even be able to tell. just don't go doing stupid shit to get pulled over and they won't care. cops generally won't pull you over JUST for tint. They will pull you over for something else and add the tint ticket in there for good measure.

Cat 04-21-2009 08:01 PM

I have a slight tint on the front windshield but it has never caused me a problem.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3261/rosemary047.jpg

Cat :x

Moltisanti2009 04-21-2009 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by SarahVTEC (Post 636229)
Yeah, it's difficult to be a car enthusiast in Ca. :( You can't do much without getting hassled and/or fined about something. All for the love of money...

Or maybe it's for police officer safety. I sure as hell wouldnt' want to walk up to a car with it's windows up and tinted at night. Would you?